Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Island Riptide Collector's Edition [NSFW]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Single? :P

Couldn't help myself, sorry!

While the statute is indeed an abomination, it's post like the above which really sum up the whole mentality that goes with it.

'OMFG, A GIRL GAMER! FAP FAP FAP PLEASE LOVE ME, BE MY WIFE FAP FAP FAP'

Even if it's meant in jest (which I'm sure it was to a certain extent), it's still bloody embarrassing, every time I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Persona 4's Kanji was a superb gay character. Well, he wasn't actually gay. But I thought they handled his bi-curiosity/insecurity particularly well and implemented it into the game without making it feel forced. Yes, they played around with the camp, effeminate stereotype but not in a way that was actually damaging. He managed to be one of the game's most compelling characters. Pity he was ****e in battle.

On sexism in the games industry, this was an interesting read.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswomanfiles/2013/01/18/women-and-video-gamings-dirty-little-secrets/

Whether it's wholly representative of the truth or not I really don't know but it suggests that there's more to this problem than seems obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Alistair was totally gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well let me re-phrase my point, what would you have to change about most lead male characters to make them solely to please the female market?
    You're asking the wrong person. Or at least someone of the wrong gender

What I would say is that there's nothing inherently wrong with having a dashing male protagonist (so long as the testosterone isn't overdone of course), even if this gets boring after a while. The problem is both the relative paucity of strong female equivalents and the, related, tendency to infantilise or sexualise* female characters (typically in contrast to a male lead). In short: feel free to indulge in a muscle-bound male power fantasy but do so without belittling women

I suppose that the core distinction here is that I don't believe that characters should ever be designed "solely to please" any one market segment. When you create a character that only speaks to half the world's population (and in such a way that it excludes the other half) then you shouldn't be surprised when your hobby has a massive gender imbalance

*Obviously a female character can be strong and sexy but it's so, so easy to go too far

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Does it matter that not many women play games?
    Reekwind wrote: »
    I suppose that the core distinction here is that I don't believe that characters should ever be designed "solely to please" any one market segment. When you create a character that only speaks to half the world's population (and in such a way that it excludes the other half) then you shouldn't be surprised when your hobby has a massive gender imbalance

Who is surprised? And again, there's a gender imbalance, why does that matter? None of my female friends/my girlfriend have any interest in gaming and it's not because of things like this statue, they just don't see gaming as any sort of decent use of their time. They probably see it as a bit childish (which is wrong but whatever). They just have no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

...(Potential-Monke's 'are you single' comment really made me cringe, I have to say, in jest or not).
    o1s1n wrote: »
    While the statute is indeed an abomination, it's post like the above which really sum up the whole mentality that goes with it.

'OMFG, A GIRL GAMER! FAP FAP FAP PLEASE LOVE ME, BE MY WIFE FAP FAP FAP'

Even if it's meant in jest (which I'm sure it was to a certain extent), it's still bloody embarrassing, every time I see it.

It was meant in complete jest, but stems from something far more emotional than a pubescent urge for a female gamer. And, IRL, i'm the exact same, saying stupid things everything i shouldn't. I could be one of those rare things on the internet where what i do/say on the internet, i do/say in real life.

And i don't apologise. This is me. I would say the exact same to a female i'd meet in a bar who's a gamer. I also bring most conversations way down, beyond this "line" that everyone talks about. I've done 18 years of dating (including 2 x 7 year relationships) and i've learned that unless the next partner is a gamer, it's not going to last. My love for the scene, and their lack of interest just don't match.

And, i also got the response from her that i get in real life too. Silence. FML. :pac:

Anyway, back on topic: Has anyone got any links from any womens rights groups, or any rights groups, condemning this? Because the only people i see complaining about it are gamers.

Advertisement