Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Driver

• 23-10-2008 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

As a taxi driver this about sums it up, a letter to thr Irish Times, Comments welcome
    Madam, - I have been a taxi-driver in Dublin for the past 14 years. I am appalled at the apparent inability of either the current taxi regulator, Kathleen Doyle, or the Government even to recognise how the business has been decimated since deregulation back in 2000.

This week we had the announcement that taxi fares are to increase by 8 per cent from November, with additional costs to take a taxi during the Christmas and New Year period. The regulator seems to believe this will help to offset the massive increases in the cost of running and maintaining a taxi.

Prior to deregulation in 2000 I used to earn a consistent and worthwhile wage. I worked reasonable hours, had a second driver working the night shift on my licence (so the car was on the road for about 20 hours each day), and thoroughly enjoyed my work.

Today I worked a 10-hour day shift. I had eight fares in that period with gross takings of €69. My petrol expenses were €25, so my take-home pay for 10 hours' hard driving on Dublin's congested streets was a mere €44! This is before I take into account the wear and tear on my vehicle and maintenance costs. So the stark reality is that I earned €4.40 an hour, far below the minimum wage.

Although not every day is as bad as this, I now consider it a "good" day if I manage to clear €80 after expenses. Is this because I am a bad taxi-driver? I think not. The reason is very simple: there are now so many taxis on the streets of Dublin that it is impossible to get parked on a rank. So most taxi-drivers now have to resort to cruising the streets looking for fares, not only adding to their costs, but also to the carbon emissions in the city. The undeniable truth is that there are too many taxis now plying for hire, with the result that it is now virtually impossible for a driver to earn a reasonable wage.

I am more than happy with the fare structure as it now stands. What is required from the taxi regulator and the Government is not an increase in fares but for some method to reduce the number of taxis.

The current situation can only get worse with the news that the country is now officially in recession. For it seems that one of the first things workers who are made redundant think of these days is to buy themselves a taxi licence under the false impression that they will be able to earn a good living. They will be joining thousands of part-time drivers who simply use their taxi at the weekends and at peak periods to supplement their good incomes as firemen, postal workers, gardaí, etc. This "double jobbing" is something the taxi regulator and Government could tackle immediately. May I close by appealing to anyone thinking of entering the taxi business to think again. They'd earn more money cleaning tables in a fast-food restaurant. - Yours, etc,

KEN JOHNSTONE,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

In all reality, ya dont need a degree or anything to be a taxi man. If you want more money, put some hard work into training yourself. Just dont complain that you have a non-skilled job and you're not earning 6 figures! I dont understand why everyone EXPECTS to be paid well, even if they havent done anything to merit it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

it's pretty simple, if there's too many taxi drivers some of them will go busto, and the market will stop being over saturated. there's no need for government intervention. btw if i was made redundant buying myself a taxi licence is one of the last things i would think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have no sympathy for them at all and never will - I can remember the bad old days that letter refers to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I'm sorry but not a lot of sympathy here, I am sick of hearing about poor taxi drivers and poor farmers, deal with it or get another job the same as the rest of the poor workers in this country, why should you get any more consideration than the rest of us!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd say everyone here has spend hours in the rain in town at the weekend trying to get a taxi in the past, it does not seem to be as bad anymore and that is a good thing. In other countries it is generally even better for the customer. In London you come out of a club at 3am and the taxi drivers bid for your business so you get the cheapest fare possible.

Maybe regulate the hours some people can work to allow more taxis on the roads at peak times etc - that might be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

How do taxi drivers in other countries make a living?
    If you go to the likes of spain etc... there are loads of taxis on the roads.
    The difference is that, it doesnt cost you €10 to go 5 minutes up the road in Spain, you would probably pay about €3.
    This encourages people to take taxi's more often and therefore creates more work.
    (and the difference in petrol costs couldn't warrant that extra charge.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

That letter is a complete load of sh*te, I have family and friends in the game and if they work the hours (what any taximan expects) they will earn 800-1000 euro a week.

I'm sure that whinger made a ''decent'' liveing before deregulation.....ffs their were only 2000 cabs to service a million people, a taxi driver pre degregulation could earn 1400 punts a week no proplem.

