Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 AF Forum mock draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

With the 31st pick in the draft the New Orleans Saints select

university_of_miami_1261373833631.jpg

Denzel-Perryman.jpg

Denzel Perryman - ILB - University of Miami.

This is a tough spot to be in for the Saints. They need help at OG, TE & WR but none of the 3 best remaning options (Tomlinson, Funchess, Strong) offer any real value at this point. Instead (much to the chagrin of Drew Brees) they add the best ILB in the draft and the long term replacement for Curtis Lofton. They acquired Danelle Ellerbe in the trade for Kenny Stills but by all accounts he was terrible last year.

Strengths:
    Instinctive
    Extremely physical
    Fabulous run-defender
    Takes on blocks extremely well
    Adept at shedding blocks
    Excellent tackler
    Quick, covers a lot of ground
    Enough quickness to defend perimeter runs
    Play recognition
    Intelligence
    Hard hitter
    Takes on blocks
    Can shed blocks
    Gets depth in his pass drops
    Aggressive attitude
    Blitzing ability
    Explosive
    Good open-field tackling
    Made some plays in pass coverage
    Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
    Lacks elite speed
    Lacks length
    Short
    Could be limited in pass coverage

Next up Raf32 and the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

With the 32nd pick of the 2015 Boards NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select

byron-jones-ncaa-football-connecticut-tulane.jpg

Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut

While I think the Patriots need some help replacing Vince Wilfork as well as upgrading the interior offensive line and particularly the guard spot, their secondary is the area of greatest need. The loss of the #1 CB in the league in Darrelle Revis coupled with the loss of their #2 CB Brandon Browner has left the CB depth chart alarmingly weak. Jones has very good size, range and athleticism and dominated at the Combine running a 4.36 . He seems to have all the raw skills needed to be an elite shutdown corner, comes with no character concerns and has a high upside. He is scheme versatile and can play CB and S, an aggressive run defender and has excellent ball skills. He has to work on his man coverage skills but is known as a hard worker and I can see BB coaching him to become a top 5 CB in the league.

Next up is TaosHum and the Tennessee Titans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

6_1034638.jpg

Outside of Taylor Lewan the Titans have little in the way of quality at OT, making RT a pressing need going into the draft. With DJ Humphries still on the board and being terrific value, Humphries will come in right away and solidify the Titans' issues at RT.

With impressive athleticism and quick feet, Humphries is strongest in pass protection and should provide 2nd year QB Zach Mettenberger with the time he will undoubtedly need in order to develop as a passer.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

With the 34th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Cedrick Ogbuehi, Offensive Lineman, Texas A&M.

Will jazz this up later.

The Oakland Raiders and The Bogman are now on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

oakland-raiders-new-stadium-665x385.jpg
    With the 35th pick in the 2015 Boards NFL Mock Draft the Oakland Raiders select........
    Arik Armstead, DL, Oregon
    arik-armstead-2.jpg

Maybe not the pick most would expect, or that Raider fans would like! Looking at the roster a number of holes are evident.
    RB: A new RB is definitely needed. However I think with the depth of this class someone like David Cobb/MIke Davis should be available in Round 3/4
    WR: The glaring need at WR has been filled with Amari Cooper. Saying this, playmakers are always in demand and can help out a young QB like Carr. Would have loved to give them DGB here. Looks like Crabtree could be in the Silver and Black by draft time so that would rule that out
    TE: Mychal Rivera was a decent if not outstanding option at TE last year. I fancy Reggie to spend a pick here later on in the draft
    G: The Raiders actually hadn't a bad OL last year. I'd put the 31st ranked rushing attack down to the RB play. Still room for improvement though and G is a real possibility here. Tre Jackson and AJ Cann were given major consideration

