Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adebayor (Mod warning Post #35)

• 14-09-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5558457,00.html
    Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor does not believe he should be banned following his behaviour in Saturday's victory over former club Arsenal.

The Togo star scored City's third goal in a 4-2 win over the Gunners and caused controversy by running the length of the field to celebrate in front of away fans.

Adebayor, who left Arsenal this summer in a £25million deal, is also in hot water after appearing to stamp on the face of ex-team-mate Robin van Persie.

Critics have called for the 25-year-old to be handed a suspension, but he does not think he has done anything wrong and has yet to hear from the Football Association.

"I don't know what I have done wrong to get banned," said Adebayor in The Sun.

Mistake

"I have not heard the police or FA want to talk to me. The club have not said anything."

Adebayor admits he made a mistake by running in front of the Gunners supporters after they reacted angrily and a steward was struck by a thrown object.

But he maintains that the act was not premeditated, adding: "It was silly to run up in front of the Arsenal fans. But these people have been insulting me all game.

"Even in the warm-up they were insulting me. They were saying things that are not nice to hear, personal things.

"I didn't plan it, not at all. I didn't even know that I would score. The way things were going from the warm-up, at the end it came into my head.

Apologise

"I would like to apologise to the steward for what happened, why not?"

Adebayor is also looking forward to playing against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on 24th April 2010.

He said: "I can go and play at the Emirates for the return game, why not? I play for Manchester City and if they want me to go and play, I will play."

Adebayor also claims that Van Persie, who branded his former colleague's actions 'mindless and malicious', did not accept an apology after the match.

He added: "After the game I saw him and said sorry but he didn't even want to speak to me."

Mark Hughes has spoken out following this weekend’s fantastic 4-2 win over Arsenal.

The Blues boss has acknowledged that the superb game produced many talking points both on and off the field.

“There has been much discussion over the weekend regarding the various incidents in Saturday’s game which is understandable,” said the manager.

“Emmanuel Adebayor sustained a tremendous amount of personal abuse from the kick-off but strongly maintains that there was no malice intended in the challenge on Robin Van Persie and apologised to him when he hugged him on leaving the field of play at the end of the game.

“The referee had a great view of the challenge from Ade and the one that preceeded it by Van Persie and deemed at the time that neither were worthy of either a yellow or red card.

1ruomd.gif

Robin-van-Persie_2359773.jpg

I found this bit funny "After the game I saw him and said sorry but he didn't even want to speak to me."

you stamp on his head on purpose and you expect an apology will do,what planet is he living on ?
    The Football Association have confirmed that they will 'take a close look' at the two incidents involving Emmanuel Adebayor in Manchester City's 4-2 win over Arsenal.

City took a huge step in their bid to wrestle fourth spot from the Gunners and maybe even mount a title challenge when they overcame Arsene Wenger's men at Eastlands on Saturday.

However two incidents involving Adebayor made sure that the game will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Robin van Persie has accused Adebayor of a 'mindless and malicious' stamp after being caught in the face by the Togo international's boot.

Adebayor then went on to put City 3-1 up and proceeded to run the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the visiting supporters, nearly inciting a riot in the stands.

The 25-year-old was booked by referee Mark Clattenburg for the celebration and the player immediately apologised for his actions after the game but the FA have now revealed that they will carefully study both incidents.

In a similar incident Manchester United defender Gary Neville was suspended for two matches after he celebrated a late winner against Liverpool at Old Trafford in 2006 in front of the visiting Merseyside contingent.

I think we'll be hearing an answer today about this matter

the papers are saying it will be a 4 match ban 3 for the stamp and 1 for the celebration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Celebration was already punished wasn't it?

When did the PL change their rules that they could review an incident that already had action taken by the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Headshot wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5558457,00.html

1ruomd.gif

Robin-van-Persie_2359773.jpg

I found the bit funny "After the game I saw him and said sorry but he didn't even want to speak to me."

you stamp on head on purpose and you expect an apology will do,what planet is he living on ?

I think we'll be hearing an answer today about this matter

the papers are saying it will be a 4 match ban 3 for the stamp and 1 for the celebration

If that's all he's going to get, then he's a lucky boy. You could tell he was wound up big time. I thought he would've got about a 6 match ban, with a heavy fine, and also additional punishment from his club....?

4 match ban would be lucky?!

how many do you think he should get? 10?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

In my opinion,a 6 match ban would suffice.It is clear from the graphic that he looks down and extends his foot to Van Persie's face and I also don't believe the celebration was not pre-meditated.From the insults and boos he got during the warmup,I'd say he had it in his head to get one up on the Arsenal fans should he score.

Funny how he shaked hands with Eboué et al after the game yet targeted Van Persie.Definitely deserves a ban.I don't care what Roy Keane has to say on Newstalk or any of the radio stations.When you go out to hurt another player,you take your punishment end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Red Card - where was the ref?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think a 4 match ban is fine for the stamp, he was already booked for his celebration and he apologized for it so that should be that.

Does Van Persie get a 3 match ban for his shocking tackle on Adebayour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mr Alan wrote: »

When did the PL change their rules that they could review an incident that already had action taken by the ref?

yeah i believe no further action can be taken for the celebration as he was already punished for it!

imo a 4 match ban for that stamp is not enough! it was an absolute disgrace and as headshot said what did he expect from van persie? a hug after he "apologised"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Apparently there are specific types of incidents which they can review even if the ref has taken action, and incitement is one of them. I think he will be very lucky to get away with anything less than a 6 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does Van Persie get a 3 match ban for his shocking tackle on Adebayour?
    Didn't Lee Bowyer get a 6 match ban for a stamp in some European match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

3 matches and a fine would be enough I reckon.

6 would be overkill imo

if he gets 6 its a ****ing farce tbh, and i hate the bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Didn't Lee Bowyer get a 6 match ban for a stamp in some European match?

4 games for stamping on a Malaga player in the Uefa Cup in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Agreed, should be 3 for the stamp and a fine and warning for the celebration. Of course the important thing is that it is fasttracked to be in place for the derby at the weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Stand in the bold corner for the rest of the day, tut tut

Seriously it has to be 3 games plus for the cowardly stamp and he will prob get a large fine (small to him tho :rolleyes:)

Funny old game it is, Scholes gets red for his two fouls and Adebayor stays on the pitch for his. Hardly consistency.

was that stamp more blatant than Adebayours?

imo no one can say for sure he meant to rake Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

There is talk of a third incident (a stamp on Fabregas) been also investigated by FA this morning in one or two papers .

Think he'll get 4 games and a fine for the stamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The way I see it, he was stupid to run to the Arsenal fans to celebrate and the distance covered made it even worse. I'm sure the Arsenal fans were giving him dog's abuse but he's the professional and as such should've behaved in a professional manner. And he rightly received a yellow card for the incident.

As for the stamping. He definitely meant it, but I find it funny the outrage that ensues when incidents like this happen. It seems people only call for extended match bans when the player connects when they strike out. If you go down that route well then you'll need to start handing out extra bans just for intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

enviro wrote: »
    Funny old game it is, Scholes gets red for his two fouls and Adebayor stays on the pitch for his. Hardly consistency.

Scholes was sent off for 2 yellow which was correct even if he tried to pull out of the 2nd challenge, it was too late. The ref didn't see Ade incident so couldn't do anything about it. I don't see the inconsistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3 for the stamp and a sizeable fine for the celebration would be fine, but I won't complain if he receives more than that.

Also there is no U in adebayor.

• Advertisement

was the ban more blatant than Adebayours?

imo he knew exactly what he was doing, not planned pre match (could never prove that) but he took the opportunity to hurt Van Persie when it arrived.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Scholes was sent off for 2 yellow which was correct even if he tried to pull out of the 2nd challenge, it was too late. The ref didn't see Ade incident so couldn't do anything about it. I don't see the inconsistency.

The ref was looking right at it! Look at the videos on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Well imo it should be at least a three match ban for stamping on a guy's head - you'd get longer in rugby where some raking is allowed. Then you have the challenge on Fabregas which was really poor as well and the FA are looking at it. Finally the incitement charge. I'd be really surprised of he gets less than 6 matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

of course he ment that stamp

look at the velocity of his leg on the way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I think the stamp was an accident as after he makes contact he puts his hand to his face but it would never had happened if Van Persie tackle wasn't reckless, so Van Persie got what he deseved for making a reckless challenge. If further action is taken on him it should be for his celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

an ex ref was explaining it on one of SSN the other night, i can't recall the exact wording but he can be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think there should be debate about whether Adebayor ment to stamp on Van Persie.

Maybe he didn't mean to rake his face as he did, but he certainly ment to kick/hit/stamp on him in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Watmore said: “I was pretty unimpressed really because the problem between Arsenal fans and Adebayor is well documented. He ran the whole length of the field to celebrate so we will have a good, close look at that one on Monday when we have seen it again. Our governance team will look at both of the incidents that have been highlighted and they will come to the media with their answers early next week.

“I will ask my team to look very carefully at what he did and then we will bring it forward to the disciplinary process. The punishments, if we get that far, are the decision of the individual commissions, so let’s just look at the facts in the cold light of day on Monday morning and take it from there.

“The issue with the fans is that he ran the whole length of the field. I thought the stewards did a great job in calming the situation down. It was to Manchester City’s credit that nothing else happened.”

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

tomred1 wrote: »
    I think the stamp was an accident as after he makes contact he puts his hand to his face but it would never had happened if Van Persie tackle wasn't reckless, so Van Persie got what he deseved for making a reckless challenge. If further action is taken on him it should be for his celebration.

You're right Van Persie deserved to nearly catch a stud in the eye, have his face raked & his hand stamped on for that reckless challenge. :rolleyes:

It was a cowardly act on an ex-team mate and deserves at least a 4 game ban.
    Scum like him cannot be allowed to get away with such blatant acts of senseless aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Ah come on now Mr Alan,it's obvious what he was doing, he had to go out of his way to make sure he caught him.

4/5 match ban for both incidents imo and I'd love to see the club punish him too,don't know how likely that is though.

Advertisement