Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Driver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I once paid 200 euro to get into Rome. Was not a real taxi driver.

I am very stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

asdasd wrote: »
    Sure I'd walk out. What you think you can do is take the item and run.

Fair enough, maybe thats a bad example.

But still believe that he was in the wrong here, it was obviously making us uncomfortable, we didn't relpy to him once. It was a relatively short trip and we actually got out of the taxi a good bit further away from where we normally would. This wasn't something I planned, I just decided no way I was giving that pr1ck money after that.

Anyway, we're taking this thread off topic. You think I'm wrong, I disagree.

We won't get anywhere else with this...
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just doing some background checking on Fiend-Foe, maybe your new apartment is haunted by a taximans ghost who knows what you did, hope you sleep happily while a taximans ghost comes after you with a screwdriver...ooer missus just realised its Haloween time soon as well...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392453

karmas a bitch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

Karoma wrote: »
    Dear Mr Taxi Driver,
    You didn't make minimum wage on one day? Why sir, this is clearly a travesty. Nowhere else in Ireland or the world would this happen. It is no less than an outrage!

I hereby offer you a contract to pay you minimum wage. That's right, you sir, are guaranteed the minimum wage each day, every day. In return, you will be expected to hand over all earnings (inc. weekend earnings, and the money you do not normally declare for tax reasons) to me. You will also be expected to read the new employee handbook and will be contractually obliged to be courteous, quiet, attentive and avoid vulgar language. you will be expected to maintain a high standard of hygiene. Any airing of racist views shall result in disciplinary action. You will also work the hours specified, not just the ones that suit you.

If this suits sir, please feel free to e-mail me at igiveacrap@boohoohoo.ie

Kindest Regards,
    K.

Call your bluff....deal ! mark17@vodafone.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    Fair enough, maybe thats a bad example.

But still believe that he was in the wrong here, it was obviously making us uncomfortable, we didn't relpy to him once. It was a relatively short trip and we actually got out of the taxi a good bit further away from where we normally would. This wasn't something I planned, I just decided no way I was giving that pr1ck money after that.

Anyway, we're taking this thread off topic. You think I'm wrong, I disagree.

We won't get anywhere else with this...

karmas a bitch :D

And you're still a thief

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

I disagree.

I'm my opinion the taxi driver was a scumbag and should not have subjected us to listening to that sh1te. It was obvious we did not agree with him as we did not acknowledge anything he said.

He was rude, offensive and vulgar. And made us both feel uncomfortable.

You expect me to pay for that?? Take a hike...

If he wanted to get paid he should have been professional, what other job could you do and get away with it? None. You would be sacked on the spot in any other profession for speaking to a customer like that.
    what age are ?
    sorry retract that
    what mental age are you ?
    what was it a night out with the boys on our fake ids ?
    you in what you did is in the same category as the mugger scum who prays on the drunk tourist .
    get it into your retard brain that you STOLE from that guy
    he provided a service [be it good or bad ]and you being the ah you are ran away like a little scared boy .oh you are a BIG MAN .
    you keep it up and the next guy who in your opinion didnt provide a good service ,so you decide to run .you mighten be so lucky
    because take it from me there are some lunatics driving taxis out there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I disagree.

I'm my opinion the taxi driver was a scumbag and should not have subjected us to listening to that sh1te. It was obvious we did not agree with him as we did not acknowledge anything he said.

If he wanted to get paid he should have been professional, what other job could you do and get away with it? None. You would be sacked on the spot in any other profession for speaking to a customer like that.

Should count yourself lucky that he did not have a bat with him and proceed to knock the ****e out of you. Uncle been a taxi driver for about 15 years and has used the thing at least a dozen times in them 15 years to beat the ****e out of ***** who tried to do a runner. But sure for everyone he caught probabley 2 or 3 would get away.

He didn't have to mind-read any opinions, he had to have enough common sense and professionalism to know that going on a racist rant is inappropriate at any time, unless your in the pub with your mates.