The market will find its own level of cabs required........simlpe as.

And no amount of crying or whingeing will stop the free market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Dear Mr Taxi driver

poor you previously you had is sweet you had your car on the road 20 hours a day, you worked 8 - 10 yourself and some poor sod paid you for the privilege of driving your car. jack pot two incomes in your pocket

i suggest you go here with your problems they may be able to assist you with resolving it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

not yet wrote: »
    That letter is a complete load of sh*te, I have family and friends in the game and if they work the hours (what any taximan expects) they will earn 800-1000 euro a week

If in Dublin that's complete and utter bollox.

If in Dublin that's complete and utter bollox.

Listen pal the good old days are gone get use to it, and learn to live on a average wage......

• Advertisement

Listen pal the good old days are gone get use to it, and learn to live on a average wage......
    I have family and friends in the game and if they work the hours (what any taximan expects) they will earn 800-1000 euro a week.

I'd like you to show me where the average wage is somewhere between €41,600-€52,000 and pal, I'm no taxi driver either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

thelurch wrote: »
    Today I worked a 10-hour day shift. I had eight fares in that period with gross takings of €69. My petrol expenses were €25, so my take-home pay for 10 hours' hard driving on Dublin's congested streets was a mere €44! This is before I take into account the wear and tear on my vehicle and maintenance costs. So the stark reality is that I earned €4.40 an hour, far below the minimum wage.

Without sounding harsh: change jobs then.

Taxis are a public service. They don't exist solely to provide lucrative jobs for taxi drivers. I didn't see drivers showing any solidarity with each other when they were flogging plates to each other for 80k before deregulation.

I'd like you to show me where the average wage is somewhere between €41,600-€52,000 and pal, I'm no taxi driver either.

Show you!!!! show you how..............

Would you like the contact details of my friends or family members.

I work with a guy who does it ''part'' time 30 hours a week, he told me he wouldn't do those hours for less then 700euro a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Stupid taxis drivers and their whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Dear Mr Taxi Driver,
    You didn't make minimum wage on one day? Why sir, this is clearly a travesty. Nowhere else in Ireland or the world would this happen. It is no less than an outrage!

I hereby offer you a contract to pay you minimum wage. That's right, you sir, are guaranteed the minimum wage each day, every day. In return, you will be expected to hand over all earnings (inc. weekend earnings, and the money you do not normally declare for tax reasons) to me. You will also be expected to read the new employee handbook and will be contractually obliged to be courteous, quiet, attentive and avoid vulgar language. you will be expected to maintain a high standard of hygiene. Any airing of racist views shall result in disciplinary action. You will also work the hours specified, not just the ones that suit you.

If this suits sir, please feel free to e-mail me at igiveacrap@boohoohoo.ie

Kindest Regards,
    K.

I work with a guy who does it ''part'' time 30 hours a week, he told me he wouldn't do those hours for less then 700euro a week.

€700 for 30 hours work is pretty good I must say. I guess I'll just go out and buy a plate and I'll be on my merry way :rolleyes:

You said learn to live on an average wage, if I was earning what your friend does for "part time" work I'd be out on the streets right now(working obviously). I'd love to know how much he was earning before he had to learn to live on average wage.

My father is a driver in Dublin. After weekly costs there's no way he'd be up €700 for 30 hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

the last part of your statement says it all ;)
    so this guy your working with is doing 39 hours plus traveling time to and from work and then coming out and doing another 30 hours driving a taxi .
    and in his "part time "driving he,s earning more than 700e a week [yeh right ]
    thats over 70 hours a week .
    how safe is that driver at 4am on a sunday morning ?
    take it from me and other taxi drivers who might care to respond you are being fed aload of sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

if there's too many taxi drivers some of them will go busto, and the market will stop being over saturated

Why would they go bust - it is possible that immigrants may work for less than the average, or even minimum wage. The problem here is a race to the bottom. And the argument could apply everywhere else as well. Too many doctors? Too many lawyers? Hire more until the market becomes unsaturated.