On defence there are maybe not as many evident holes to fill.
    Safety: Looking like Sean Richardson is coming over from the Pack which would provide depth for Woodson and Nate Allen. Also there are no safeties worth picking here.
    CB: Along with G and DL this is one of the positions I can see the Raiders going with this pick. Quinten Rollins and Ronald Darby are in play, but I think they can afford to wait because of the depth available and the value still on the board at DL
    DL: The Raiders had just 22 sacks last season. They also gave up 120 rushing yards per game. A major improvement is needed in both areas. Combine this with Antonio Smith leaving and Justin Tuck surely nearing retirement and youth is needed on the DL. If a player like Owa Odighizuwa, UCLA was on the board he'd be the pick. I also thought of Preston Smith and Nate Orchard but to me, the value offered by Armstead is too tantalising to pass up

A gifted athlete, he can offer huge versatility and play in a number of fronts. He's a gret run stopping end but he has room for improvement with his pass rush. He can move all around the line and has a lightning first step. I think lined up next to Justin Ellis he would be a major improvement in the run game and with coaching can become a great pass rusher. Interestingly, I saw a report where a number of scouts expressed interest in him moving to OT. They felt that his athleticism would allow him become a top 10 player at the position.

Ok, the real reason for picking him.....how scary is a 6'8", 290 pounder going to look in the Silver and Black :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sorry at work so can't do a proper write up at the moment. Will try get back on later to polish it up.

Signing Odrick with the intention of playing him on the edge will hopefully sort out their pass rush need. I'm going to skip the LB here for the same reason. Their Defense isn't that bad to be honest and with the O-line pick in the first round being a guard I was tempted to take a tackle here but Humphries was taken at the top of the second so I'm going to let that one go. I think the glaring hole for the Jags at this point is at the running back position, Gerhart was woeful last season and I just don't like pierce as a feature back when he can be beaten out by Forsett and Taliafoeroroeaeoe :p ...

With Gurley and Gordan off the board already at this point with the 35th pick of the 2015 draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars pick...

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

(had my own write up but its on the laptop at home so I'm going to copy/paste from www.walterfootball.com

Ajayi looks like a second-day steal, but he could rise in the final lead up in the 2015 NFL Draft. Ajayi has a superb skill set with power, speed, phenomenal balance and versatility.

Ajayi was excellent for Boise State during the 2014 season. He averaged 5.4 yards per carry for 1,689 yards with 25 touchdowns. Through the air, the redshirt junior had 45 receptions for 536 yards and four touchdowns.

Ajayi has the speed to break off yards in chunks, while also being athletic and tough. He can pick up yards after contact, but his biggest flaw is ball security. Ajayi puts the ball on the ground too often. That plagued him in 2013 and could be seen again in 2014, although he improved his ability to avoid fumbles.

In the 2014 season opener, Ajayi played well against Ole Miss' land-shark defense and matched up well against the Rebels' fast stop unit. He ran for 86 yards on 20 carries while catching 12 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cody Prewitt. Realistically if I was the jets I'd look to trade down and pick him up in the bottom half of round 2 but I took him in our mock as he is who I would pick up late second/early third.

Make no mistake you aren't going to be picking up a superstar from the get go here at all but what you will pick up is a 6'2 safety that is dependable. His closing speed is better than you think, he lead the sec in interceptions last year so has an eye for the ball and if he gets going at in a straight line he will take you down often harder than you expect from a safety.

On the other hand his lateral movement isn't the best and he's an average athlete who doesn't play as big as he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

With the 38th pick of the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Dorial Green Beckham - WR - Oklahoma

53ea88c4980d4.image.jpg

Perhaps a surprising selection but Dorial Green Beckham is a ridiculously talented athlete. While the Redskins have a greater need at CB i don't really see the value there with this pick.

The massive off field concerns are obviously an issue for most teams but this is Dan Snyder. He's more than willing to take a risk and without those issues Beckham probably goes in the top 15 easy. He was probably one of the most dominant high school players in history.

With Green Beckham and Deshaun at WR, Griffin III is going to have no excuses for not moving the chains.

The other options for the skins is to go O-line with this pick and in that situation i think the pick would be Jake Fisher from Oregon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

With the 39th pick of the draft the Chicago Bears select

Eric Kendricks, OLB/ILB UCLA

The new GM has said that he wants to go BPA where possible in this draft, and with Kendricks still on the board for some mysterious reason, he would seem the obvious choice. While the Bears have already gone for an LB in the first round (and let Vic Beasley by in the process for some reason) the switch to a 3-4, and the lack of any really good LBs on the roster right now aside from McPhee, means that we need more. Also, the real difference makers at other positions of need for us, such as CB, S and WR, are not there.