Now do tell, just what makes it acceptable in a pub with your mates, you seem to me to be a troubled man, not only a thief but a closet racist as well..

what age are ?
    sorry retract that
    what mental age are you ?
    what was it a night out with the boys on our fake ids ?
    you in what you did is in the same category as the mugger scum who prays on the drunk tourist .
    get it into your retard brain that you STOLE from that guy
    he provided a service [be it good or bad ]and you being the ah you are ran away like a little scared boy .oh you are a BIG MAN .
    you keep it up and the next guy who in your opinion didnt provide a good service ,so you decide to run .you mighten be so lucky
    because take it from me there are some lunatics driving taxis out there .

As I said, this was a few years ago and I have never had any problems since and would never do something like that under any different circumstances.

Maybe he wasn't so quick to launch into a racist rant with any of his next fares.

I didn't run away like a scared little boy, I walked away as I decided I would not be paying him for my unpleasant trip home. I didn't want a confrontation about it.

He should have been professional and respectful thats not a lot to ask.

(I'm 25 btw and this was about 3 years ago)

I have also never preyed on a tourist...
    Now do tell, just what makes it acceptable in a pub with your mates, you seem to me to be a troubled man, not only a thief but a closet racist as well..

Clearly meant him and his mates dip****...

As I said, this was a few years ago and I have never had any problems since and would never do something like that under any different circumstances.

(snipped)

Once a thief always a thief, maybe you should go to mass and repent your sins before it's too late to save your soul, and don't worry I get a lot of people like you in the car, they always start the conversations with " I'm not a racist but........."

Once a thief always a thief, maybe you should go to mass and repent your sins before it's too late to save your soul, and don't worry I get a lot of people like you in the car, they always start the conversations with " I'm not a racist but........."

:rolleyes:Yes cos I always start conversations that way...

See you in mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Maybe he wasn't so quick to launch into a racist rant with any of his next fares.

I didn't run away like a scared little boy, I walked away as I decided I would not be paying him for my unpleasant trip home. I didn't want a confrontation about it.

He should have been professional and respectful thats not a lot to ask.

(I'm 25 btw and this was about 3 years ago)

I have also never preyed on a tourist...

hope you remembered what he looked like ,car etc
    because it happened me a few years ago two scum done a runner and it must have been two years later that i picked up the same two .asked them did they want to go to the laneway .they nearly sh1t themselves .all apoligies dropped them off only halfway home [in the middle of no where]and got the two fares .
    remember dublin is a small place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,575 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

because it happened me a few years ago two scum done a runner and it must have been two years later that i picked up the same two .asked them did they want to go to the laneway .they nearly sh1t themselves .all apoligies dropped them off only halfway home [in the middle of no where]and got the two fares .

Jesus Travis Bickle, remind me not to jump your cab. :D

Thats a bit of a coincidence isn't it. Never happened to me though.

Where did you drop them off first time, where's this lane? What did they look like?

Are you a racist prick who subjects his customers to long winded rants about "dem foridners"??

You dropped them off in the middle of nowhere?? In Dublin?? How'd ya manage that one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Sure there's a lot of taxis, and sure there's some scumbag passengers. But I'll be fooked if I have to stand 2 hours for a smelly kip of a car like we used to have to do. Bollix, it's a free market. Don't like it, get another job. We're all stuck in this crap at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

redout wrote: »
    Should count yourself lucky that he did not have a bat with him and proceed to knock the ****e out of you. Uncle been a taxi driver for about 15 years and has used the thing at least a dozen times in them 15 years to beat the ****e out of ***** who tried to do a runner. But sure for everyone he caught probabley 2 or 3 would get away.

Sounds like your uncle Walter Mitty is full of shoit.

Mairt wrote: »
    Sounds like your uncle Walter Mitty is full of shoit.