Too many civil servants? Why not apply the race to the bottom philosophy to everyone, and make civil servante compete for their jobs with people who would do it cheaper? Taxi drivers were not the only worker cartel in ireland.

The reason this guy works a taxi, plus full time job is he bought a plate for 82k before dereg, so has huge payments on that loan, the hours he does are hours I wouldn't work i.e thurs fri sat 6pm to 4am but the money is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your friend is telling you porkies, and isn't your friend.

He's asking you to believe that he makes over €20 per hour, EVERY hour. Thats bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Complaining about having to work hard :rolleyes: Welcome to the new Ireland, it's about to get a lot harder.

It's really a part time job these days (like it or not) thanks to so many plates, customer numbers etc.

Increasing the price would eventually kill it as a business, people (already under pressure financially) would just stop taking a taxi, either bus it, walk, stay in or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

The reason this guy works a taxi, plus full time job is he bought a plate for 82k before dereg, so has huge payments on that loan, the hours he does are hours I wouldn't work i.e thurs fri sat 6pm to 4am but the money is there.
    sorry mate but even if he did spend 80k before dereg thats nearly nine years ago .the guy is a danger to the public in his actions .
    he feeding you a big brick with salt on it .
    at this stage i dont give a sh1te anymore .its the likes of this guy who is spoofing others and getting them to buy plates with the illusions of this gold mine that is the taxi industry .
    so folks there thousands to be made ,BUY THAT TAXI PLATE ,EARN 1000E FOR A SATURDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
    remember the only people who made money in the gold rush were the ones selling the picks and shovels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I drove a Taxi full time for 6 years mostly evening,nights and weekends.I sold my Taxi to a guy that got redundency. I tried to earn a living working monday to friday from 9.30 am to about 8 pm and it was hard to do.I would earn some money but quiet days were more often that the busy ones.I was with a very good taxi company but in general it very slow.I was fed up working all the unsocial hours and days was my only option. It didnt work for me so I gave it up.
    I understand the frustration felt be many Taxi drivers. A lot of the older Taxi drivers are realy stuck.They have been a long time in the industry and getting a full time job would not be easy.
    The Taxi industry in this country is in transition.Its changing from a good money spinner to a part time/low income job.
    My fear is for the public, I am a family man and try to do the right thing when I can,Ive brought young girls home from town after being attacked and getting seperated from their friends without taking a penny for the fare,Ive driven to other countys to return lost phones,bags ect.I brought pensioners to the post office for free... My point is that there is a new breed of Taxi driver now, they are low paid and from all types of backrounds.A taxi is not the safe place it used to be.
    The solution is simple = If in doubt, get out !

Mairt wrote: »
    Your friend is telling you porkies, and isn't your friend.

He's asking you to believe that he makes over €20 per hour, EVERY hour. Thats bullsh*t.

So every person I know who is in the game are telling ''porkies''

The bottom line is if your willing to work fri, sat nights you will make 250 min each night.

So every person I know who is in the game are telling ''porkies''

The bottom line is if your willing to work fri, sat nights you will make 250 min each night.

Add to that 80-100 euro per shift i.e mon,tue,wed,thurs 9ish to 6ish and that a good weeks wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 major_pain

I know Taxi drivers who have 3 and 4 houses and now they're complain that they cant get tennants in because "all the foreigners" are gone home.

Im not saying all taxi drivers have 3 and 4 houses but it goes to show that there is money out there and if they can earn it why cant the other taxi drivers?

It seems taxi drivers do nothing but complain no matter what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I have zero sympathy for taxi drivers - I remember pre 2000 and walking 6 miles home from town as there were no taxis.

In addition as a cyclist and motorists I find taxi drivers to be the most ignorant users of the road and really think it is about time that they are no longer permitted to use bus lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Karoma wrote: »
    Dear Mr Taxi Driver,
    You didn't make minimum wage on one day? Why sir, this is clearly a travesty. Nowhere else in Ireland or the world would this happen. It is no less than an outrage!