Kendricks operated in a system that used lots of 3-4 and 4-3 looks, and was adaptable to various roles within the system, and that versatility is going to be very important in the upcoming Bears D. 149 tackles, 11.5 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, two broken up passes, 3 ints, and 1 forced fumble in 2014 are very impressive stats. He lacks the weight for a 3-4 ILB in the NFL but that can surely be remedied, and if so he will be able to move between OLB and ILB roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

With the 40th pick of the NFL Draft, the New York Giants select...
    New-York-Giants-Logo.gif

Offensive Lineman, Laken Tomlinson.

Giants appoint an emergency GM, who comes in scratches his head and utters, "Jesus, this is tough".

After those confidence boosting words, Giants get down to business, and decide to go with a mix of team need, and best player on the board.
    larger.jpg

Found it tough to decide between Tomlinson, Shaq Thompson and Quinten Rollins. Rollins perhaps was the closest I could think of to beating out Tomlinson, as Safety is an even bigger need than Guard for the Giants as of now. The new GM may find himself the old GM once the likes of Higgins scrutinise this pick :pac:

Ruled out Paul Dawson, who could be argued is better than the two I've discussed, due to character issues after the Giants being big on character and intelligence in their draft last year.

Ultimately, Tomlinson wins out by being an absolute mauler in the run game for Duke, something Giants are desperately missing. Coughlin is a fan of the power run, and with Williams and Jennings in the backfield, I feel he'd love this pick.

I definitely feel this is a guy who can step in right away at Guard and make a solid contribution to the Giants offensive line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

With the 41st pick the St Louis Rams select

281px-St_Louis_Rams_logo.svg.png

Cameron Erving, C, Florida State

Cameron-Erving.jpg

The Rams have needs everywhere. I was considering a corner here too but in the end plumped for the best center in the draft. Their current depth chart shows Tim Barnes an UDFA in 2011 who has seen most of his action thus far on special teams. Erving can come in and start day one and help mitigate the loss of Scott Wells and Jake Long on the O line. I didn't think the value was there at corner and because they play a 4-3 I couldn't find a spot for ILB McKinney.

Glued & the Falcons are on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

With the 42nd pick of the NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons select

299.gif

Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska.

53f17fee62bc0.preview-620.jpg

The Falcons need a new RB to at least complement Davonta Freeman.He's strong, quick and good at breaking tackles and gaining positive yards after contact. The Falcons are already known to have talked to Abdullah and this just seems like a good fit for the Falcons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With the 43rd pick in the mock draft the Cleveland Browns select.....
    2015_Browns_helmet.png
    Shaq Thompson, Inside Linebacker, Washington

nfl-draft-stock-watch-shaq-thompson-09302014.jpg

The Browns selected Shane Ray OLB at 12 and Devonte Parker WR at 19. Karlos Dansby is now 33 and also in this position group are Tank Carter 26 who is pretty average and Christian Kirkby who was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Browns put signifcant resources in outside linebackers but this is the run heavy AFC North and we need middle linebackers too

Kendricks and Perryman are already taken and 3rd best in the position group is fair for Thompson

6' 0", 228lbs and only 20 Thompson is a player that may need to add some size however smaller linebackers is the way the league is going and 4.64 40 time shows speed to help cover tight ends and play zone

A very versatile player he has played running back, linebacker and safety in college. I see him as a linebacker and will be coached up for this

SameOlJay and the Saints are on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With the 44th pick of the Boards NFL Draft The New Orleans Saints select...

wallpaper_article_fleur_de_lis.jpg

Breshad Perriman- Wide Receiver- Central Florida

os-ucf-breshad-perriman-nfl-draft

With Bud Dupree and Denzel Perryman already selected on day one, the focus in New Orleans turned to offence where the franchise has already had a very busy off-season. The team's two most dynamic pass catchers have departed in Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills. With Drew Brees on the home stretch and the talent at the wide receiver position in this class, the 3rd pick of the Saints left a simple decision.

