Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shovel Knight (PC/3DS/WiiU/Switch)

Options
  • 26-06-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

From Kickstarter to rave reviews...

"Shovel Knight - in all its old-school glory - is arguably the best game released so far in 2014" - IGN

Out on 3DS and WiiU today in the States (other regions to follow)
    Out on PC today (on gog.com).

Do I grab it for the PC or wait for a Euro 3DS release? Decisions decisions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

"other regions to follow"
    I am really not a fan of how the eShop store seems to be completely independent based on region, with little coordination.
    Feel like MS, and "generally" Sony are much better about day and date releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just localisation.... I'd say it'll be out sooner rather than later. For the EU release, I assume they'll need to add Spanish, French, German etc. into the build before it can be released. Here is what Yacht Club Games say on their Kickstarter page:
    This week’s release on 3DS and Wii U is for North American regions only. This week’s release of the game on PC/Steam is international. Behind all of this launch excitement, we’re still hard at work preparing the game for more and more locations. At this point, ratings are complete and localization is in process. We’ll be sure to keep you all updated once we have more information!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Downloaded it on Steam this morning; not had a chance to take it for a spin though :(

Also yay for my first backed Kickstarter game to actually deliver a game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Mr E wrote: »
    Just localisation.... I'd say it'll be out sooner rather than later. For the EU release, I assume they'll need to add Spanish, French, German etc. into the build before it can be released. Here is what Yacht Club Games say on their Kickstarter page:
    And often on other platforms it'd be coordinated in advance and we wouldn't have it wait.

Anyway, the game looks fantastic, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

$15 / €11 ish on the publishers website. think i'll get this tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

sweetie wrote: »
    $15 / €11 ish on the publishers website. think i'll get this tonight...

Will it be €11 on the eShop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Played for a bit earlier tonight; all you could want from an 8 bit side scroller inc. a ton of hidden rooms to find!

Will it be €11 on the eShop?

$15 for 3ds and wii u so €15 I reckon

I caved in and got it on steam last night. Played the first level and loved it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Prepare to taste justice! Shovel Justice!
    Yep, this is ****ing ace. :D

• Advertisement

I watched the GiantBomb guys play through the first level. I thought it look really good. Waiting on the EU release date now.

Played it for an hour last night... it's seriously challenging (but fair). :p

I have a feeling it's going to take more than 8 hours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr E wrote: »
    Played it for an hour last night... it's seriously challenging (but fair). :p

I have a feeling it's going to take more than 8 hours for me.
    Well one mate cleared it in 6.6hrs according to Steam. He finished with 135 deaths, still has more secrets to find and is raring to get stuck into NG+. I think you'll be fine. :)

This just came out on Playstation platforms last week. Did anyone pick it up?

I've been chipping away at it for the last few days on VITA. I could download it to the PS3 or PS4 but I feel the VITA is the perfect home for it. The game looks nice and sharp on the OLED screen. I'm very glad I waited on this game as I didn't want to play it on the 3DS. The 3DS has some amazing games but that is in spite of and not because of the hardware.

Anyway, the game itself is really good. At this point it is easily the best game I've played this year. It is very tough at points but each time I die, I always see were I went wrong. I am worried that I might hit a brick wall with some tough bosses at the end. I hope not but we'll see.

I thought the addition of
    Kratos
    was a nice additions and a fun fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm very glad I waited on this game as I didn't want to play it on the 3DS. The 3DS has some amazing games but that is in spite of and not because of the hardware.

Why would it matter what hardware you play a pixel art game on?

I got stuck on the 3rd set of levels and haven't gone back. Must give it another crack.

Kirby wrote: »
    Why would it matter what hardware you play a pixel art game on?

Because the controls on the 3DS are inferior (in my opinion) to the VITA. Also it hurts my hands to play the 3DS for too long. It's just not very ergonomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've only put 30 mins into the game so far on Vita but I'm liking it.

I finished the game on the train home from work. I actually thought that the final boss was a little easier than some of those in the build up. Overall it took be 7 hours and 20 odd minutes to beat.

I will have to remember this game come the end of year awards on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Shovel Knight – Physical Version Coming to a Store Near You!!!

I haven't picked this up yet. I might get the boxed version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Oh my goodness...

Plague of Shadows is out now. It's unlocked by finishing the game, or you can use this cheat code.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

thankyou_onem.png

Shovel has sold 1 million copies digitally and 1.2 million in total. Check out the link for a tonne of information including breakdown between platforms.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20160414/270282/Feat_Unlocked_One_Million_Copies_of_Shovel_Knight_Sold.php

Delighted to see indies doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anyone played the Spectre Knight DLC yet (Switch ?)

It's meant to be amazing, people are saying it's possibly better than the original Shovel Knight and that the story is the best they've done so far. Also they've really tweaked the levels and movesets of the character compared to that of Plague Knight's DLC.
    I personally can't wait for it to come to PC.

The fact that it's free is also amazing... (I know it was promised via Kickstarter...but they could have given the DLC as free to just the backers instead of to everyone who bought the game)

Anyways, If you haven't even played Shovel Knight...go get it. Amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. I don't even really like 2d platformers...but this game was a GOTY contender for me when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

SeantheMan wrote:
    Anyone played the Spectre Knight DLC yet (Switch ?)

It's meant to be amazing, people are saying it's possibly better than the original Shovel Knight and that the story is the best they've done so far. Also they've really tweaked the levels and movesets of the character compared to that of Plague Knight's DLC.
    I personally can't wait for it to come to PC.

The fact that it's free is also amazing... (I know it was promised via Kickstarter...but they could have given the DLC as free to just the backers instead of to everyone who bought the game)

Anyways, If you haven't even played Shovel Knight...go get it. Amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. I don't even really like 2d platformers...but this game was a GOTY contender for me when it came out.

The Spectre Knight DLC is awesome. If you liked Shovel Knight then, in my opinion, this is a fantastic addition.

King Knight DLC and Battle Mode are both coming (for free) later this year too.

Any of these dlcs available on Wii u version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

sweetie wrote: »
    Any of these dlcs available on Wii u version?

yes. I got them

Spectre of Torment though I believe is Switch exclusive for a few weeks. Was out on switch launch

Advertisement