I hereby offer you a contract to pay you minimum wage. That's right, you sir, are guaranteed the minimum wage each day, every day. In return, you will be expected to hand over all earnings (inc. weekend earnings, and the money you do not normally declare for tax reasons) to me. You will also be expected to read the new employee handbook and will be contractually obliged to be courteous, quiet, attentive and avoid vulgar language. you will be expected to maintain a high standard of hygiene. Any airing of racist views shall result in disciplinary action. You will also work the hours specified, not just the ones that suit you.

Kindest Regards,
    K.

ENOUGH- I am not going to prattle on here about taxi drivers. My father is one and will defend him
    (and other hard working, full time only drivers ,who are in the game longer than peoples average age on boards)

BUT what I dont expect is a MOD to add fuel to the fire
    OP posted letter clearly trolling - as per responses - as we dont know why Ken wrote the letter having to defend himself ie, we dont know full reason behind the letter. As most taxi drivers are too well aware of public perception (as people sh*te, piss and get sick in their places of work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

I don't know how many times I've nearly been killed by taxi drivers driving like the thuggish bullies that they are.

Also, how do they justify the 50 euro Airport charge? The cheek of them. Last time in the airport I asked a driver 'How much to town?". "50 euro" He said. "And you think that's reasonable?" I said. "Fookin take it or lee-urv it, pal, bleedin jaysus and shoite, fookin bollix, waaaaa, belch." He then "gozzied" on the ground beside me, seemingly to insult me, or something. "I'll tell you what," I said. "Take your 50 euro, and shove it up your ***". "Fookin cant talk to me loike dat you fookin poshy prick basturd". He then tried to get out of the taxi but tripped and fell in his own gozzy. Then the cops arrested him for being a dublin scumbag with a dublin accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I don't know how many times I've nearly been killed by taxi drivers driving like the thuggish bullies that they are.

Also, how do they justify the 50 euro Airport charge? The cheek of them. Last time in the airport I asked a driver 'How much to town?". "50 euro" He said. "And you think that's reasonable?" I said. "Fookin take it or lee-urv it, pal, bleedin jaysus and shoite, fookin bollix, waaaaa, belch." He then "gozzied" on the ground beside me, seemingly to insult me, or something. "I'll tell you what," I said. "Take your 50 euro, and shove it up your ***". "Fookin cant talk to me loike dat you fookin poshy prick basturd". He then tried to get out of the taxi but tripped and fell in his own gozzy. Then the cops arrested him for being a dublin scumbag with a dublin accent.

Ya, thats funny
    Reminds me of the time when my father came home shaking because 2 junkies held a syringe to his neck
    Was hilarious

read the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

meh, tax drivers had all this coming to them for the crap they put the country through prior to deregulation.

All those people queuing for hours for a taxi in the wee hours of the morning, now couldn't care less about the "woes" of a taxi driver, and this is being reflected in the lack of support for the driver's.

Karma is cruel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah yeah - eyes on the road, keep your mouth shut and get me home Jeeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

What is required from the taxi regulator and the Government is not an increase in fares but for some method to reduce the number of taxis.

Like pre-2000? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

No sympathy for taxi-drivers.

I paid €50- last month for a taxi from Swords to Bettystown (20 minute trip). He should have worn a ski-mask driving us home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Johnny Drama

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    He should have worn a ski-mask driving us home.

You have a gimp fetish? :confused:

• Advertisement

Seriously, so for a few hours two nights a week a driver would make what the average joe makes in a week after tax?.

I still think thats a bullsh*t line your being fed, in which case your 'friends' ain't friends.

I seriously doubt there's lads making that kind of money, but I've no doubt about it that lads are SAYING they're making it.

Three spoofs I hear from taxi driver's all the time..

1. How much money they're making.

2. The amount of chic's they shag.

3. The amount of lads they've had to beat up for their fare.

Its bullsh*t.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    No sympathy for taxi-drivers.

I paid €50- last month for a taxi from Swords to Bettystown (20 minute trip). He should have worn a ski-mask driving us home.

If I'd paid (and I ain't a fool so I'd never be in a position to post this) a taxi driver €50 from Swords to Bettystown I'd be too embarressed to post about it here.

Did you get a receipt, or even quiry the fare?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This thread is ridiculous. "Them god damn taxi drivers, one time one overcharged me so they all deserve to earn no money."