Perriman's measurables match up with many of the league's premier wide-outs. 6'2, and 212 lbs Perriman also clocked a 4.24 40 at his pro-day. Explosive off the block, a true home-run threat and a willing blocker, Perriman is a truly dynamic threat. Concerns, which have no doubt led him to dropping this far, are sloppy routes and dodgy hands. There isn't a franchise in the league more capable to harness Perriman's talent though and I'm ecstatic with the value of him at 44.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.24 and 4.27 seconds
    Vertical: 36 1/2 inches
    Broad jump: 10 feet, 7 inches
    Bench press: 18 reps of 225 pounds

On the clock is Langdon Alger and the Minnesota Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

With the 45th pick of the 2015 AF Boards Mock Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select...

Z1587.jpg

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

635596812193767983-AP-Iowa-Purdue-Football-INMC.jpg

San Francisco 49ers are on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

With the 46th Pick of the 2015 Boards.ie American Football Forum Mock Draft,

The San Francisco 49ers Select

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdWUuxgtQHcFIpthIpNRbbZdRAqcTiTmTtzxh9sb-FK-tZNSLtYg

Jaelan Strong, Wide Reciever, Arizona State
    jaelen-strong.jpg

Strong ticks all the boxes for the 49ers and is a nice pickup in the 2nd round, in what looks like a very strong draft for WR's. He's 6'2 217 lbs and ran a 4.44 40. However he plays slow and this is the reason he is still available in the 2nd round. He's athletic and posted a 42 inch vertical in the combine to underline his athleticism. Originally a Basketballer, he is still raw as a Football player, but has 17 TD's, 157 Receptions and 2,287 yards in 2 years at Arizona State. Strong is not only a Red Zone target with his size and vertical leap, but has played a lot for the Sun Devils in the Slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

With the 47th overall pick in the AF Boards Mock Draft the Miami Dolphins select

OG-A.J. Cann- South Carolina

with the Dolphins going with CB in the first I felt there biggest needs coming into the second were WR, ILB and OG. the Fins have spent the last year rebuilding the o-line, theyve got the tackles position sewn up with James and Albert(seems to be rehabbing well from his ACL tear) and Pouncey at centre. But They can't possibly be 100 percent confident in Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner. The latter has played barely any guard in the NFL, whereas the former has played just enough guard to cause serious trepidation about his ability to play there on a consistent basis.

Cann uses his wide frame and brute strength and power to seal off inside run lanes and hold his own in pass protection. He generates power through his hips and midsection, and he's a strong finisher and flashes tenacity to bury his man. He's also a model of consistency at South Carolina over his career, Cann started all but one game at left guard the last four seasons.
    A knock on Cann at this pick would be he isn't a natural athlete and would be a better fit for a power-blocking scheme as opposed to the fins zone-blocking scheme, but there are very few prospects in this draft who have the athleticism it takes too play that scheme.
    Cann isn't a flawless prospect, but he doesn't have any glaring flaws that should keep him from starting early in his career

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

With the 48th overall pick in the AF Boards Mock Draft the San Diego Chargers select

7P9UFm

OG-Tre Jackson-Florida State University

dzSVSH

This pick was a bit more difficult than I had hoped it would be. With RB already sorted with the 1st round pick, I had my eye on a number of interior Offensive Linemen and Nose Tackles. With a lot of the players I was targeting already off the board at this stage, I considered looking at other positions, but in the end I decide to stick with what I feel is a pressing need and draft Tre Jackson, Offensive Guard from FSU.

Rivers ended up playing hurt on a number of occasions last season and it is important that San Diego make sure that he gets more protection from the interior of the offensive line next year. By combining Jackson with Orlando Franklin who was acquired by the Chargers this offseason, the Chargers can improve their protection of Rivers, whilst also opening holes in the run game for their new prized running back.

The Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

With the 48th overall pick in the AF Boards Mock Draft the Kansas City Chiefs select :

WR : PHILLIP DORSETT : Miami

2552424.jpg

A bit of research shows the Chiefs didn't get a TD from a WR last year :eek:, so..........they need one ! It is no secret Andy Reid loves receivers who can stretch the field and gain separation. With Alex Smith at the helm, getting a few yards of clearance from a defensive back is even more pivotal. This is where Dorsett shines. The University of Miami (FL) product caught 36 passes for 871 yards, giving him an outrageous 24.2 yards per reception. Additionally, Dorsett took it to the house 10 times in 2014.

He could be a reach, but I think he's the best that's available.

/innish_Rebel >> 2. Bills >> on da clock

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

With the 50th Pick of the 2015 NFL Draft – sponsored by Boards.ie:
    nfl-logo.jpg
    The Buffalo Bills
    bt-10-p210-2.jpg
    Select ??????

This was a tough one – to choose. From my initial notes I had the following needs:
    • QB
    • Guard
    • RB
    • TE
    • DE
    • WR

Free agency they go throw the kitchen sink and get in:
    • Matt Cassel
    • Richie Incognito
    • LeSean McCoy
    • Charles Clay
    • Percy Harvin

So addressing much of their requirements.

With that in mind The Buffalo Bills select:

Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson

cffa55172ad812a173e788b8add36cdc_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75
    Lost Kiki Alonso in the mega trade for McCoy – a huge loss so I think they have to take a punt at LB here; My Bears took Kendricks who I would love to have had the option on but was surprised to see him drop as far as the Bears. Anthony made a great partnership with Beasley in Clemson, needs to step up for the Pro’s.

A 3-down LB – vital in today’s style of offence. Here is a guy who runs a 4.56 (nearly Dez Bryant’s time of 4.52) at 245 pounds with a 37″ vertical leap and an absurd 1.57 split on the 10-yard. He is a fantastic athlete with 4 years at Clemson where he was incredibly productive.
    Strengths:
    Has desired build for position. Good play speed and is generally under control. Steady, consistent tackler when he's squared up. Has speed to chase to the sidelines and finish the play. Able to cover tight ends in passing game. Breaks to ball quickly against pass. Flashes ball skills and will play through pass-catchers.
    Weaknesses:
    Needs to shed blocks better. A bit slow to identify the play action hence can get a little out of position

Paully D & Texans are on the clock – PM to be sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the 50th pick in the 2015 Boards Mock Draft, the Houston Texans select:

Bernardrick McKinney - ILB - Mississippi State

5d9e3727c7c5789ffe4c03019d9c8db2-img1.jpg

Researching the Texans once I had been given them in the 2nd round, I figured that they had some key needs in this draft, specifically - QB, ILB, WR and they could do with getting better at CB. Heffo got us sorted at the CB position with the (IMO) very nice pick of Marcus Peters and there's no QB worth considering at this spot, so that left me deciding between an ILB and a WR.

I decided to go with McKinney for a few reasons. Firstly, he's the highest ranked player in what I feel is a position of need for the Texans on my board at this point which is ideal and ticks a lot of boxes. Secondly, I feel the Texans are more desperate for ILB help than WR help and thirdly, I feel there's far greater WR depth available in the subsequent rounds in comparison to ILB's.

The Texans best option at ILB at the moment is Brian Cushing, which is more of a problem than anything IMO. He's not the player he once was - for example, PFF ranked him 45th among 60 qualifying ILB's in run defense for the 2014 season (per Tania Ganguli), he also missed 12 tackles which ranked just outside the top 10 in his position (per Rotoworld/PFF) and has already had THREE surgeries this offseason. He's also overpaid now and per Over The Cap, the Texans can start to save money by cutting him before the June deadline in 2016. If he doesn't drastically improve, it's extremely likely that they will. Add to this their next best options at the position are Akeem Dent (who has only once started more than 7 games in a season), Mike Mohamed and Justin Tuggle, and you can see how McKinney could help.

