Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Driver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I don't know how many times I've nearly been killed by taxi drivers driving like the thuggish bullies that they are.

Also, how do they justify the 50 euro Airport charge? The cheek of them. Last time in the airport I asked a driver 'How much to town?". "50 euro" He said. "And you think that's reasonable?" I said. "Fookin take it or lee-urv it, pal, bleedin jaysus and shoite, fookin bollix, waaaaa, belch." He then "gozzied" on the ground beside me, seemingly to insult me, or something. "I'll tell you what," I said. "Take your 50 euro, and shove it up your ***". "Fookin cant talk to me loike dat you fookin poshy prick basturd". He then tried to get out of the taxi but tripped and fell in his own gozzy. Then the cops arrested him for being a dublin scumbag with a dublin accent.

And then the alarm clock woke you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    No sympathy for taxi-drivers.

I paid €50- last month for a taxi from Swords to Bettystown (20 minute trip). He should have worn a ski-mask driving us home.

Yeah and ? That's a normal price by my books. If you didn't want to pay you should have walked to Malahide and gotten the train. Or maybe drank a bit less at a fiver a pint so you could drive your own car..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Fine by me, that'll be 44 euro from O'Connell street to the airport in evening peak traffic so. Have you not understood yet that taxi's are allowed to use bus lanes because it's form of public transport and it's better value for the passenger :confused:

Then stick to the f*cking bus lane and stop dicing in and out of traffic and nearly causing accidents each time.

Yeah and ? That's a normal price by my books. If you didn't want to pay you should have walked to Malahide and gotten the train. Or maybe drank a bit less at a fiver a pint so you could drive your own car..

You sir and your attitude are a credit to taxi drivers everywhere....or the reason people have a problem with them...I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Swords to Bettystown is a journey of 32.2km ( towncenter to towncenter so you can assume the actual distance travelled was a bit longer ) according to www.aaroadwatch.ie. How, please explain, do you expect to pay less than a metered fare ? You'd love it when you walked into your job tomorrow and the boss turned and said :" Listen John, I know your contract says we owe you 15.6/hour but I'm only paying you 10 ". That's what a metered fare is : a contract.

Oh and by the way, comments about my driving. Stick'em where the sun don't shine buddy. Over a million miles driven without any incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

@ poster who travelled from Swords to Bettystown - it's over 30kms, what did you expect to pay? You hired a private car to take you from point A to point B, and at a distance of this length I think it's quite reasonable.

As I've said before, some taxi drivers think they are above the law and above regulation, although to say that all are is prejudicial and ridiculous. There are many fine taxi drivers out there, and as I've already said, I have yet to have an issue with one (touch wood).

The key is accountability, and for the industry to be treated as a business. There's a similar problem in the pub trade, where decades of profit and high consumer demand have prevented the owners of these licences from remembering that first and foremost, they are in the service industry.

For example, I am perfectly within my rights to select any taxi from a queue at a rank, and any taxi driver who thinks they have a right to accost me for making such a decision is way out of line. This is a customer-orientated business, and as such, both parties involved have a right to expect basic standards to be met. There are cartels and cliques that exist in the industry, and these need to be stamped out as they are counter-productive to both the consumer and new entrants to the business.

It gets up my nose when people complain about pricing, but yet they've failed to explore alternatives or even shopped around. The taxi fares are fully published and in the public domain, and a quick Google Map search and some basic calculations will let you know if you were charged the correct amount. You are completely within your rights to request a receipt at the end of your journey, and if you have a grievance over the vehicle/price/driver etc, you should make an issue of it with the relevant body.

Coming onto an internet forum and b1tching helps no-one, and certainly doesn't being to solve the many problems the taxi industry face. How are things supposed to improve if the paying customer won't dictate their service expectations to the industry?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Spook_ie wrote: »
    There is a charge of €184 per year for the NCT test ( assuming it passes 1st time ) and the replacement of the round stickers on the front and rear screens.

The idea was put to the TR in communications during one of the "infamous" consultation papers that the TR earned a reputation for..

The problem is that taxi drivers should never have been granted licences ad infinitum by the issuing body. A licence should be valid for one year, with the option to renew at the end of 12 months.

Given that years of cock-ups and b/s on both sides of the fence have left us with too many cars on the roads and not a good enough calibre of driver, vast and decisive change is needed by a body that is willing to fully manage and take responsibility for the industry.

