Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mailbag with Arthur Murphy.

Options
  • 14-07-2015 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember this?Arthur was quite the ticket.There was no end to the cranks writing in complaining.I remember one letter they read out about the "disgusting picture" that was on the cover of that weeks RTE Guide,it was one of the younger female cast members of either Dynasty or Dallas in a lowcut dress.Different times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

darkdubh wrote: »
    Anyone remember this?Arthur was quite the ticket.There was no end to the cranks writing in complaining.I remember one letter they read out about the "disgusting picture" that was on the cover of that weeks RTE Guide,it was one of the younger female cast members of either Dynasty or Dallas in a lowcut dress.Different times.

Hard to forget it. It was one of the worst things on RTE and the air of smugness and complacency about what a great job the station were doing was nauseating. I guess I didn't like it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hard to forget it. It was one of the worst things on RTE and the air of smugness and complacency about what a great job the station were doing was nauseating. I guess I didn't like it. :D

I remember most of the letters being whinges that programmes were not broadcast as scheduled or the continuity announcer had give away plot details. I don't think it particularly reverential towards RTE, to be honest.

Arthur did a good show. When it was axed they replaced it with a serious Viewers Feedback programme. It didn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

He does it on the Ray Darcy show on radio now (think on a Thursday). Slot is called The email bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Used to like watching it, just watched an episode on Youtube. A few people complaining about Gay Byrne's handshake!

Slight off topic, what was Talkabout? I see it in the related videos, it rings a bell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

He does it on the Ray Darcy show on radio now (think on a Thursday). Slot is called The email bag.

I haven't listened to Darcy since he moved. Is the mailbag slot on his new show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

darkdubh wrote: »

I used to love that programme!!
    "Dear Arthur....."
    I always found the readers funny,especially the voices they would put on when they were reading out complaints....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Ruu wrote: »
    Used to like watching it, just watched an episode on Youtube. A few people complaining about Gay Byrne's handshake!

Slight off topic, what was Talkabout? I see it in the related videos, it rings a bell..

A contestant was given a word or something and had to talk about it without saying the actual word. The others had to guess what the word was. Alan Hughes presented it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Heres the episode on YT that a few people have mentioned.Does anyone remember the original credits sequence when it first started (1983/84 ish I'm guessing)? .From what I recall it was an image of an open envelope with the credits scrolling into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I haven't listened to Darcy since he moved. Is the mailbag slot on his new show?

Yeah. It's only a ten minute or so slot and the time varies so unfortunately you have to endure the rest if Darcy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

Yeah. It's only a ten minute or so slot and the time varies so unfortunately you have to endure the rest if Darcy as well.

Suppose I'll have to try and get a podcast of it and maybe skip through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Skid X wrote: »
    I remember most of the letters being whinges that programmes were not broadcast as scheduled or the continuity announcer had give away plot details. I don't think it particularly reverential towards RTE, to be honest.

Arthur did a good show. When it was axed they replaced it with a serious Viewers Feedback programme. It didn't last very long.

It was quite self-depreciating, and any viewers' letters that were singled out for special attention and 'sent up' with faux shock and horror were of the whingebag variety that deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Del.Monte wrote: »

I remember this and its equivalent Points of View on BBC.

must agree wholeheartedly with delmonte - at least the BBC did something about the complaints.

Advertisement