My dad is a taxi driver and he barely scrapes a living, and he has a family to support. He spends hours driving around aimlessly, wasting petrol and adding to the congestion, and works all the hours under the sun. He's been supporting his family since he was 17, first his mother then his wife and children, so forgive him for not hving time to get a drgree. He's been trying to get a job for months, but can't get anything because of dem bleedin foridners because in this time of economic uncertainty, people aren't really hiring.

There are far too many taxis on the road, even if you don't like taxis you can see that, so obviously they're all making less money.

Also, yer man that knows a driver that makes a grand, how does he do that? I'll pass the tips onto my dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That...didn't actually happen, did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Txi bashing again, whats new, you blame the taxi drivers before dereg for most of the problems with taxi drivers now, the 11k new taxi drivers in Dublin were not the ones who made us wait 3 hours for a cab on a sat night.
    I use taxis every day and maybe get 1 bad one out of 10.
    Its a hard job and now theres to many of them fighting to make a living, they dont wanna rise in fares as they will lose valuable customers that will find alternitive transport, so give it a rest, find something rightful to maon about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I hate Bus Drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

LouOB wrote: »
    BUT what I dont expect is a MOD to add fuel to the fire
    OP posted letter clearly trolling - as per responses - as we dont know why Ken wrote the letter having to defend himself ie, we dont know full reason behind the letter. As most taxi drivers are too well aware of public perception (as people sh*te, piss and get sick in their places of work)

Even more embarassing than Karomas pointless post was that six brown nosers thanked him.

Eaxctly what is the problem many here have with taxi drivers? In my five years of taking them once per weekend on average I have had three negative incidents:

An Arab lad who dropped me half a mile from where I should have been as he thought he was at the right spot (Id never been there myself)

A taxi that stank to the high heavens, smelled like a soiled nappy quite frankly. Had the winter open the entire journey, really should have got out but whatever. Driver, Irish, 40s, was a bit of an oddball too (which tbh is probably the reason I didnt say I wanted out, in case he turned a bit funny)

A Nigerian lad who tried to fleece me off change when I was hammered

Apart from those three incidents, save for the minor inconvenience of having to direct alot of foreign drivers to pretty well known destinations, that is the sum total of my negative experiences in what must have been around 200 taxi trips in that time. Back in my teens I was once so pissed I had no money to pay, had already dropped my phone down the side of the seat in the car and stumbled out and the driver could do nothing. He called my oul fella the next day and (after I got a bit of an earfull of my dad) I went to meet him to get the phone. Offered him 50 quid for his trouble (phone wasnt worth that much, but as thanks for getting my numbers back) he repeatedtly declined, all he wanted was the 12 quid I owed him.

I get the feeling that maybe taxi drivers treat alot of boards users badly because they act like belligerent get a real job you knacker tossers infront of them. Dont like taxis? Either risk your neck on the fightlink or stay in at the weekend moaning on After Hours. I doubt anyone in the real world will miss your presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I have said it before but the best solution to this is to tender out contracts to a load of companies who would then just hire drivers. It would lead to an increase in the standards of drivers because dirty cars and obnoxious drivers would result in a loss of business.It would also introuduce a standard wage for taxi drivers, in other countries a taxi driver is not paid an above average wage, they have had it good for long enough now its just time for reality to set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Another thread that turns into a taxi-bashing-fest. :rolleyes:

As usual, we rarely see thread about a pleasant experience with a taxi, or a rational discussion on the current state of the industry.

For starters, I've no affiliation with any aspect of the taxi industry, and I only know of one person (an extended family acquaintance) that is a driver. I've no sympathy for the long-serving drivers who paid top dollar before deregulation for a plate, and I've no sympathy for people who thought they'd jump on the bandwagon after deregulation and make a packet before the market got very crowded.

In any business, where one is self-employed, there is an element of risk in investment, and there's also periods where the business will peak and trough. The issue with the taxi industry here (in Dublin), is that it is essentially a rat race, with drivers being forced to fight like animals to collect a fare.