On top of that, licencees asking for €6,000 for a licence that in some cases cost as little as €100 is totally taking the proverbial. I appreciate that not all people paid as little as that for their licence, but I certainly wouldn't pat €6k per licence to revert ownership to the public service. If anything, the value of a taxi licence has depreciated in the past few years, and I think that the deregulated price of a licence would be a more than fair offer to taxi licence holders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

here you go folks .
    heres a little help to those of you who want to "know before you go"
    its fairly accerate :rolleyes:
    http://www.worldtaximeter.com/
    from a nice taxi driver

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

here you go folks .
    heres a little help to those of you who want to "know before you go"
    its fairly accerate :rolleyes:
    http://www.worldtaximeter.com/
    from a nice taxi driver

It is pretty much spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

thelurch wrote: »
    As a taxi driver this about sums it up, a letter to thr Irish Times, Comments welcome
    Madam, - I have been a taxi-driver in Dublin for the past 14 years. I am appalled at the apparent inability of either the current taxi regulator, Kathleen Doyle, or the Government even to recognise how the business has been decimated since deregulation back in 2000.

This week we had the announcement that taxi fares are to increase by 8 per cent from November, with additional costs to take a taxi during the Christmas and New Year period. The regulator seems to believe this will help to offset the massive increases in the cost of running and maintaining a taxi.

Prior to deregulation in 2000 I used to earn a consistent and worthwhile wage. I worked reasonable hours, had a second driver working the night shift on my licence (so the car was on the road for about 20 hours each day), and thoroughly enjoyed my work.

Today I worked a 10-hour day shift. I had eight fares in that period with gross takings of €69. My petrol expenses were €25, so my take-home pay for 10 hours' hard driving on Dublin's congested streets was a mere €44! This is before I take into account the wear and tear on my vehicle and maintenance costs. So the stark reality is that I earned €4.40 an hour, far below the minimum wage.

Although not every day is as bad as this, I now consider it a "good" day if I manage to clear €80 after expenses. Is this because I am a bad taxi-driver? I think not. The reason is very simple: there are now so many taxis on the streets of Dublin that it is impossible to get parked on a rank. So most taxi-drivers now have to resort to cruising the streets looking for fares, not only adding to their costs, but also to the carbon emissions in the city. The undeniable truth is that there are too many taxis now plying for hire, with the result that it is now virtually impossible for a driver to earn a reasonable wage.

I am more than happy with the fare structure as it now stands. What is required from the taxi regulator and the Government is not an increase in fares but for some method to reduce the number of taxis.

The current situation can only get worse with the news that the country is now officially in recession. For it seems that one of the first things workers who are made redundant think of these days is to buy themselves a taxi licence under the false impression that they will be able to earn a good living. They will be joining thousands of part-time drivers who simply use their taxi at the weekends and at peak periods to supplement their good incomes as firemen, postal workers, gardaí, etc. This "double jobbing" is something the taxi regulator and Government could tackle immediately. May I close by appealing to anyone thinking of entering the taxi business to think again. They'd earn more money cleaning tables in a fast-food restaurant. - Yours, etc,

KEN JOHNSTONE,

Me boll*x mate. I wish I worked in an industry where at the stroke of a pen, my customers pay me 8% more. I'd love to be able to get 5 Euro of my customers before I moved an inch. The reason a lot of people won't go out to a pub these days is because of the stupid money to get a taxi out and home. If I want to go out with my mates, I'm looking at 40 Euro before I even see the barman.

Best thing that could be done with your industry is properly deregulate it and let prices look after themselves, like the rest of us have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If the taxi business if such a bad business, why do I see guys driving around in 2.5l mercs at 9am in the day? Me thinks there it money to be made in the business if one is smart enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Honestly, some people :rolleyes:

Think of it this way- how many times per year do you think your average Joe Soap takes a taxi during the daytime on a weekday? Very few, I would imagine. 20,000 cars vying for maybe 100,000 daily weekday journeys, I know not all the cars are on the road at the same time but it is still alot of competition. As meathstevie says, if you dont like the taxis, dont use them, simple as.