McKinney comes into the draft after registering a total of 244 tackles, 20 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks in his collegiate career. He's a big, long guy who can cover a lot of distance in a hurry. He is a very physical player who is best against the run and is similar to a heat-seeking missile when he sees the ball in front of him. He has superb speed and has shown on tape that he's more than adept at chasing down a ballcarrier from behind too (one sack on Mr. Manziel springs to mind!). He's also versatile and can play OLB which may be a trait that intrigues further.

McKinney is coming off a relatively weak and at best indifferent combine performance which has hurt his stock. There's also certainly question marks over how his coverage skills will translate to the NFL (he has enough to get by IMO) and he can also be a step too late on occasions which will get you beat in the pros, but I see enough from him to think there's value in the middle of the 2nd round. I can see him becoming a very solid, if unspectacular ILB who has a lengthy career in the NFL.

The Philadelphia Eagles are on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

With the 52nd Pick of the 2015 Boards Mock Draft

Philadelphia-Eagles-Logo.gif
    The Philadelphia Eagles Select

Eric Rowe - CB/S - Utah
    jpeg

Ok so in the first round I took Safety Landon Collins. Again considering that pick may be null and void if Chip trades up for Mariota this pick will make even more sense. But I feel the eagles secondary is horrific and i think the 2 first round picks would be best spend on Collins & Rowe

I know there is a case for picking a pass rusher or an O-lineman - especially for the left side if they decide to release or trade mathis(apparently bills looking at him). But i think the thoughts of getting a top 5 corner in the draft at 52 is too good to miss out on!

Rowe is a Chip sort of player - impressive, tall athelete. The fact that he was a Safety and moved to Corner will be huge appeal to the Eagles as they have issues at both positions and he will help massively. Although he only played 2014 at corner his combine and pro day were impressive and he has the ability and speed to make big plays for eagles this season - and they badly need to improve that secondary

The Cincinatti Bengals are on the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With the 53rd pick in the NFL Mock Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select.....

Cincinnati_Bengals_black_wordmark_1997-2003.png

Jake Fischer, Offensive Tackle, Oregon, 6' 6" 300lbs

0ap1000000243630.jpg

The three main tackles on the roster are Andrew Whitworth 33, Eric Winston 31 and Andre Smith 28. It's time to inject some youth.

The Bengals need extra help to get them somewhere in the playoffs so how about a future franchise left tackle who is a superb run blocker. Yes, a superior run game will help the Bengals greatly

Fischer is a versatile player and has played right guard, right tackle and left tackle. As left tackle he protected Marcus Mariota's blind side and anchored a line that left the PAC 12 in rushing (273.5 yards per game average)

He is a little light compared to the league average for tackles but that can always be rectified and I'm hoping his superior agility will help in pass protection and also the run game. OC Hue Jackson selects a run heavy offense and taking responsibility off Andy Dalton can only mean good things

Whitworth was a good servant but is surely close to retirement and I see Fischer seeing some snaps this year in Hue Jackson's run heavy schemes and then taking over as left tackle in 2016.

nollaig and the Detroit Lions are on the clock.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nolllaig

With the 54th pick the Detroit Lions select DT Michael Bennett THE Ohio State
    Detroit proved last year they really are a BPA team in the draft taking the so far underperforming Eric Ebron 10th.
    I saw Bennett play a few times last season and everytime he showed up.He will definitely help the Lions vs. the run now Suh is a Dolphin. Just dont expect him to get you many sacks.
    I also gave PJ Williams a long look here but the Tmz reports scared me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

With the 55th pick in the 2015 boards.ie NFL Mock Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select:

Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia Tech

eliharold.0.0.PNG

I really wanted to draft a QB here but at this point in the draft I saw no value at that position. I like Bryce Petty but not at this point. The Canadian kid from South Alabama is interesting, but he's even rawer than Logan Thomas. I don't think I've ever seen footwork as bad as Bridge's but he's got a quick release and a tremendous arm but I'm not sure his football IQ can handle just yet. On another slightly more relevant side note I really like the Gurley pick, if Ellington can stay someway healthy those two could really supplement each other at RB.

So to my Pick Eli Harold - I'm actually really surprised he's still here at this point as I've seen him as one of the top 30 players in this draft on some draft expert projections.

Despite the Virginia football program averaging under four wins per season and being generally pants the past three years, the Cavaliers' defense has several intriguing prospects, most notably Harold, who decided to declare early for the 2015 NFL Draft. After serving as a freshman backup, he started every game the last two seasons, combining for 36.5 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks over his career.
    Harold, who lined up as a defensive end and linebacker in Virginia's multiple 3-4 scheme, is a good-sized athlete with movement skills and if there was one word to accurately describe his game, it would be "active." He doesn't always have a plan and needs to better marry together his athleticism, power and technique, but defensive coordinators simply need to give him direction and then wind him up and let him loose. His combine 40 yard time was decent and his 1.56s 10 yard split really shows off his burst from the line. The guy is slightly ~slight but has time to put on mass and improve his run stopping abilities. I really believe at this point in the second round Harold can and will be a steal.

Bottom line from NFL.com

BOTTOM LINE Explosive, leggy outside linebacker who has surprising strength at the point of attack, and the hands and length to become an outstanding edge-setter. Harold's burst upfield to threaten the edge is pro caliber and his ability to bend the corner at a 45-degree angle creates potential for him to become a quality pass rusher from either outside linebacker spot in a 3-4.

PM to next franchise GM on it's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

With the 56th pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:

Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State

101814-fbc-asu-stanford-damarious-randall.vnocropresize.940.529.medium.23.jpg

Again another pick on defence for the Steelers, losing Ike Taylor & Troy Polamalu they seek to replace both through the draft with the next best safety on the board.

PM sent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With the 57th pick of the NFL Draft

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR00CcGazjQ6kFpK_SGRo__UIdXpt8-KUUPhpoW-oDiY972itOWt99fSG8

The Carolina Panthers Select

Nelson-Agholor.jpg

NELSON AGHOLOR WR USC

Resoning:

The Panthers need to help out Cam Newton, that started last year with the selection of Kelvin Benjamin and continued with the first round pick of an OT in this draft. The defense is already well stocked and at TE Greg Olsen has been productive and will be servicible for a few years.

The Panthers go WR here and Agholor is one of the best remaining. I was hoping some other guys would drop but Agholor is a good pick up at this point, he's only 6 ft tall but will work mainly in the slot. He's quick, running a 4.42 40 at the combine, and has good hands. On of his strengths mentioned in the NFL scouting report is his ability to get open for a scrambling QB. Ok, sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

With the 58th pick the Baltimore Ravens pick;

Pj Williams - cornerback - Florida state

I think this was a fairly obvious selection. To me this pick fits both need and value (a key part of the Ravens draft philosophy). I think come the real draft the Ravens may be tempted to go corner then WR as there is a real drop off once the top corners as gone whereas the wide receivers are a deep talented bunch.

However as this draft fell the way it did I was delighted to pick up Williams (not surely he ll really get this far unless the DUI hurts him more than I'd expect).

Williams is fast and talented. He has the ability to grow into a number 1 shut down corner.

I had a look at Williams teammate Darby too for this pick, but ultimately I feel he ll only ever be a number 2 corner.

(If a mod could throw in a picture somewhere there I'd appreciate it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

With he 59th pick the Denver Broncos select...

Clive Walford, TE, Miami.

clive1.jpg

Basically after a DT and pass rusher, Tight End is the biggest need for the Broncos. There isn't much value at the former with so many gone off the board already in the first two round and the Broncos already got some help for Von Miller in the first. Had a feeling I'd be drafting a TE in this position and the standout after Maxx Williams was Walford.

If Broncos were looking for a direct replacement in terms of catching for Julius Thomas then Devin Funchess may enter the equation but with the Broncos looking to use a zone blocking scheme next year - Walford fits the position perfectly with his ability to beat defenders with his hands and his size. He's a solid pass catcher and averaged 15.4 yards per reception last season for Miami and had a standout game against Florida State when he had 127 yards and a TD despite having an awful start that game when being stripped of the ball on his first reception.

Will send PM to next pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

With the 60th pick of the draft the Cowboys select....

Quentin Rollins, defensive back from Miami. Write up and images to come, just didn't want to hold you up any longer.

Advertisement