Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan new strategy ?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Lets face it japan has not had a strong foothold into this generation and has being overshadowed by the mass effects , fallouts,skyrims and call of duty. The western market has taken over and while japan still is creating great gems , things need to be shaken up for japan to be relevant again. it seems japan has a plan and correct me if this has being done before but i am seeing alot of upcoming games from japan being collab with other developers. To name a few we have had

capcom vs street fighter

kojima and platinum working on metal gear rising

project x with namco/capcom/sega

namco bandai co developing super smash bros

fire emblem x shin megami tensei (atlus/nintendo)

Comcept with Scej with soul sacrifice
    etc..

is this a new strategy coming from japan ?

personally i would love to see more of this happening, why have 1 great studio game when you can have 2 great studios on 1 awesome game :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

It seems to me that alot of Japanese companies tend to develop games with Japanese culture in mind, and what would sell well in Japan. Alot of the bigger companies like Capcom and such know the western market is big bucks and that's why you dont see them making any "Japanese Style" games much anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Japan has become the Bob Dylan of games, clearly the best but unfortunatley the Spice Girls/5 Direction have cornered the market in terms of sales and popularity.

Lately Japan/Dylans stuff has become abstract and aimed at a gamer audience, but all the while COD and 5 direction are aiming at the buying market.

You can clearly align how games have come on with how Music works, prolly a thing for another thread but what is easiest to consume wins.........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of the problems stem from japanese developers trying to develop games with a Western audience in mind. They should stick to what they know and do well.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Western developers are clearly superior. They develop games I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Games is games; who gives a damn where they're from, as long as they're good?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't care if these good games where in genres I actually liked but in general Japanese developed games are in genres I have little interest in with a few exceptions. Western developed games suit my tastes better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    I wouldn't care if these good games where in genres I actually liked but in general Japanese developed games are in genres I have little interest in with a few exceptions. Western developed games suit my tastes better.

Says the mod of the fighting game forum :P

As for the OP, well the 'crossover' game / collaboration is not really a new entity - indeed, fighting games have been doing it for years and years (Capcom, Marvel, SNK etc...) Yeah there's a lot of interesting ones out or on the horizon - Ace Attorney v Layton particularly - but I certainly wouldn't consider it a new phenomenon. Nintendo were working with Capcom on GBC and GBA Zelda titles over a decade ago, for example, incidentally emerging with some of the best games that series has to offer.

I don't play other fighting games outside of Street Fighter.

Advertisement