Maybe capping it at 10,000 would help the older guys out. But one thing that should be done is to get rid of any bloody foreigner's who cannot speak English or navigate the streets. That should help ease things for the older guys also. I got in a taxi on the quays a couple of months ago and told the driver Blanchardstown S.C. which is practically a straight run up the Navan Road.He did not have a notion where Blanchardstown even was and I had to direct him to hole way there and then had to pay for it ! What is right about that ?

They will call you a racist around here for that talk. Personally I reckon they oughta shove it up their hole. Obviously alot of the new foreign drivers are coming from places where the regulator would have trouble getting a criminal record check done. Surely there should be a cooling off period like 8 years crime free residency before getting a licence?

Also, Ive personally more often seen dodgy driving from bus drivers than taxi drivers for some reason. tbh I cant think of one occasion Ive been in a taxi and was concerned about the driving.

Fine by me, that'll be 44 euro from O'Connell street to the airport in evening peak traffic so. Have you not understood yet that taxi's are allowed to use bus lanes because it's form of public transport and it's better value for the passenger

Of course he doesnt understand. I checked out Spook_ie's taxi forum, there is so much ****e said about the industry here they have a special message board highlighting it. There is alot more to moan about Dublin Bus and its drivers (cant be arsed driving the last bus on the route, making up their own route if they dont fancy the regular, etc etc etc) than there is about Dublin taxis. Generally speaking, act sociable with them and they wont try to rip you off or be a prick. Personally if I was a driver and some of you got in my car I would take great joy in ripping you off given your attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Boo fukking hoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I wish I worked in an industry where at the stroke of a pen, my customers pay me 8% more

I know I can say this for my father and two others that are taxi drivers that they are seriously pissed at the proposed hike and that they've complained to the regulator. Think it's due to kick in Nov/start of Dec. They're of the opinion that this will cause less people to use a taxi as a method of transport. Consensus amongst them is not having the meter redone ie. new fare structure updated(which costs him the guts of €200) and just telling people they're charging the older prices.

In resposnse to drivers not knowing where they are going I really think there should be a number for people to ring up and report said drivers. Not knowing a housing estate in the back arse of nowhere is one thing but Blanch S.C, ffs. Any more than 3 major complaints and the driver should be hauled in off the road and tested on the spot. If they fail revoke the license. You won't have 1/4 of the jokers on the road anymore. This applies to Irish drivers too mind, I once got in a taxi in Leopardstown and asked to be brought to Clondalkin. Driver in his 40's hadn't a notion how to get there:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

One point I agree with though, with the economy lying on it's back with it's t*ts in the air, is that there is an increase of people looking at the taxi industry as an income. These folks should be brought into a program that will teach them a new skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can Taxi drivers claim the VAT back on petrol?

Alot of Taxi drivers during the week brought all those ould ones to the marches for free. Just thought I'd mention a good thing, since they are getting battered on here.

Now off with their Heads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

No, they can't claim back vat on petrol. They obviously can claim it as a motor expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

. Then the cops arrested him for being a dublin scumbag with a dublin accent.

you had me believing you til you came out with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I can rent a car here in sydney for 22 dollars a day. that works out at like 15 euro.

And also, we need the option of taxi's. Otherwise we would have to rely on buses/LUAS. So basically they are cover for public transport, when they're too full, after hours, or if the bus doesnt cover the area. For this reason alone, ie to keep the option there, the job should pay enough to keep taxi drivers doing the job. But as to why it should be a job which pays more than another job, which someone has dedicated their adult life to training for, is beyond me.

I've no problem with taxi drivers making a living, but to expect to be paid very very comfortably, when you've just fallen into a job with no real qualification to do so, or no real skill, other than being able to drive is just silly! If you want to be paid that much, change career! Imagine if McDonalds workers start complaining that they want 60k a year! For what?!?! Its the same with any other job that doesnt make people millionaires! IF you want it, then work for it, and get qualified for it. Dont just expect it to be handed to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

juvenal wrote: »
    The problem is that taxi drivers should never have been granted licences ad infinitum by the issuing body. A licence should be valid for one year, with the option to renew at the end of 12 months.

Given that years of cock-ups and b/s on both sides of the fence have left us with too many cars on the roads and not a good enough calibre of driver, vast and decisive change is needed by a body that is willing to fully manage and take responsibility for the industry.