What planet do you live on ? Go ask the older taxi drivers on here and I am sure alot of them carry some sort of a weapon in the car and have done so for many years. Why ? because they work in a bloody dangerous job.

What planet do you live on ? Go ask the older taxi drivers on here and I am sure alot of them carry some sort of a weapon in the car and have done so for many years. Why ? because they work in a bloody dangerous job.

From Post #37 in this very thread...

Three spoofs I hear from taxi driver's all the time..

1. How much money they're making.

2. The amount of chic's they shag.

3. The amount of lads they've had to beat up for their fare.

Its bullsh*t.

Tell Walt that Mairt over on boards.ie said he's full of shoit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spook_ie and lost marbles banned.

Are you a racist prick who subjects his customers to long winded rants about "dem foridners"??

You dropped them off in the middle of nowhere?? In Dublin?? How'd ya manage that one??
    Spook_ie and lost marbles banned.

But.. But, he never told me how?

• Advertisement

Who is walt ?

Who is walt ?

Walt is/was military slang now more widely used to describe someone who is all talk, or pretends to be something they are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

You were expected to pay for the service provided by driving you home, by not doing so you stole from this driver. If you objected to his racial slurs (which i don't blame you for, he was totally in the wrong) you should have told him this and asked him to stop and declined to tip.

you should not have just walked away from the taxi, in his mind you are the scumbag and he would be right to think so. If for any reason you felt you were in the right to refuse to pay you should have effectively communicated this to the driver not just run off down a lane..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

generalisations;
    All taxi drivers are scumbags, robbing barstewards, filthy, smelly
    Referring to the past when it was hard to get a taxi when 80% of the taxi drivers are part of the solution and never were part of the problem
    what a bunch of fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

High&Low wrote: »
    think it is about time that they are no longer permitted to use bus lanes
    Have to disagree with that, I'd rather not have to pay an extra money from being stuck in congested traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well I'll tell you what Mr. Thief why don't you go to your local Garda station and tell them and see if they agree with you, after all you DonJose and hopalong85 seem to think you didn't do any wrong.

Myself I would be worried about the pensioners you meet in quiet streets, after all they're nice soft targets as well and it is said to be much easier the 2nd and 3rd time around..

What do you think of the taxi driver he had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Right folks, enough of the bollixollogy. Here's the correct procedure in case you feel you have been supplied with a bad service from a hackney, taxi or limousine driver.

1. You pay the fare and take your receipt which should provide all necessary
    details.
    2. You contact the Taxi Regulator office or the Garda in case it's a purely
    criminal matter ( like for example sexual assaults, drink driving, dangerous
    driving. etc ) with the relevant details.
    3. You follow the complaints procedure as explained to you by either the Taxi
    Regulator or the Garda/courts.
    4. You accept the outcome of the investigation and eventual sanction or you
    decide to take further legal action, up to you.

Unlawfully detaining passengers or manhandling them to get money is a crime just like not paying the agreed fare ( what's on the meter is the agreed fare in case of a taxi ) or soiling charge is a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Far Corfe

I did not rob him,

I refused to pay for his services as they were unsatisfactory and he very was very offensive, used vulgar language and racial slurs throughout the whole maybe 10 minute journey.

But you did rob him :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

In Madrid the swines charge a €5.50 supplement to either go to or be taken from the airport ! better still if they know you dont speak the lingo they try and wack that up to €8 ! I think our fares are not to bad in comparison.

Meanwhile in Lanzarote you can get a taxi anywhere in the old/new town for 4 quid from when you were pick to where you are dropped off, typically a route of 3-5 miles. The notion that you have to pay 5 Euro to hail a taxi, before you even get into it, is just pure fu*kin nonsense and would only be tolerated in this backward sh*thole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

just home, had a good day, pleasent people, nice chats, not a good day finiancally but good for the soul.. Karma and all that. Anyone know a good western cowboy movie to watch ? Tomorrow is another day !! Nite M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm sure some of you have heard of "the knowledge", a incredibly detailed exams for London cabbies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowledge#The_Knowledge
    I've the utmost respect for those who pass that exam. Research has shown (too lazy to get a link) that an area of their brain expands from all the study they do.

