Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbed from the mains?

• 17-02-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with a leaking dishwasher at the moment. Wondering if it's due to high pressure. I haven't checked it out myself but was told second hand by a sibling.
    My main issue is the way in which the house is plumbed. It was done in the late sixties and I don't think a plumber did the work. The mains feeds the kitchen sink (which the dishwasher runs off), the bathroom sink, bath, toilet and shower. It also feeds the tank in the attic. The only thing the tank feeds is the central heating tank and the hot water cylinder. I assume this is the wrong was to have it set up? The house is on a group water scheme and the pressure is really strong. That's the reason I think it may have done something in the dishwasher. It's also impossible to have a decent shower as a minute change in the mixer has massive changes to the temp. It's not a very balanced mix of hot and cold feeds.
    Any thoughts on a remedy to the overall situation? How many separate feeds should be coming off the tank to supply the bathroom sink, shower toilet. Should there be some type of pressure reducer fitted to the mains supply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭0e1

"The only thing the tank feeds is the central heating tank and the hot water cylinder "
    It should feed the Hot water cylinder but what central heating tank do you mean ? Pictures always help .
    As for the mains feeding the rest of these appliances is normal.
    He may have fitted the mains to the shower mixer when the hot pipe is under less pressure (head of water from attic cistern).
    The dishwasher shouldn't be affected by standard mains pressure . It's more likely a door seal or blockage in drainage hose etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Effects wrote: »
    Having an issue with a leaking dishwasher at the moment. Wondering if it's due to high pressure. I haven't checked it out myself but was told second hand by a sibling.
    My main issue is the way in which the house is plumbed. It was done in the late sixties and I don't think a plumber did the work. The mains feeds the kitchen sink (which the dishwasher runs off), the bathroom sink, bath, toilet and shower. It also feeds the tank in the attic. The only thing the tank feeds is the central heating tank and the hot water cylinder. I assume this is the wrong was to have it set up? The house is on a group water scheme and the pressure is really strong. That's the reason I think it may have done something in the dishwasher. It's also impossible to have a decent shower as a minute change in the mixer has massive changes to the temp. It's not a very balanced mix of hot and cold feeds.
    Any thoughts on a remedy to the overall situation? How many separate feeds should be coming off the tank to supply the bathroom sink, shower toilet. Should there be some type of pressure reducer fitted to the mains supply?
    The only items fed off mains should be kitchen sink , dishwasher and storage tank in attic, everything else should be fed off the storage tank in the attic.
    It's not uncommon for houses of your age to have the cold water services to Fed from mains and the only thing fed from the tank being the hot water cylinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's it. I'm used to the mains feeding just the kitchen tap and main tank in the attic.
    When I said the central heating tank I meant the tank that feeds the central heating. It's an open system, not sealed.
    Wasn't expecting anything wrong with the dishwasher as it's just been serviced a few weeks ago and only used a few times since. I'll check it out though.

Advertisement