On top of that, licencees asking for €6,000 for a licence that in some cases cost as little as €100 is totally taking the proverbial. I appreciate that not all people paid as little as that for their licence, but I certainly wouldn't pat €6k per licence to revert ownership to the public service. If anything, the value of a taxi licence has depreciated in the past few years, and I think that the deregulated price of a licence would be a more than fair offer to taxi licence holders now.

The deregulated price of a license is actualy €6300, unless you're refering to WCA licenses which are €125

http://www.taxireg.ie/files/Guide_G1_New_SPSV_Licence_November-2007.pdf

There are Facts and there are After Hours Facts only half of them are true

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Me boll*x mate. I wish I worked in an industry where at the stroke of a pen, my customers pay me 8% more. I'd love to be able to get 5 Euro of my customers before I moved an inch. The reason a lot of people won't go out to a pub these days is because of the stupid money to get a taxi out and home. If I want to go out with my mates, I'm looking at 40 Euro before I even see the barman.

Best thing that could be done with your industry is properly deregulate it and let prices look after themselves, like the rest of us have to do.

Yeah a stroke of the pen that'll cost taxi drivers around €150 to implement.
    Yeah a stroke of the pen that'll go someway to covering increased costs since 2006
    Yeah a stroke of the pen, that my base company is increasing their radio fee by 11%
    Yeah ( BTW it's €3.80 or €4.10 not €5 until 1/11/2008 ) considering it covers the 1st 1Km

In answer to the last one drink in your local...

In answer to the deregulated trade, I'd love it, charge you double when there's no taxis around and half price when the streets are full of empty taxis

Then stick to the f*cking bus lane and stop dicing in and out of traffic and nearly causing accidents each time.

You sir and your attitude are a credit to taxi drivers everywhere....or the reason people have a problem with them...I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, see the boardsies posts now " Robbing taxi driver charges me more because he stops behind the buses in the bus stops instead of overtaking them "

As to the go to Malahide and catch a train, I have to agree, if you want to come down to Swords and drink from Bettystown then you should cost up the alternative transports home, if they're too expensive or unavailable because you've spent so long in Wright's then stay up in Meath, you won't be missed that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Taxi drivers are to blame for the recession. Everyone know this.

Oh wait - it may be foreigners.

Or the gays.

(Oh I'm so confused)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It is pretty much spot on

Have to have a quiet chuckle to myself when I recall posters saying how much cheaper taxis are in different countries like Germany
    Estimated Fare using meter at 20:16
    Berlin
    Distance: 20.73 km. | Duration: 19 min.

jump in the taxi 3.00 €
    7.0 km. x 1.58 € per km 11.06 €
    13.73 km. x 1.20 € per km 21.71 €
    waiting in traffic (~6 min.) 2.73 €
    Total 38.50 €

Estimated Fare using meter at 20:16
    Dublin
    Distance: 19.43 km. | Duration: 26 min.

first kilometer 4.10 €
    14.0 km. x 1.25 € per km (tariff A) 17.50 €
    5.43 km. x 1.45 € per km (tariff B) 7.88 €
    waiting in traffic (~9 min.) 4.14 €
    Total 33.62 €

Maybe someone could mess around with different destinations to come up with an even closer distance to compare...

Logical conclusion, the majority of AH posters would complain about anything, anyway, anytime....

And then people complain about a standard €2 pick up charge, be thankfull you're not in Barcelona
    Weekend nights have a surplus of 2.10 €.
    Each piece of luggage will mean a charge of 1 €.
    If you are getting a taxi by phone, you can expect the taxicab to come with the taximeter already running. That amount cannot, however, exceed 3.22 € during the day, 3.99 € night, or 6.50 € on Fridays, Saturdays or holidays at night. Motorway tolls are paid separately by the passenger.
    Taxi drivers are only required to carry change for payment up to 20 €.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Lets all put our hands together and have a big fu*k off round of applause for our wonderful taxi drivers................whats that? cant hear anything....

Well fu8ck me that a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I can sympathise with someone who is finding their livelihood being squeezed. People have families and mortgages.

However, the Taxi unions wanted to keep the old 2,000 taxis cap at the expense of the general public and seemed to have no sympathy for us queueing in the pissing rain.

Basically, tough shyte lads. Your own collective attitude in the past is what has lead to this f u attitude from the public.

