Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Gift

Options
  • 22-01-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Got a steam gift which I havent accepted. Wondering can I just pass on the link to someone else or is it tied to my account? It isnt appearing in my library or anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Go to 'Community', then 'Profile'. On the right side of the screen you should see 'Inventory'. In here you will find a section called 'STEAM'. The gift should be here and you can choose to give it to someone else or activate it on your account.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Much like that daft corkscrew set given to you by your auntie, it can continue to be re-gifted until someone accepts it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great thanks lads. Its DOTA 2 by the way. Im interested in swapping for something else if anyones up for it. PM me!

edit - Actually this is an f2p game isnt it? So why is it going for €28 on Steam....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Steam are handing the DOTA 2 invites out like candy at this stage. I have 13 in my inventory.

Agricola wrote: »
    Great thanks lads. Its DOTA 2 by the way. Im interested in swapping for something else if anyones up for it. PM me!

edit - Actually this is an f2p game isnt it? So why is it going for €28 on Steam....

It's not F2P. What you have is a 'Spectator' client key, which was changed to a full client not too long ago. This is temporary.

At present, the game is still in Beta, so that is what you will be playing. However, as soon as it leaves Beta, and if you have not paid the 27.99 for it, your access will be removed. Much like the CS:GO Beta last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Falthyron wrote: »
    It's not F2P. What you have is a 'Spectator' client key, which was changed to a full client not too long ago. This is temporary.

At present, the game is still in Beta, so that is what you will be playing. However, as soon as it leaves Beta, and if you have not paid the 27.99 for it, your access will be removed. Much like the CS:GO Beta last year.

The game page says it is :confused:
    Dota 2 is a Free to Play game, that is not yet fully released. The game is constantly being updated with new heroes and new features.
    The Early Access Holiday Pack is your opportunity to get in the game now. Your purchase includes an Early Access Pass to Dota 2 in addition to the following in-game items!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I'm pretty sure it is free to play. The ability to pay for the game now gives you beta access (if you haven't managed to get one of the billion beta keys going around) plus some exclusive in game items

Hmm, maybe it means F2P in the more traditional sense that is; no subscription?

I don't understand why you would charge 27.99 for a game that will be no different to Planetside 2?

I assume it means you buy the game, but there are no subscription fees. Or am I going crazy? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im hugely confused!

I'll await more elders of the internet to come by and clear it up hopefully!

I hope it is worth 28 squid to someone cos I sure as hell don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Hmm, maybe it means F2P in the more traditional sense that is; no subscription?

I don't understand why you would charge 27.99 for a game that will be no different to Planetside 2?

I assume it means you buy the game, but there are no subscription fees. Or am I going crazy? :P

http://web.archive.org/web/20120603233312/http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq

I think it's like Team Fortress 2, the base game is free but you can buy items also.

EDIT: The FAQ link is valid, no need for archive.org after all.

http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

It is free to play, and you can pay for cosmetic items if you so wish. Like I said in my post above, there's a price being charged for it on Steam to give early beta access and also give you some in game items. Unless the OP got gifted that specifically, they have a standard beta key which are easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The reason Steam are selling it is because people were flogging their beta keys to the highest bidder. If you 'buy' the game through steam you get a heap of in-game items that apparently work out more expensive than the €28 (I haven't checked this so can't verify).

Advertisement