Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning House Water System

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice please.

Have recently moved into a house and the water comes from a private well. Any water which comes from the tank in attic has an orange / red tint to it.

The water from the well is high in Iron. There is a new filtration system in place and the water in the main tap in kitchen is nice and clear and tastes fine. My problem is the water from the tank. On inspection I see that the toilet cisterns / shower hoses etc are coated in a red gunge.

I am happy that the water going into the tank is clean now but there is a big build up of this gunk in the system. What is my best way to clear it out ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

the red "gunge" is iron deposit coating everything from before the filtiration system was fitted.
    there is no easy way to get rid of it.
    you could wash down the sides of your attic tank and then suck out the gunge with a wet vac, be careful that thick gunge doesnt get into the outlet pipes.
    as for cleaning the pipes you could pump water through them, but this wont completely clean them. over time it will improve, but if the tank empties you will have dirty water for a while afterwards again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

TPM wrote: »
    the red "gunge" is iron deposit coating everything from before the filtiration system was fitted.
    there is no easy way to get rid of it.
    you could wash down the sides of your attic tank and then suck out the gunge with a wet vac, be careful that thick gunge doesnt get into the outlet pipes.
    as for cleaning the pipes you could pump water through them, but this wont completely clean them. over time it will improve, but if the tank empties you will have dirty water for a while afterwards again
    As above.
    Clean the tank. Run the taps. 90% will go quickly. Time will clear the rest as in= clear water, but existing left over iron sludge deposits at low points in pipework and copper cylinder will unfortunately lead to eventual corrosion.
    But it's 99% better than untreated system.

Advertisement