Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Fines - What Monitoring Is There ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

If that what they were actually saying they'd be a long time dead. They are saying they will continue to do what the normally do which is I assume stop at some light and ignore others when safe

Well what the poster said was:

"I don't plan adhering to the rules" - which leads me to conclude that he doesn't have any intention of stopping at red lights if he doesn't feel like it. Glad he clarified in his next post though that he picks and chooses when he feels like cycling within the rules of the road or not. Top stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When I think it's unsafe to others and myself I'll stop

I hope for your sake you don't come across someone driving a truck with the same attitude.

The consequences of two people ignoring the rules of the road because it doesn't look unsafe could be very unpleasant for all involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Graham wrote: »
    I hope for your sake you don't come across someone driving a truck with the same attitude.

The consequences of two people ignoring the rules of the road because it doesn't look unsafe could be very unpleasant for all involved.

Thanks. 12 years daily in Dublin and London and not even a scrape. I'll take my chances and the Garda won't be able to implement this nonsense properly anyway.

Thanks. 12 years daily in Dublin and London and not even a scrape. I'll take my chances and the Garda won't be able to implement this nonsense properly anyway.

Lucky you, far be it from me to stop anyone that wishes to self-nominate for a Darwin award on their daily commute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Do you cycle in Dublin? It's not dangerous at all. People get hurt during any activity sometimes and most don't.

People get hurt during any activity sometimes and most don't.

There's no debating with logic like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Anyone else noticed lately an increase in some cyclists observing red traffic lights in Dublin City?

Anyone else noticed lately an increase in some cyclists observing red traffic lights in Dublin City?

If by 'observing them' you mean look at them as they pedal frantically past them, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I've noticed no discernable overall improvement in cyclist behaviour in the past week or so. Every day I still see plenty of jackasses cycling on the path around Amiens St., Talbot St. and Henry St., going through red lights and going the wrong way on a one-way street/cycling on the wrong side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

As a cyclist I find it infuriating to see these asshats picking and choosing (or just completely ingnoring) the rules of the road as it gives people the impression that we're all d***heads on a bike. The same clowns that were belting through the lights, cycling on the paths, cycling against traffic, etc. are still going to do it until they get stopped. I doubt the FCPN's are going to make all that much of a difference but I do hope there's some enforcement. I saw a Garda standing on the southside of the canal bridge at Harold's cross this morning, hopefully it was part of a trafffic enforcement activity (all traffic, not just cyclists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    As a cyclist I find it infuriating to see these asshats picking and choosing (or just completely ingnoring) the rules of the road as it gives people the impression that we're all d***heads on a bike.

How do you feel about the gardaí picking and choosing (or just completely ingnoring) the rules of the road?
    They have publicly stated they will not enforce mandatory cycle lane law by punishing drivers who park in cycle lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

If the gardaí are not going to police the rules of the road then we are all goosed.

How do you feel about the gardaí picking and choosing (or just completely ingnoring) the rules of the road?
    They have publicly stated they will not enforce mandatory cycle lane law by punishing drivers who park in cycle lanes.

It's just as bad if not worse, they're giving no incentive for people to obey the rules of the road if they don't plan on enforcing them, they make a mockery of the system. It's a joke. If they don't plan on taking things seriously how can the expect the general population to?

I don't dispute your statement but it would be nice to see a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Noticed zero change to the cyclists in Dublin city in the past week. Same carry on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, zero difference overall since the start of the month. Behaviour has been getting steadily better for the last few years, but haven't seen any kind of sea change in the last week.

That doesn't say they aren't going to police it, it says vehicles making deliveries or broken down vehicles will be given some latitude.

Personally I think cars otherwise just parked on cycle paths should be fined/lifted, in the same way I think cyclists breaking red-lights should be fined.

That doesn't say they aren't going to police it, it says vehicles making deliveries or broken down vehicles will be given some latitude.

Personally I think cars otherwise just parked on cycle paths should be fined/lifted, in the same way I think cyclists breaking red-lights should be fined.

"Should" being the operative word. There's plenty of things that should be done but I won't be holding my breath for any of them to actually come in to effect. Some people will get away with things because there's no one there at the time to enforce the law and others will get away with things because the enforcers just don't give a sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The problem is that some "deliveries" take ages, like as long as a coffee break, but once they leave the hazards on and/or are a goods vehicle it seems the AGS are happy enough to ignore them.