Bring it in here I say.
    I don't get taxis often but it's usually my employer who pays after that usually after a 14 hour day

I don't want to direct my driver home. I certainly don't expect a driver to know every estate or every street but if you name an area like Ballyfermot in Dublin I ain't directing you. Someone mentioned "you show, I go"
    I've worked in hotels for years, would you expect your chef to get you to explain a recipe?

I've never had a taxi driver start talking nonsense to me. And definitly no racist talk. I just sit in the rear left of the taxi and don't talk. Tbh, to all the posters who get told racist statements by drivers, what are you doing to encourage them? :confused:
    I can talk to drivers but I get maybe 10 a month and conversations never even veer to that.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    I've never had a taxi driver start talking nonsense to me. And definitly no racist talk. I just sit in the rear left of the taxi and don't talk. Tbh, to all the posters who get told racist statements by drivers, what are you doing to encourage them? :confused:
    I can talk to drivers but I get maybe 10 a month and conversations never even veer to that.

Thats a good point, I use taxi's fair regularly and have never had one who has brought up anything racist.

I've never had the 'you show, I got' either. But I have had a few Africans (I tend to avoid them now) who hadn't a clue how to get to my area (Dublin 13) from the city center and hadn't enough English to understand me completely.

Overall its not a bad service.

I just want my driver to take me home safely, if he's a chatter so much the better. I love a good ol' banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've never had the 'you show, I got' either. But I have had a few Africans (I tend to avoid them now) who hadn't a clue how to get to my area (Dublin 13) from the city center and hadn't enough English to understand me completely.

Oh I've never had a driver say "you show, I go" to me. It's a figure a speech. But it's pretty obvious some drivers don't have a clue about the areas they are to cover.
    As I said no taxi driver is expected to know every minor street in the suburbs or every estate. But you are certainly expected to know a townland (is that the right word?) in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

micmclo wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you have heard of "the knowledge", a incredibly detailed exams for London cabbies
    [I've the utmost respect for those who pass that exam.

+1

Have to agree, you can certainly see the pride drivers have in London, one thing I notice when I'm in London is drivers waiting in ranks polishing their cabs. Have yet to get in a dirty taxi over there, large clean taxis, drivers will talk only if you strike up a conversation otherwise they leave you alone in peace, some cabs even have tv screens in the back, providing London info,comedy clips,BBC News 24. Also they always take the shortest route and because of the knowledge they certainly know how to beat the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Spookie, on another forum you stated that you once had a customer going to Donabate who was obnoxious during the journey. When you got to Donabate it became apparent that this person had given you a €20 note which he thought was a fiver. Due to your dislike of the man, formed during the journey, you decided to keep the €20.

By and large you seem to be a decent person but you made a judgement call that others might find questionable as has been the case with Friend Foe. In your case the taxi driver benefitted. In his the customer. Both out of order in my opinion.

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Regshoit.

In relation to the knowledge thing I'll throw you a few nuggets. I've done two PSV driving licence tests. One for Louth/Meath which was a bit of a bare bones rules of the road and taxi specific equipment and operation open question set up and the Dublin one.

I suppose the big problem with the Dublin test is the lack of variation in the questioning over the years so the suppliers of so called PSV courses have probably been able to get their hands on most of the questions so it's become a bit of a parrot job passing the test hence the fact that people with zero knowledge of Dublin geography are able to pass. Apart from the rules of the road and tariff question you can break down the geography bit in a couple of broad chapters.

The first one would be route selection and description, you are allowed to use names of streets, bridges and landmarks to supply the answer. You're not supposed to use motorways or toll roads unless they're an essential part of the shortest route/most cost effective way of getting to a destination
    ( the M1 going from the airport to town for example while the M50 from the airport to Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children is a big nono ). A couple of route questions I remember from my test are :

- Beaumont Hospital to the Garda Carriage Office
    - The National Basketball Arena to the Mater Hospital A&E
    - Heuston Station to the Waterways Museum
    - The Royal Dublin Hotel to Elm Green Golf Course

An acceptable answer for a question, let's use the case of The Royal Dublin to Elm Green Golfcourse, would be : O'Connell Street, Parnell Street, Smithfield, Manor Street, Prussia Street, Navan Road, Navan Road-Castleknock Bypass, Auburn Roundabout, Dunsink Lane.

The second one would be locations of hospitals. A street name or a description are accepted answers.

Let's say the Mater Private. If you answer Eccles Street you're on the money. For St Vincents Psychiatric Hospital you could answer the Fairview end of the Richmond Road. For JCM in Blanchardstown you could answer of the Navan Road beside Waterville.

The third one would be as I call it broad lines navigation. You're given an area and you're supposed to give three other areas bordering it. For example if the given area is Coolock you could say Clonshaugh, Beaumont and Donaghmede. You could just as well get Balbriggan or Ballybrack thrown at you and everything in between.

The fourth one is musea. Let's say Collins Barracks of Benburb Street or another acceptable answer would be near Heuston Station near the Aisling Hotel near the Civil Defence depot if the name of the street wouldn't come to mind straight away.

You get similar questions on Embassies and Government Depts.

Anyway folks, just to give you an idea how it works. The intention of the test and the level of knowledge asked for is fairly comprehensive. Unfortunatly I think the questions have become a bit compromised over the years. Oh yes, the most important one : an overall score of 70% and if I remember correctly not less than 50% of the "geography" stuff is a pass.

Anyway folks, my taxi driving days are over and I'm not one bit sorry. I had good times, bad times, great craic, hilarious situations, sad situations, a couple of scares and more than one near miss and a couple of times a when I seriously felt like defecating bricks. Believe me, there's a couple of lads floating around on boards who know me, I'm no small lad and I won't back down too easily but some people are downright scary feckers.

On a parting note, I only once used a considerable amount of force throwing out a passenger and it was a woman who had tried to brain her husband with the business end of a highheel shoe. She landed in a ditch and her other half in Beaumont and my car looked like the slaughter line in Keepak on a busy day. Stevie in the local copshop getting his story in before they could and the Gardai calling to the house getting my money.

No I've never accepted sexual favours, the one time they were offered I had to decline because they weren't of my sexual preference :D and I'm sort of old fashiondly loyal to herself. It ended with our buddies in the Gardai providing a night B&B for my slightly confused and disorientated passenger. In fairness to the guy when he had sobered up the next day he told the Guards to please pass on his sincere apologies and to hand me over the money he left in for the fare plus a healthy tip for putting up with him. Anyway, if you're reading this lad, no offence, apologies accepted and please next time don't use the funny tablets and drink a bit less. You're most likely an allright lad when you have your wits about you.

A question you often get asked is if you had any celebs in the car and which ones are the nicest : Derek Mooney is great craic, extremely sociable and more than just witty. Niall Quinn is one of the nicest people I've had in the car although he had a hard time contortioning himself into the front seat of a Skoda Octavia. And I have to say David Walliams is a gent and boy does he know his classics. Oh, and Glenda Gilson is deffo not a stuck up twat, on the contrary and compared to a lot of other models she actually looks better in real life than in pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murts

why dont some of you get off your arses and go drive taxis instead of waiting for them to bring ye home when ye are pissed out of yer heads . ye wouldnt be moaning about taxis then when ye see what the drivers have to put up with , constant abuse, pukers, moaners about the price of fares but yet ye wouldnt ****ing moan to the barman in templebar when the price of your round goes up every hour or ye wouldnt even question it but no when you come out and expect a taxi to bring you home you will moan and bitch to the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

murts wrote: »
    why dont some of you get off your arses and go drive taxis instead of waiting for them to bring ye home when ye are pissed out of yer heads . ye wouldnt be moaning about taxis then when ye see what the drivers have to put up with , constant abuse, pukers, moaners about the price of fares but yet ye wouldnt ****ing moan to the barman in templebar when the price of your round goes up every hour or ye wouldnt even question it but no when you come out and expect a taxi to bring you home you will moan and bitch to the driver.