Some people (and this is a wider problem in Ireland and other countries), feel like they've a sense of entitlement to make top dollar and have a comfortable lifestyle. This is b/s, you have to work to get ahead, and this doesn't mean just trotting out for a few hours on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. I appreciate also that there are genuine decent drivers who are struggling to make a living with the market being flooded.

Any cursory glance down Dawson Street on a Tuesday evening, and you will see a line of yellow topped cars stretching several hundred yards like a Carlsberg ad. This is to be expected, as we can all understand how people are being a little more coy with their disposable income, and as it's a service industry, the taxi business is bound to suffer.

A number of things need to happen in the industry for real progress to be made. In no particular order:
    • Private ownership should be phased out. The days of Joe Soap owning his plate and using the family car as a taxi at night are out. Companies should own the equipment and licences, and hire skilled drivers for an annual salary, and the supply will soon meet the demand. Much like large courier companies, responsibility for the actions of the driver fall squarely at the door of the company, and also the driver themselves. Drivers have a right to feel as secure in their job both financially and safety-wise as the passenger in the back seat.

The car is on the road 24/7, with three different drivers doing 8hr shifts - just like any other job.

• A standard colour and model of vehicle should be assigned to taxis, just like NYC (yellow Ford), and London (black cab). At present, almost any car can be used as a taxi, from a fifteen year-old Toyota Corolla to a brand new Mercedes. To an outsider, the idea of a taxi being essentially a private car with a magnetic yellow lamp on the roof is a joke, and this enables the cowboys with their fake meters and licences to operate.

• All cars to be fitted with two-way radios, GPS navigation, and operated by a uniformed driver. They also should be fitted with a protective perspex screen, with customers sitting in the rear of the vehicle, unless a party of four or larger requires the front passenger seat to be used. The meter should be clearly displayed on top of the dashboard and in the rear of the cab, not hidden beneath the radio or inbuilt into the rear-view mirror.

• Payment by cash, laser and credit card possible in all taxis. If this isn't possible, then it should not be on the road. Also mandatory receipts issued, as they are by the majority of drivers at the moment.

• No extra charge for radio/telephone/airport bookings. I am GUARANTEEING you revenue and a job, and you want to charge me extra for the privilege? If I was a taxi driver, and when I left the house at the beginning of an 8-hour shift, and I knew I was booked for 12 jobs (12 x 30mins = 6hrs) that night, is that better than roaming the streets wondering where the next fare is coming from? Of course it is. Why penalise the customer for pre-booking the car; as it's definite business, which means definite income, which means definite salary;

• Only three varieties of vehicle used as a taxi cab. One large saloon model, e.g. VW Passat, capable of comfortably carrying three adults in the rear, with a fourth seat if needed in the front passenger. Another MPV six/sever seater, e.g. Mercedes Vito, with 3 opposite 3 seats in rear, and another front passenger seat if needed. Modified wheelchair accessible vehicle, with hydraulic lift and room for at least one/two able bodied passengers.

These models should be mandatory, and not open to debate/interpretation. I'm sure some of the motor manufacturers would be only too happy to have a contract to supply thousands of bespoke vehicles to the taxi companies, with a mandatory upgrade every three to five years.
    Many taxi drivers are upstanding workers, and I can say I'm lucky I've never had an issue with one in Dublin. Invariably as with any industry, the bad apples will get the most press. The days of taxiing being a self-employed industry are over, and a lot of drivers don't understand that they work in the tertiary sector.

When Joe Punter hires a private cab, he has the right to assume that he can ask for the radio on/off, the a/c on/off, no smoking, and for the driver not to be jabbering to his family/friends on the phone/radio. The basis of hiring a private car to take you on your journey, is that, within reason, you can expect to be treated and travel with the same degree of comfort as you would in your own car. Unfortunately this is a thing that some drivers don't understand.

Accountability is king. If you don't like the service provided by Taxi Company A, then you will use Taxi Company B in future, and that will go a long way to keeping the industry a bit honest in it's approach to the public and in it's service delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Karoma wrote: »
    Dear Mr Taxi Driver,

Kindest Regards,
    K.