• Advertisement

Supt John Ferris said that many of the cases raised involve delivery vehicles and there was an ‘economic requirement’ to this use of cycle lanes

Councillor gets a garda impression of the law

I'm sure these 2 squad cars absolutely needed to park here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That section of the "Cycle Lane" in the park has had the surface removed for about 3yrs (maybe more) at this point. As such its an unfinished road surface.

Let them park in it. All its good for shaking everything on the bike loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

?? Cyclists always say they don't have to use cycle lanes and are safer on the road..

Next thing Garda cars parked on cycle lanes is suddenly a big thing.

Its like a kid having a toy that they have not played with in yonks, but want it back once another kid picks it up to play with.

Motorists talking about cycle lanes is like listening to someone insist the world is flat.

Cant blame motorists for being utterly clueless about cycle lanes. As whomever ever created most them hadn't a notion about them either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

dubscottie wrote: »
    ?? Cyclists always say they don't have to use cycle lanes and are safer on the road..

Its like a kid having a toy that they have not played with in yonks, but want it back once another kid picks it up to play with.

And how would you explain the contradiction of motorists wanting people to cycle in cycle lanes but motorists parking in cycle lanes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭shodge

monument wrote: »
    And how would you explain the contradiction of motorists wanting people to cycle in cycle lanes but motorists parking in cycle lanes?

The grass is always greener on the other side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭shodge

The grass is always greener on the other side, some will never be happy no matter what.

Outside of the 'latitude' previously mentioned, the rules should be changed (or enforced) such that cyclists must use a cycle lane where one is available and motorists parked across a cycle lane should be fined/lifted.

I'd be all for passing responsibility for clearing cycle lanes to 'parking enforcement'.

Its was changed from that to what it is now. About two years ago.

You should look up why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Why is it that you never seem to come across motorists calling for bus and taxi drivers to be prosecuted for not staying in bus lanes?

• Advertisement

Why is it that you never seem to come across motorists calling for bus and taxi drivers to be prosecuted for not staying in bus lanes?

That would get my vote too.

There's nothing like as many buses/taxis jumping red lights, tearing down footpaths though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Surprising as it might sound I have to make a series of right hand turns on my commute, so being in the correct lane for this means I won't be able to obey your compulsory cycle path law, even in the nirvana of them being well maintained. Good road craft and safe cycling often means I start preparing to move into the correct lane 400+metres before the turn.

Surprising as it might sound I have to make a series of right hand turns on my commute, so being in the correct lane for this means I won't be able to obey your compulsory cycle path law, even in the nirvana of them being well maintained. Good road craft and safe cycling often means I start preparing to move into the correct lane 400+metres before the turn.

That sounds quite sensible where there is nothing else to facilitate bicycles turning right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dubscottie wrote: »

Those are on road cycle lanes, aren't they? It's some of the grade separated ones that are the main bone of contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Those are on road cycle lanes, aren't they? It's some of the grade separated ones that are the main bone of contention.

Road way cycle lanes are where cars push all the dirt, broken glass, rubbish etc from the roadway, so unless they are regularly cleaned even if empty they not always suitable to cycle in

I've noticed no discernable overall improvement in cyclist behaviour in the past week or so. Every day I still see plenty of jackasses cycling on the path around Amiens St., Talbot St. and Henry St., going through red lights and going the wrong way on a one-way street/cycling on the wrong side of the road.

How many people have been killed or injured because of this would you say ?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/three-people-lose-their-lives-following-road-carnage-two-people-seriously-injured-31439185.html

Where do you think Garda resources should be directed ?

cdebru wrote: »
    How many people have been killed or injured because of this would you say ?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/three-people-lose-their-lives-following-road-carnage-two-people-seriously-injured-31439185.html

Where do you think Garda resources should be directed ?

Are you suggesting Garda resources should only be directed at offences where people are killed?

Are you suggesting Garda resources should only be directed at offences where people are killed?

Where resources are limited they should be directed where they can have most effect on people's lives and saving lives, it is a simple but obvious point that although you find the behaviour annoying afawk no one was killed or seriously injured, where as multiple people were killed in traffic collisions just over this weekend.

Where resources are limited they should be directed where they can have most effect on people's lives and saving lives, it is a simple but obvious point that although you find the behaviour annoying afawk no one was killed or seriously injured, where as multiple people were killed in traffic collisions just over this weekend.

I'm sure anyone that's stolen a car or is driving without insurance would agree with you.

• Advertisement

I'm sure anyone that's stolen a car or is driving without insurance would agree with you.

