Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test in Tallaght on Friday

• 30-04-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭

Have my test out in Tallaght on Friday , looking forward to it , have passed 4 pretests, I have failed in Wicklow twice before but I'm looking forward to this more as the roads are much better, anyone got last min advice / comments on Tallaght testers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Im not learning to drive in tallaght, but in Carrick-on-shannon. What I'l be trying to do is learn the hand signals, road signs and parts of the car. How to check oil level, how to de-mist your rear window. etc. Best of luck. :)

Im not learning to drive in tallaght, but in Carrick-on-shannon. What I'l be trying to do is learn the hand signals, road signs and parts of the car. How to check oil level, how to de-mist your rear window. etc. Best of luck. :)

Yeah I know about all that craic , failed twice in Wicklow but me and my instructor are very suspicious about the marks , therefore moving to tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

Its been a few years since I did my test out there. Just try be calm relax the examiner might ask you to pop bonnet and ask where water tank and coolant tank is? So would be good knowing where they are.

Also take your time driving if your not sure whether a road is 50 or 60 km ask him or her. My best advice is to constantly look at mirrors all of them the instructor will be looking to see if ya are so quick glance every few mins at all the mirrors. Two hands on the wheel when you turn wheel dont cross arms feed the wheel to other hand. When you stop handbrake up in neutral thats my best advice. I had my test there I was 18 years of age passed first time

Davy r wrote: »
    Its been a few years since I did my test out there. Just try be calm relax the examiner might ask you to pop bonnet and ask where water tank and coolant tank is? So would be good knowing where they are.

Also take your time driving if your not sure whether a road is 50 or 60 km ask him or her. My best advice is to constantly look at mirrors all of them the instructor will be looking to see if ya are so quick glance every few mins at all the mirrors. Two hands on the wheel when you turn wheel dont cross arms feed the wheel to other hand. When you stop handbrake up in neutral thats my best advice. I had my test there I was 18 years of age passed first time

Failed twice in Wicklow and I'm 17, fingers crossed now , I find Tallaght much better

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

watch out for stray horses

Haven't done the test (yet) but my advice is exude confidence. Driving alone, I'm fine. Anytime I'm with my instructor, I always second-guess myself and hesitate (I spend more time thinking about him looking at me than I do thinking about what I should be doing). This always leads to me making mistakes (generally small mistakes - haven't hit anyone yet, but still...).

So my plan/advice is to just be overly confident (not smug or in-your-face) and if you do make a mistake, forget about it instantly. Otherwise it'll be in your head and you'll be over-thinking it, putting you off what you're doing.

... And sure at the end of the day, t'is only a test. You'll pass sooner or later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

I just done my test recently (in Rathgar)

Advice I can give: -

Know possible test route/area as well as possible

Read rules of road - you will be asked to identify numerous road signs and asked questions like, what are rules of junction box, what is clearway etc and demonstrate hand signals (usually after turnabout)

Know various parts of engine/internal controls (demist back window etc) - you will be asked to identify/explain how to use these

Drive confidentially and carefully but watch progression.. use appropriate gears..

Mirrors, mirrors mirrors! Before indicating, before avoiding a hazard, before braking, before gear changes, when pulling in, when pulling off and when changing lanes (dont forget blind spots!)

Practice manoveurs, hill starts, turnabout and reverse around corners.. Tips for last two, put window down as helps you hear oncoming traffic you can also adjust mirror for reverse just dont forget to reposition it! They usually ask you to turn left after reverse so dont forgot to indicate right pull off using normal routine, then indicate left. If there is traffic during reverse/turnabout acknowledge it/stop. Or in my case if Gards are waiting on you doing turnabout laughing at you smile back it them !!

Scan junctions even when you have green light.. again in my case you might have an old dear clearing braking red light and you may have to stop!

Hope the above helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Have a look here

Failed by 3, gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Well damn :[

Something I'm wondering; in the OP did you mean you failed 2 pretests in Wicklow, or real tests?

Well damn :[

Something I'm wondering; in the OP did you mean you failed 2 pretests in Wicklow, or real tests?

2 real tests, hated wicklow, should have gone to tallaght to begin with, passed all pretests in tallaght.
    got 2 marks for progression turning right, but i didnt feel it was safe to go as there was a car incresing speed coming from the left.
    Also on the monourvers, ie on the reverse i begin to reverse, stop , handbrake, go to neutral, and do obs, then into gear and reverse.this is what my instructor said. tester said i should stop, handbrake, keep in gear, do obs then reverse.

on the reverse i begin to reverse, stop , handbrake, go to neutral, and do obs, then into gear and reverse.this is what my instructor said. tester said i should stop, handbrake, keep in gear, do obs then reverse.

I'd agree with your tester here. Time and attention spent going into neutral and putting the handbrake on could be spent either finishing the maneuver or observing. Not to mention that by going into neutral you're losing 50% of your potential momentum control (50% brakes 50% accelerator)

Also, it's important to realize that when you are about half way through the move, it is the most dangerous position. Caution is one thing, but the more time you spend actually negotiating the corner and reversing, the more time there is for someone to either approach from behind, or from behind on the side road.

The only times when observation should take strict priority over progression in the reverse are 1. setting off, and 2. just before you turn the wheel as the front will swing out.

Your reverse should be smooth and slow, but not at a snails pace. Personally, the only time I slowed right down was just before I swung the wheel to take the corner. In this time I was moving ever so slightly, I did a 6 point check to check everywhere around me, before switching back to the rear window observation.

he failed me because of this basically

he failed me because of this basically

Have you stayed with the same instructor for all 3 tests btw? I'd recommend getting another for a lesson or two and see what comments he makes.

Have you stayed with the same instructor for all 3 tests btw? I'd recommend getting another for a lesson or two and see what comments he makes.

Yea same instructor , going to go with a different one for next pre test when I get a date for a second opinion , my instructor suggested this , see what the other instructor says then go to my current one for final pre test , not doing anymore lesson as I don't need them

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Yea same instructor , going to go with a different one for next pre test when I get a date for a second opinion , my instructor suggested this , see what the other instructor says then go to my current one for final pre test , not doing anymore lesson as I don't need them

My instructor told me to do the reverse at about walking pace, definitely not take it out of gear when pausing or stopping. PM me if you want his details he used to be a Driving Tester in Tallaght.

greyc wrote: »
    My instructor told me to do the reverse at about walking pace, definitely not take it out of gear when pausing or stopping. PM me if you want his details he used to be a Driving Tester in Tallaght.

Cheers , if I do this next time that's what il do , I know now . Have the number of a ex tester in Tallaght for my next time , will give u a shout if I'm lookin for another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

for a second opinion ?

But you appear to be ignoring the three opinions you received from the RSA examiners. These give the definitive report on your driving and are the only one that matter.

Also you say "not doing anymore lesson as I don't need them". You received eleven faults in your last test, I would say that the examiner who gave you those faults would disagree.

My advice, take a proper lesson or two where the instructor will observe your driving for a minute or two, then give you some constructive advice and spend the reminder of the lesson correcting those faults.

Forget the pretests

Advertisement