(One time I couldn't get to work (bus from Dame St.) because of a taxi strike blocking the streets. I asked a couple of drivers was it really fair to mess up my day for their gripe. I was informed that I was in danger of getting the shyte kicked out of me just for approaching them and asking. Up yours, collectively, as it were).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Also, other low-skill jobs should be regulated by the government.

Why should anyone be cleaning tables for minimum wage? Table cleaning licenses should be dished out and table cleaners guaranteed 1200 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

ha. this reminds of that episode of the simpsons where homer gets the truck drivers easy number busted and they all have to move onto the next easy thing... furbies or pokemon or something i think it was :D

evolve or die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Also, other low no-skill jobs should be regulated by the government.

Fixed that for you. I wish I could get paid €50k+ a year for sitting on my arse and speaking sh!te all day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

DonJose wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. I wish I could get paid €50k+ a year for sitting on my arse and speaking sh!te all day ;)

You can.Work for the government :pac:

nothing stopping you getting a taxi licence
    tell you what ... while im off sunning myself in my villa ,managing my off shore account ,you can rent out my taxi
    lets say 150e a day ,
    sure you,ll make that back in the first hour .
    its coming to that time of the year where i take my three weeks off .
    before the christmas rush .
    then i go again for the new year ,just for some well earned R+R
    plus to take a few thou off shore ;) nudge ,nudge, wink wink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

There's a lot of new fast food shops opening up, should we put a cap on the amount of them so the owners profits who opened up first remain high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

There's a lot of new fast food shops opening up, should we put a cap on the amount of them so the owners profits who opened up first remain high?

There is a fair amount of economic illiteracy in this thread. There are natural barriers to entry for shops etc. - the location. The reason why taxi driver wages are falling is because taxi drivers are competing with immigrant ( and other) labour in a fashion in which most graduates do not have to - certainly not Doctors, Pharmacists et al. In a global world most high salaries are due to cartels.

One thing that you may not want to happen here is the law of unintended consequences - a natural barrier to entry for immigrants would be lack of knowedge of the city, lack of knowledge about local streets, bot enough English etc.. Without any barriers at all all wages - in an era with (seemingly) unrestricted migration, and global pressures from China and India - tend towards the minimum wage at best. And the service will suffer.

And after the taxi drivers, you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Only ever had one problem myself,

A few years back Myself and one of my mates were getting a taxi back from town one night, and the guy just went on a racist rant. We weren't even talking to him or prompting him whatsoever, he just kept on speeling out sh1te.

Anyways my mate was skint and I was paying for the taxi, when we got where we were going I hopped out first and just strolled away. My mate copped on and ran out after me. The driver shouted after us and said he was going to the gards etc, I just shouted back "Fair enough, ya racist pr1ck, see ya later". Off we went down the lane that leads to my mate's estate.

I would never do this normally and I had plenty of money to pay him, but I just didn't feel like it after being subjected to his hate speech.

Other than that one incident I have had no problems at all.

As a taxi driver, I wish I had a job that paid that to, care to tell me what job it is because it sure as hell ain't taxi driving!

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    Only ever had one problem myself,

A few years back Myself and one of my mates were getting a taxi back from town one night, and the guy just went on a racist rant. We weren't even talking to him or prompting him whatsoever, he just kept on speeling out sh1te.

Anyways my mate was skint and I was paying for the taxi, when we got where we were going I hopped out first and just strolled away. My mate copped on and ran out after me. The driver shouted after us and said he was going to the gards etc, I just shouted back "Fair enough, ya racist pr1ck, see ya later". Off we went down the lane that leads to my mate's estate.

I would never do this normally and I had plenty of money to pay him, but I just didn't feel like it after being subjected to his hate speech.

Other than that one incident I have had no problems at all.

Regardless of his racist spiel, what right did you have to ROB someone, if you were in the pub and someone on the next table was being racist, went to the loo and left their wallet on the table, would you STEAL that as well.
    I was going to launch into a tyrade about calling you scum, filth, worse than dog**** on a shoe but then thought that you aren't even worth that, I just hope that some day karma takes a hand and you get mugged..

keen wrote: »

There's already a cap on fastfood outlets, it's called planning permission...

Regardless of his racist spiel, what right did you have to ROB someone, if you were in the pub and someone on the next table was being racist, went to the loo and left their wallet on the table, would you STEAL that as well.
    I was going to launch into a tyrade about calling you scum, filth, worse than dog**** on a shoe but then thought that you aren't even worth that, I just hope that some day karma takes a hand and you get mugged..