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

It really pisses me off getting into a taxi with a foreign driver who then spends 10 minutes programming the route into a f***ing satnav while the meters running!! Or even worse expects me to direct him. Why should I have to pay for that? How the f*** did they get their PSV's?
    thats the only complaint I have about taxi drivers and I have to say 9 times out of 10 I enjoy the craic with them and find them very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364058&highlight=dicey+rileys

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392415&highlight=overpriced+drinks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396230&highlight=overpriced+drinks

Here a few of us 'moaning' about the drinks prices... The search button is very useful especially to first time posters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Spookie has asked that I point out that his customer, who believed he had given a €5 note when it was a €20, had said he was only paying what he felt like rather than the metered amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hearing moans about or by Taxi Drivers is nothing new. If drivers don't like it the job, why not get out. If you're not making enough or less welldo something about it. What does a painter do on a wet day?

I find it hard to believe that earnings are now so poor as to be below the minimum wage, and if so, so what?

But what makes me curious is how come under regulation, despite all cars having printers, there is no offical method of recording income! Why is that? It's unbelieveable when for example a store owner or even a chipper is required to keep till rolls, but somehow the taxi owners have no accountability, which seems crazy, given the predominant cash nature of the business?

I think many people would be surprised how little income tax is paid by taxi drivers, even back in the good days.

A key issue is that many taxi drivers seem to lack the mental stamina to compete or be willing to accept the importance of being competitive in an increasingly competitive marketplace. Low standards pre-date the Regulator.

When I hear the moans about numbers, costs and foreigners, I always remember the time Woody Allen's spoke of his support for more stringent legislation outlawing sexual discrimination in the work environment .....'especially for the self employed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I used to lump taxi drivers into the same "ignorant, racist" category before I worked as a base controller for a taxi firm. Now I've realised after getting to know the 30+ full/part time drivers that some were generous some were misers, some were honourable some were dodgy, basically you get the same mix of people that you get from any career type or social type. When you think about it, anyone who is saying that all taxi drivers are racist are basically acting the same way as the racist taxi drivers. It's just a different type of discrimination. And by the way my unbiased opinion from talking to all the drivers every night about takings etc is that they don't have it easy. None of them were raking it in and all of them got their fair share of crap from customers. So if you have the odd unpleasant journey with a taxi driver just remember that they have alot more unpleasant experiences with customers than you do with drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

but there not paying for that experience-we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jools Poker

hi there,

can anyone tell me the difference between an spsv licence and a psv licence

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

One is a license to practise medicine and the other is an international license to kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jools Poker

One is a license to practise medicine and the other is an international license to kill.

funny guy:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

why dont some of you get off your arses and go drive taxis instead of waiting for them to bring ye home when ye are pissed out of yer heads .

If we got off our arses and started driving taxis, then there'd be a load more retarded letters going into that shìt paper about how the industry is over supplied.
    ye wouldnt be moaning about taxis then when ye see what the drivers have to put up with , constant abuse, pukers, moaners about the price of fares

Dealing with the public, just like the gardai or shop assistants do, is hard work and there's a lot of bullshìt that goes with it. However, nobody is forcing people into a career as a taxi driver. If they don't like it, they can get into something else instead of bitching and whining to some shìtty newspaper. Life is about choices, people need to learn that.

Spsv stands for "small public service vehicle licence" as in it doesn't require a D or D1 driving licence to drive it. A large public service vehicle would be a CIE bus for example.

A PSV licence in general refers to the actual driving licence you need to obtain to legally drive a spsv. You get through passing :
    - Garda vetting
    - passing a test

These licences are location specific. You have to have one for the correct location to ply for public hire in a county. A couple of examples would be : Dublin, Carlow/Kildare, Louth/Meath, Cork,... . The area a driver is qualified to operate in is printed on the back of the laminated ID cards displayed in a taxi, hackney and limo. Mind you, restrictions as in plying for hire only apply to public hire ( taxi's ) at the side of the road or at transport terminals.

It's perfectly legal for a taxi driver with for example a Louth/Meath licence to pick someone up at a house in Swords and drop them on Dame Street in D2. He's braking the law if he picks someone up who flagged him on his way back. Obviously for limo's and hackney's who can only operate on a private hire basis this issue is a lot less relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

The reality is that taxis are a commodity where one taxi generally is as good as the next one, and in a free market this means any one taxi person is unlikely to earn much as a taxi driver.

Taxi driving is a low skilled job so expecting to be well paid for it is a bit optimistic. As more taxi drivers realise they wont make much money from doing that they will leave that industry and work somewhere else which will eventually mean on average most taxi drives will earn an ok salary, probably a bit above minimum wage.

Why taxi drivers feel like they "should" earn more than they currently are is beyond me. It is a low skilled job, in a free market, with lots of competitors offering exactly the same service. Because of this it is very hard to make good money.

The only thing you can do is to build up a clients list and offer exceptional service by having clean, new cars, dressing professionally, and maybe trying to do something different.

The taxi market has to come to some equilibrium yet, at the moment there are probably too many with the exception of peak times like saturday nights. Perhaps taxi driving is only a part time job for the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Taxi driving is a low skilled job so expecting to be well paid for it is a bit optimistic. As more taxi drivers realise they wont make much money from doing that they will leave that industry and work somewhere else which will eventually mean on average most taxi drives will earn an ok salary, probably a bit above minimum wage.

Why taxi drivers feel like they "should" earn more than they currently are is beyond me. It is a low skilled job, in a free market, with lots of competitors offering exactly the same service. Because of this it is very hard to make good money.

I think that most wokers dont really want a full free market for their skills, because skilled or not wages would tend towards the minimum wage, what with globalisation.

Luckily enough there is the State, and the protected non-tradable jobs ( like Barrister, Lawyer, Pharmacist (yes), teachers) and others to keep the proper middle classes happy.

Everybody else must get poorer, seemingly.

funny enough I dont see much love for fundamentalist free marketering these days, and given that the argument for un-fettered capitalism has gone from "It makes most people richer" to "A job is a commodity and falls to the lowest level - supported by the State ( i.e. mimimum wage"). Not a very impressive argument, I suspect that there is a leftward tide a coming.

By the way, I dont see the problem with regulating the market for numbers since we regulate it on price. The way we have now advantages no-one ( well with the exception of people at 2 AM who need a ride home, maybe).

By keeping the fares (artifically) high a lot of taxi drivers still go out in the hope of getting that lucrative fare. There they are at the rank. Now a taxi-driver at the rank is a wasted economic opportunity. They lose money. We dont gain any money ( i.e. cheap fares). So it is a zero sum game.

I am in favour of regulation, but lets have some, all ( control Taxi numbers) or none. None would mean that taxis at non-peak time would be cheap - and we would find them harder to get ( in the most efficient economic use of taxis there would be a no waiting by clients and none by Taxis, in reality the most perfect it would mean clients would have to wait as it is more economically destructive for cars to be on the road). Harder to get because the money is not so good at non-peak times and drivers dont bother so much. At peak times prices go way up - and more taxis take to the road. But just enough to cover demand, and your night out costs a lot more.

In this scenario it is pretty much a part-time job, but money can be made at weekends.

Advertisement