Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of trying to start a team North Dublin

Options
  • 16-04-2015 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Fat(ish) unfit(ish) 45 years old (ish)

Love the game but don't understand the rules 100%.

Was thinking of trying to start a team for like minded individuals in North Dublin.

What does it take apart from determination to do it? Would be reasonably confident of finding someone who knows enough about it to be able to coach. Could probably also be able to eventually work out some sort of sponsorship so the kit doesn't cost too much for everyone.

Am I mad?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I know there is lots of teams in dublin - Rebels, Rhinos, Panthers, Trinity, UCD are already established - DIT have started the process and will be in the league next year! do you think that there would be a need for another team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Those teams are well established & hard to get into, that was the reason I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

OU812 wrote: »
    Those teams are well established & hard to get into, that was the reason I was thinking of.

Dit are new and although they are flag at the moment I think they are planning to get full contact next year they would likely start from the bottom division so it's worth calling and asking them at least. Starting another team in Dublin could be tough as football is such a minor sport and requires high participation numbers more than any other sport I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd just love if there was a contact women's/ mixed team! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

If you look at the rhinos - they have just started a B team in the IAFL-2 - i know these clubs are well established but players get injured in this sport more than most - we had our first game last week and have 3-4 players injured.... the bigger the squad the better! So it would only be a matter of time before you would get on the field

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

You will probably find it hard to get another Dublin team going. Trust me been there done that worn the t-shirt.

With the others teams though and take it from me as a coach you get picked on the effort you put in. Keys to getting picked and getting game time:

- Showing up to practice
    - Giving 100%
    - Be a team player
    - Work hard and find a position that suits your abilities (coaches will help)
    - Learn the playbooks inside out.

In the IAFL if you are dedicated and a hard worker and prove yourself in every chance you get you will break into any squad.

Advertisement