I did not rob him,

I refused to pay for his services as they were unsatisfactory and he very was very offensive, used vulgar language and racial slurs throughout the whole maybe 10 minute journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

I did not rob him,

I refused to pay for his services as they were unsatisfactory and he very was very offensive, used vulgar language and racial slurs throughout the whole maybe 10 minute journey.

fair play to you man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Army Of One

There are good Taxi drivers, bad ones too and inbetweenies. Much like every other industry.

Bumping up the requirements to be a Taxi driver and deregulating the industry is the only way forward.

I did not rob him,

that other poster held back on calling you SCUM but i wont .
    you are a thief and a low life scum bucket ,plain and simple .
    grow up you retard

I did not rob him,

Well I'll tell you what Mr. Thief why don't you go to your local Garda station and tell them and see if they agree with you, after all you DonJose and hopalong85 seem to think you didn't do any wrong.

Myself I would be worried about the pensioners you meet in quiet streets, after all they're nice soft targets as well and it is said to be much easier the 2nd and 3rd time around..

that other poster held back on calling you SCUM but i wont .
    you are a thief and a low life scum bucket ,plain and simple .
    grow up you retard

I disagree.

I'm my opinion the taxi driver was a scumbag and should not have subjected us to listening to that sh1te. It was obvious we did not agree with him as we did not acknowledge anything he said.

He was rude, offensive and vulgar. And made us both feel uncomfortable.

You expect me to pay for that?? Take a hike...

If he wanted to get paid he should have been professional, what other job could you do and get away with it? None. You would be sacked on the spot in any other profession for speaking to a customer like that.

Myself I would be worried about the pensioners you meet in quiet streets, after all they're nice soft targets as well and it is said to be much easier the 2nd and 3rd time around..

Yes... Cos I rob old people. Because thats the exact same. Sure. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm my opinion the taxi driver was a scumbag and should not have subjected us to listening to that sh1te. It was obvious we did not agree with him as we did not acknowledge anything he said.

However you dont get to police his views, or not pay for views you find offensive. An religious right winger may, for instance, get into a taxi and hear a taxi driver rant about the Catholic Church and be offended. How would the taxi driver know if not told?

Money is owed anyway.

What you have the right to do is ask for silence, by saying you are offended, not decide at the end of the trip that you are not paying. The taxi drivers remit is to drive you home, not mind-read your opinions and keep contrary opinions to himself. I dont even know if you can refuse to pay if he continues to speak when you ask him to stop. But thats moot. As you didnt.

asdasd wrote: »
    However you dont get to police his views, or not pay for views you find offensive. An religious right winger may, for instance, get into a taxi and hear a taxi driver rant about the Catholic Church and be offended. How would the taxi driver know if not told?

Money is owed anyway.

What you have the right to do is ask for silence, by saying you are offended, not decide at the end of the trip that you are not paying. The taxi drivers remit is to drive you home, not mind-read your opinions and keep contrary opinions to himself. I dont even know if you can refuse to pay if he continues to speak when you ask him to stop. But thats moot. As you didnt.

So say for example I'm a salesman or something,

I'm making idle chit-chat with a customer while finalizing the sale and my topic of choice is how all the **** and chinks are robbing us blind and they are filthy feckers etc. Its not professional and you would not put up with it anywhere else.

He didn't have to mind-read any opinions, he had to have enough common sense and professionalism to know that going on a racist rant is inappropriate at any time, unless your in the pub with your mates.

So say for example I'm a salesman or something,

I'm making idle chit-chat with a customer while finalizing the sale and my topic of choice is how all the **** and chinks are robbing us blind and they are filthy feckers etc. Its not professional and you would not put up with it anywhere else.

Sure I'd walk out. What you think you can do is take the item and run.

Just doing some background checking on Fiend-Foe, maybe your new apartment is haunted by a taximans ghost who knows what you did, hope you sleep happily while a taximans ghost comes after you with a screwdriver...ooer missus just realised its Haloween time soon as well...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

In Madrid the swines charge a €5.50 supplement to either go to or be taken from the airport ! better still if they know you dont speak the lingo they try and wack that up to €8 ! I think our fares are not to bad in comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement