Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop taking the Michael!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

repsol wrote: »
    I always think Gamestop shops are a bit dingy and grubby.Not a pleasant retail experience.

Same here.

Not as bad as stepping foot in a cash converters though. Jesus Christ. Awful scum ridden places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Gamestop should die! Feel sorry for the staff in GS when it does prob close in the next year or two. But its really the dumb Mammys/Daddys no in the know of the INTERNET that pay full price for games for their kids in Gamestop.

I have bought games from a lot of places online, but always used HMV the most over the last 2 year buying full price at such a cheaper rate.

I did use Zavvi last year for RE:R WITH the free circle pad pro, got the game and that in a fancy box all for €30 including post, didnt get stung for VAT as some are saying here.

But whats the story with gamesnash.ie? I dont see DS3 on there, thats my next purchase and would rather buy Irish than Amazon/Zavvi etc.

Who do you guys use online to buy your new releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Sorry, double post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've bought from them when I just want to have the game on release day gauranteed. I'd prefer to buy Irish (or an Irish based business) but with prices like that they're just taking the pi**.
    Tried to buy rechargeable batteries in a local Tesco for €38 recently. Couldn't get served (it was early and staff had to catch up) and just walked out. Got the same batteries and a recharger for €20 online in the UK later that morning...sigh!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

As a PC gamer I've been using gamestops online store more and more.

PC games are very reasonably priced on there site, particularly if you pre-order. After the games are released they tend to go back up closer to the average price you see at digital distributors like Steam and Origin but are still cheaper. Granted PC games are cheaper to begin with than console games, but they easily beat there in store PC prices and have a better selection to boot. Their even sometimes competitive with online stores that sell keys only.

Some current examples.
    Tomb Raider €27.99
    Aliens Colonial Marines Limited Edition €24.97
    Bioshock Infinite €34.97 (with a few pre-order DLC's included)
    Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm €34.97
    Crysis 3:€39.97 (includes Crysis 1 and 2 of the 3 pre order DLC packs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Azza wrote: »
    As a PC gamer I've been using gamestops online store more and more.

PC games are very reasonably priced on there site, particularly if you pre-order. After the games are released they tend to go back up closer to the average price you see at digital distributors like Steam and Origin but are still cheaper. Granted PC games are cheaper to begin with than console games, but they easily beat there in store PC prices and have a better selection to boot. Their even sometimes competitive with online stores that sell keys only.

Some current examples.
    Tomb Raider €27.99
    Aliens Colonial Marines Limited Edition €24.97
    Bioshock Infinite €34.97 (with a few pre-order DLC's included)
    Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm €34.97
    Crysis 3:€39.97 (includes Crysis 1 and 2 of the 3 pre order DLC packs)

I have to say, I saw those prices on the site the other day, and whatever about the expense of games in store (~€45 for a pre owned in some cases is insane), the online prices for brand new games like above are really good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Man, I can't wait for bricks and mortar shops to die out. Charging excessive prices to cover their overheads for an entirely useless building I don't want to have to go to, pay wages for staff I've no interesting in talking to - lights, cleaning, furnishing, storage, packaging etc. Get into the dark, quiet room where we've already locked VHS and cartridges.

I want intellectual property to transfer from the creators of that content to my computer. That's it. We've got this fancy internet thing with fibre optic cables and wireless networks and stuff.

Zillah wrote: »
    Man, I can't wait for bricks and mortar shops to die out. Charging excessive prices to cover their overheads for an entirely useless building I don't want to have to go to, pay wages for staff I've no interesting in talking to - lights, cleaning, furnishing, storage, packaging etc. Get into the dark, quiet room where we've already locked VHS and cartridges.

I want intellectual property to transfer from the creators of that content to my computer. That's it. We've got this fancy internet thing with fibre optic cables and wireless networks and stuff.

The thing is though, that's already available, anyone who wants can just purchase stuff online and either have a physical box delivered, or have the game begin downloading within minutes, without needing to leave the house. Personally, I'd actually miss the old brick and mortar stores if they were to go completely, there's nothing like having a good browse :) *

*This statement does not necessarily apply to Gamestop or its subsidiaries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

shops will never close
    maybe gamestop because they solely rely on selling games
    but smyths , their profit is on selling toys , game is just a small section of it and even at that they still make a fortune
    i remember working their for christmas just over a year ago
    was their on the night modern warfare 3 was released
    they made 10grand in less then an hour :L i couldnt believe it haha
    on top of that they made over 100grand selling toys that morning
    thats one shop that wont be going soon, they normaly have good trade in values and sell games at somewhat decent prices

gamestop can go though
    and fu*k that staff as well , their all uptight and moody feckers who give you looks when you trade in games for cash, as if it was coming out of their pocket, their worse then the social welfare :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

delta36 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd actually miss the old brick and mortar stores if they were to go completely, there's nothing like having a good browse :)

Yeah, was always nice to browse through shelves and find a rare game for dirt cheap, clutch it to your chest and scuttle to the register murmurring "they wants it, the filthy Hobbitses"

Or in the case of Irelands phone infastructure, comprised of carrier pigeons and tins cans attached by string :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Or in the case of Irelands phone infastructure, comprised of carrier pigeons and tins cans attached by string :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of Steam downloading Arkham Asylum at 6MB/s. If this keeps up I might hit my 500GB monthly limit before February.

I'm sorry, what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of Steam downloading Arkham Asylum at 6MB/s. If this keeps up I might hit my 500GB monthly limit before February.

You're downloading at 6MB/s? :eek: Wow... UPC? Also, Arkham Asylum is an epic game, you're in for a treat.

Aye, UPC in Dublin makes you feel like you're in a real first world country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

As a pc gamer you get the odd great deal on their site

I got Dishonored for 25.97

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's an invitation to treat, completely legal.

Saying the price is €45 and then stating elesewhere it is actually €50, then that is false advertising, don't see how it could be anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Why do you want to ruin Christmas? :(
    So straight from the content creators via another middleman who takes a retailer-sized chunk from the profits? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I haven't bought a full price from GameStop in about 5 years. Can't see myself doing it any time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Saying the price is €45 and then stating elesewhere it is actually €50, then that is false advertising, don't see how it could be anything but.
    http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/invitation-to-treat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Aye, UPC in Dublin makes you feel like you're in a real first world country :D

Yeah until you hit the 500GB combined up/download limit and they charge you 80 quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

jock101 wrote: »
    Yeah until you hit the 500GB combined up/download limit and they charge you 80 quid!

when was that introduced? we went over it at my old place 3-4 times and nothing

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    So straight from the content creators via another middleman who takes a retailer-sized chunk from the profits? ;)

Ha! I don't mind a middle man, I just don't want to have to get out of my chair.
    jock101 wrote: »

Their website says they'll send you a warning letter first and only charge you if you repeatedly go over the limit. Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Everyone seems to overlook tesco! I've actually bought my last few games from them. In Carlow at least, they are a good 5-10 euro cheaper then everywhere else! Always worth checking them out before going to somewhere else to find a game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Mister Man wrote: »
    Everyone seems to overlook tesco! I've actually bought my last few games from them. In Carlow at least, they are a good 5-10 euro cheaper then everywhere else! Always worth checking them out before going to somewhere else to find a game

in my local tesco they dont sell games
    and its one of the bigger stores as well
    they only sell dvds not games

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Mister Man wrote: »

Yes you can get the odd bargain there. But it is hit or miss, and they seem to only lower the price for the first batch fo stock. Which is very limited!

But yes people should check them on release day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

You should switch to PC as it's cheaper in the long run while having better graphics.

There are loads of high quality free to play games like tribes, planetside, DOTA and LOL aswell.

Advertisement