What exactly is your point? If indeed there is one.

I'm glad to see you are keeping everything in perspective,are you really comparing a cyclist taking a short down a one way street with driving a stolen car ?

,are you really comparing a cyclist taking a short down a one way street with driving a stolen car ?

No, you were polarising Garda activity into preventing road deaths or not.

Worth noting in the Phoenix Park that the roads are under the authority of the OPW. So the full extent of the road traffic acts do not apply, only those sections dealing with the conduct of vehicles in a public place.
    So parking in the cycle lanes in the park is in fact perfectly legal unless an OPW warden says otherwise.

No, you were polarising Garda activity into preventing road deaths or not.

No but even still, drivers of stolen cars are probably over represented in serious traffic incidents compared to their percentage among road users.
    Gardai have lots of work to do but with regards to road safety then, stopping a cyclist taking a short cut shouldn't be top priority, if the cyclist is seriously endangering other people it shouldn't be ignored but other than that its not the most important thing just because it pees you off.

stopping a cyclist taking a short cut shouldn't be top priority

Where was it suggested it should be top priority?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

At the end of the day it is down to everyone, be they cyclists, drivers or pedestrians to behave more responsibly and obey the law.

As a nation we are spectacularly bad at that when it comes down to road traffic legislation.

There needs to be a significant culture change across all of the road users in this country, and people picking one over the other are really looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

lxflyer wrote: »
    At the end of the day it is down to everyone, be they cyclists, drivers or pedestrians to behave more responsibly and obey the law.

As a nation we are spectacularly bad at that when it comes down to road traffic legislation.

There needs to be a significant culture change across all of the road users in this country, and people picking one over the other are really looking at it with rose tinted glasses.
    We have a really bizarre view of road safety in this country. We continually mock our own driving and complain about the state of the roads. We go abroad to Germany, the UK and the Netherlands and regale our mates with stories about how much better-mannered and better drivers they all are than Irish drivers.

When in reality we're right up there at the top with those guys in terms of road safety.

So either we can't be as "spectacularly bad" at this as we think we are. Or we all compensate for it.

Either way I think the fact that so many Irish people get worked up about the minutiae and enforcement of the road traffic laws is a good thing. It shows that we at least think and care about it. In plenty of other countries (like Italy), road traffic legislation is seem as advisory and you will literally get blasted out of it and shouted at for daring to obey it, if it holds someone else up.

..if the cyclist is seriously endangering other people it shouldn't be ignored but other than that its not the most important thing just because it pees you off.

Cyclists are over presented in the media so people lap it up without actually looking at the stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

seamus wrote: »
    We have a really bizarre view of road safety in this country. We continually mock our own driving and complain about the state of the roads. We go abroad to Germany, the UK and the Netherlands and regale our mates with stories about how much better-mannered and better drivers they all are than Irish drivers.

When in reality we're right up there at the top with those guys in terms of road safety.

So either we can't be as "spectacularly bad" at this as we think we are. Or we all compensate for it.

All "developed" countries show trends for falls in road deaths over time. Some societies achieve this by making the roads safer for all e.g. the Netherlands etc Some achieve this by trying to put as many people as possible into cars. UK & Ireland etc. Then former involves road safety, the latter involves re-engineering the mix of road users. The latter "approach" imposes additional health burdens.
    Either way I think the fact that so many Irish people get worked up about the minutiae and enforcement of the road traffic laws is a good thing. It shows that we at least think and care about it. In plenty of other countries (like Italy), road traffic legislation is seem as advisory and you will literally get blasted out of it and shouted at for daring to obey it, if it holds someone else up.

As I recently pointed out in another thread - when penalty points came in there was a "sea change" in Irish driver behaviour. Then after a month or two it became clear that the "Irish Police Service" were nowhere to be seen. Apparently, eating doughnuts etc had a higher priority than public safety - if you'll excuse the sarcasm.

So everyone went back to business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

No but even still, drivers of stolen cars are probably over represented in serious traffic incidents compared to their percentage among road users.
    Gardai have lots of work to do but with regards to road safety then, stopping a cyclist taking a short cut shouldn't be top priority, if the cyclist is seriously endangering other people it shouldn't be ignored but other than that its not the most important thing just because it pees you off.

I think the point being missed here is that cyclists running red lights, travelling the wrong way on one way streets or on the wrong side of the road are putting themselves in danger not just pedestrians.

There are many cyclist injuries each year. How many are caused by ignoring the rules of the road?

• Advertisement
Advertisement