Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italia '90

Options
  • 06-06-2015 10:18pm

Found this on YouTube.

There's two ad breaks at 5:42 and and 35:30. The thing that frightens me is that I remember all of the adverts in the first break and also the break bumper music; I was only 5 at the time! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wtf was that at the outset of the video? Good grief. Feel old now, i remember watching Italia 90, cried like a baby when we went out against Italy.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Karsini wrote: »
    Found this on YouTube.

There's two ad breaks at 5:42 and and 35:30. The thing that frightens me is that I remember all of the adverts in the first break and also the break bumper music; I was only 5 at the time! :eek:

I remember this too though I had the excuse of being 16.Cha and Miah doing their painfull schtick at the start,I'm from Cork and I don't know anyone who ever found them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

wtf was that at the outset of the video? Good grief. Feel old now, i remember watching Italia 90, cried like a baby when we went out against Italy.

I was quite emotional too :(. I remember my Dad saying "Son, you've every right to be upset, enjoy it, you may never see it again in your lifetime" Being a kid I thought Ireland would always be competing so didn't get what he was saying at the time, I do now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I was 17 the day of the England match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Cha and Miah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

i remember watching Italia 90, cried like a baby when we went out against Italy.

You weren't the only one and I didn't really appreciate how unique it was until I got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Fantastic memories from those glorious weeks.
    Was a student nurse and just happened to be off for every single match we played.

Met with the team when they visited the hospital where I worked, on their return from Italy. There'll never be another sporting occasion like it for me.

Just hearing the intro to Olé Olé- Put 'em under pressure, sends shivers down my spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of our win against Romania.
    Packy Bonnar saved the day, what a memory.Then David O Leary's penalty.
    25 years-wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 browndoor

Will there be a commemorative concert to commemorate The Three Tenors Concert?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

did anyone collect the coins from Esso station?:cool:

http://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/italia-90-esso-complete-coin-collection/6944758

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Dave O'Leary's winning penalty v Romania will be my favourite Irish sporting memory ever I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Found this in the Roy of the Rovers Annual (1990) that I have, sorry about the quality, can try can get a decent scan if anyone wants a better look. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 South Tipperary Arts Centre

ah...the memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

My memories of Italia '90.

On that Saturday evening of the Ireland vs. Italy game I was in street cafe in Augsburg, Germany.
    The local Italians came out cheering that Italy had won. Some in their cars were giddy out.

On Sunday I got a plane from Frankfurt to Cork with transfer in Dublin. The plane parked on the tarmac
    next to us was that of the Irish football team. We could see clearly some of the Irish team.

Aside: On arrival in Cork, my suitcase was still in Dublin. Explanation: "Ground crew
    distracted by team." I forgave them. That suitcase was delivered next day.

John C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I found one of these in me Ma's attic about six months ago, tags still on it, won it for a drinking competition in the boozer we were watching the matches in

79df1c0.jpg

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

My brother had a Subutteo Italia 90. I remember my dad not really wanting my brother to open it because whatever game and pic that was used on the outer packaging was a significant match for Ireland, I think. I must ask him what match it was and where is the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

Bit off topic but this thread reminded me of mexico '86.
    I remember the little mexican character with the sombrero and giant mustache. I got one in a kinder egg iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone remember that aul' Italia '90 game on Mega Games I? It was a decent game, fun with two player anyway.

What's funny is how Ireland weren't in it, but China were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Did anyone else have the players heads and you stuck them on the window as decorations so outside you could basically just see floating heads?

I ended up using those heads in my make believe game of "school" where I was the teacher and the Irish team where my students.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bit off topic but this thread reminded me of mexico '86.
    I remember the little mexican character with the sombrero and giant mustache. I got one in a kinder egg iirc.

Piqué was his name :)
    He was a jalapeno under a sombrero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

kfallon wrote: »
    Piqué was his name :)
    He was a jalapeno under a sombrero!

KGrHqZHJBwFIMBrVtBBSK4PjyMg60_12_zps613c0f7f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't mean to put a dampener on this thread but.....

i could never understand italia 90....the whole country in hysteria over Jack charlton's ireland team and his god awful style of football...it was cringeworthy

they'd played 5 matches won none, scored only two goals and that match against Romania has to be the worst game of football ever in the history of the WC it was absolutely dire

I kept my feelings to myself at the time in fear of being lynched and was one of the silent people who agreed with Eamon Dunphy views

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

My aunt went to Italy shortly after the world cup on a holiday, and brought me back a souvenir of a juventus jersey.

Anyone care to guess who's name was on the back of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's all about context fryup.

Ireland of the perpetual inferiority complex. We're only a sh1tehole, a banana republic, a failed state, useless paddies.

The 1970s and 80s had been a dismal disaster for the country economically and 40 years as an actual nation was underlined by constant self-deprecation, Catholic guilt and a reminder not to get notions about ourselves.

It was a convergence of lots of things. Soccer was generaly quite popular at the time, some Irish players were getting real game time in the English first division, the Irish economy was on the up, Irish celebrities and business people were making real waves on the world stage.

And then we qualified for the world cup, for the first time. A relatively lean field of 24 teams out of 114. Just qualifying out of Europe when European football was in a ridiculously strong place, was an achievement in itself.

But then getting the last 16, the quarters. Little Ireland. Sh1tty, pathetic Ireland, qualifying as one of the final 8 teams in an international tournament. It was an ego boost for the entire country. Like entering a talent contest, and despite being told by your friends, family and yourself that you're not really any good, you made is as one of the finalists.
    It doesn't matter whether it was pretty or clever football. It was hard work and honest results, and that's all that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

GAAman wrote: »
    My aunt went to Italy shortly after the world cup on a holiday, and brought me back a souvenir of a juventus jersey.

Anyone care to guess who's name was on the back of it??
    Schilacci.

Advertisement