I tried emailing you to take up that offer for a trial period of 12 weeks, the email address returns as unknown, you sir are a ****** to raise my hopes like that, however if you genuinely would like to make me that offer then contact me

I have said it before but the best solution to this is to tender out contracts to a load of companies who would then just hire drivers. It would lead to an increase in the standards of drivers because dirty cars and obnoxious drivers would result in a loss of business.It would also introuduce a standard wage for taxi drivers, in other countries a taxi driver is not paid an above average wage, they have had it good for long enough now its just time for reality to set in.
    juvenal wrote: »
    Another thread that turns into a taxi-bashing thread. :rolleyes:

As usual, we rarely see thread about a pleasant experience with a taxi, or a rational discussion on the current state of the industry. snipped rest of post for brevity

I would like to point out that the TR has been approached with the idea of taking into public ownership all plates at the basic cost of €6000 per plate, so that the people who want to run a taxi firm or a taxi would be able to lease them from the TR and the TR would then be able to directly control both the amounts of taxis being licensed and to whom they are being leased. As is usual for any government quango the standard reply is " Not in my remit " so I'm afraid that the idea of fleets of cars being driven for a low but guaranteed wage are out of the window already....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I would like to point out that the TR has been approached with the idea of taking into public ownership all plates at the basic cost of €6000 per plate, so that the people who want to run a taxi firm or a taxi would be able to lease them from the TR and the TR would then be able to directly control both the amounts of taxis being licensed and to whom they are being leased. As is usual for any government quango the standard reply is " Not in my remit " so I'm afraid that the idea of fleets of cars being driven for a low but guaranteed wage are out of the window already....

The government effed-up by issuing licences and plates to applicants for an unlimited period of time. You may know more, but is there an annual charge for renewing the licence?

What should have happened is that the licences should have been issued yearly, with an annual application and standard fee. Therefore, the regulator/government could have said, "From 1 Jan 2009 we will cease to issue/renew taxi licences to private citizens/sole traders" and within 12 months that would have been it - no-one, irrespective of how many years they were in the game, would have a licence. Then we'll start again and do it properly.

Also, I'm a little confused re the ownership issue. Are you saying that taxi-drivers made an offer to the government that they could purchase the licences/plates at €6,000 per licence from the current holders?

juvenal wrote: »
    The government effed-up by issuing licences and plates to applicants for an unlimited period of time. You may know more, but is there an annual charge for renewing the licence?

What should have happened is that the licences should have been issued yearly, with an annual application and standard fee. Therefore, the regulator/government could have said, "From 1 Jan 2009 we will cease to issue/renew taxi licences to private citizens/sole traders" and within 12 months that would have been it - no-one, irrespective of how many years they were in the game, would have a licence. Then we'll start again and do it properly.

Also, I'm a little confused re the ownership issue. Are you saying that taxi-drivers made an offer to the government that they could purchase the licences/plates at €6,000 per licence from the current holders?

There is a charge of €184 per year for the NCT test ( assuming it passes 1st time ) and the replacement of the round stickers on the front and rear screens.

The idea was put to the TR in communications during one of the "infamous" consultation papers that the TR earned a reputation for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I am not sure about this one. The old system was a joke before deregulation. Next to impossible to get a taxi in Dublin. There was about 2,000 of them which was far to low for a city of this size and lets face it the guys had a monopoly.

Maybe capping it at 10,000 would help the older guys out. But one thing that should be done is to get rid of any bloody foreigner's who cannot speak English or navigate the streets. That should help ease things for the older guys also. I got in a taxi on the quays a couple of months ago and told the driver Blanchardstown S.C. which is practically a straight run up the Navan Road.

He did not have a notion where Blanchardstown even was and I had to direct him to hole way there and then had to pay for it ! What is right about that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

High&Low wrote: »
    I have zero sympathy for taxi drivers - I remember pre 2000 and walking 6 miles home from town as there were no taxis.

In addition as a cyclist and motorists I find taxi drivers to be the most ignorant users of the road and really think it is about time that they are no longer permitted to use bus lanes

Fine by me, that'll be 44 euro from O'Connell street to the airport in evening peak traffic so. Have you not understood yet that taxi's are allowed to use bus lanes because it's form of public transport and it's better value for the passenger :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement