Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail fine, validator broken

Options
  • 08-10-2015 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this?

I use the train everyday to commute to and from work,I went to my local train station today and tagged on,the machine read the card but said please wait and continued to ping,the doors did not open and I went to the ticket window and no one was there,the machine to the left if the one I used was open and I went through thinking this was a known issue and didn't tag that one as I didn't want to be charged twice.

I arrived at my other station and an inspector checked my card and said I hadn't tagged on and I explained what happened and he refused to belive me,he gave me a fine and took my card as evidence and told me to appeal.

I argued that my monthly rail fare is on that card and I need it to get home,he said there's nothing he can do and if I appeal and my story checks out I can grt the card back at the end of the day.

I have no faith in this as I don't know any company that has a turn around time of a day,im in a real bind here and it's over something that's not my faukt,i use the train every day,always top up my card nearly every week or monthly.

Has anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is this the first time it has ever happened?
    If they checked the journeys on the ticket would they see similar one way journeys from the destination back to home?
    There was someone on another thread regarding problem with tag machines in Kilbarrack, see here.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057504830

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If one barrier is frozen after presenting your card try another one.

If it says "Just validated" it means you have already tagged on, so then just walk through the gates. It won't charge you twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Is this the first time it has ever happened?
    If they checked the journeys on the ticket would they see similar one way journeys from the destination back to home?
    There was someone on another thread regarding problem with tag machines in Kilbarrack, see here.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057504830

no they will see consistent two way journeys, bar the times i head out after work or meet someone and get a lift home, what i want to know is can an inspector legally confiscate my leap card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

devnull wrote: »
    If one barrier is frozen after presenting your card try another one.

If it says "Just validated" it means you have already tagged on, so then just walk through the gates. It won't charge you twice.

im not aware of this as iv never had this issue before, it just said please wait and i did,it didnt do anything just stayed like that,no one there for assistance so i walked through the other door that was open:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

no they will see consistent two way journeys, bar the times i head out after work or meet someone and get a lift home, what i want to know is can an inspector legally confiscate my leap card?

Yes they can but it appears they can only do this where they have been used by a person not entitled to use it so say if you used a friends card which had their photo on it....
    10.4 Any attempted use of a personalised Leap Card by a person not entitled to use that card may result in the confiscation of the Leap Card and may result in the Leap Card customer being charged the appropriate standard fare in respect of the improper use (as determined by the relevant Transport Operator) and you may not be entitled to receive a refund of any Travel Credit. If your Leap Card is confiscated please refer to the relevant Transport Operator.

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=CG%2FCj953WkPB%2B7fwjkLFshsyP7wecX6fiV0VBn3Q632F20yhboVXGTVmv%2B2bImvcFvyDWv8wk%2Bd4E5kAGPCvjpJvBUgOhvVEg%2FB6ZgVyLiI6nLqx13jMpsQIKgDUASmGM793kdSI9FJOtf2oYKBBrP3uRbgVAG0ZGo31awr2Vmg%3D&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

im not aware of this as iv never had this issue before, it just said please wait and i did,it didnt do anything just stayed like that,no one there for assistance so i walked through the other door that was open:confused:

Well you know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this?

I use the train everyday to commute to and from work,I went to my local train station today and tagged on,the machine read the card but said please wait and continued to ping,the doors did not open and I went to the ticket window and no one was there,the machine to the left if the one I used was open and I went through thinking this was a known issue and didn't tag that one as I didn't want to be charged twice.

I arrived at my other station and an inspector checked my card and said I hadn't tagged on and I explained what happened and he refused to belive me,he gave me a fine and took my card as evidence and told me to appeal.

I argued that my monthly rail fare is on that card and I need it to get home,he said there's nothing he can do and if I appeal and my story checks out I can grt the card back at the end of the day.

I have no faith in this as I don't know any company that has a turn around time of a day,im in a real bind here and it's over something that's not my faukt,i use the train every day,always top up my card nearly every week or monthly.

Has anyone any advice?[/QUOTE

Is it a normal leap card or a taxsaver one ,( if so which one ?) If its the normal green one then they cant take it as anyone can use it . You can give it to anyone to use as long as they tag on and off with it. If its a personal leap card then only you can use it but your picture would have been on it.

Is this the same one you appealed and lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Is this the same one you appealed and lost?

I though that "was" OP's mother ;)

Thats a different one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Thats a different one.

So let me get this straight; he has been hit with a penalty fare before and it's happened to his mum as well?

Different poster.

Advertisement