Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I know what i'd do with the little scrot in the car, some right a$$holes about. I'd have given them the finger to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

tang1 wrote: »
    I know what i'd do with the little scrot in the car, some right a$$holes about. I'd have given them the finger to.

Ya but I felt kind of vulnerable so I think next time I'll be keeping my fingers to myself!

Yay I've got my linkies and smilies back!

Saturday:

A.M: 2m rec @ 10:30

Legs were knackered after the 50k cycling yesterday. No major tightness though so happy enough. In animal news ..... the baby peregrine falcons are learning how to fly and the cows have started calving. They woke me up at 6 am today they were making such a racket in the field outside my window. The cows are black Aberdeen Angus' and the bull they were with last year was a Belted Galloway which is black with a big white belt around it. So the calves are a cross and I think some of the mothers were a bit surprised when this little black and white thing popped out.

P.M: Ballyhoura trails ~30k in 3 hours

Met up with Mike and Sean for this in the evening. We did the 3 training loops while we were waiting for Warren. He said he got lost but I think he just got cold feet about meeting up with three random punters up the mountains. Then we headed up the brown loop. I found the mountain biking quite difficult this evening mostly because it was wet and the ground was slippy but also I think I was a bit tired because I was up at half four to work horses this morning. I found it hard to concentrate and my balance was crap. Fell over a few times and then on one of the descents near the end I hit a rock or something and my feet flew off the pedals. I lost control of the bike and then I hit a big tree stump and got buried. Managed to avoid two heaps of rocks and land in the heather. Luckily Sean was behind me to witness my spectacular flying descent or all I'd have to show for it was a banjaxed wheel and two bruised knees. Made it back to the car but my bike suffered a grievous injury to it's front wheel :(

b3v493_th.jpg

Sunday: Beast team bonding session

Up at half four and out to Killaloe for an intensive day of biking and kayaking. As well as feeding us at midnight, putting up with our dirty bikes and clothes and giving us somewhere to sleep Mike's lovely wife was also kind enough to lend me her mountain bike.

1st section: ~33k
    Bike to the summit of Moylussa, the highest point in Clare. We ditched our bikes and hiked up the last bit. Found the boulder we were looking for and the from our vantage point we could see the summit of the next mountain another 30k away. It was a bit overcast so the picture isn't great but the view was fab. Then we whizzed down the fireroad and on to our next peak

wvv4i1_th.jpg

2nd section: ~ 30k

We headed across the bridge from Killaloe to Ballina in search of 'The graves of the Leinster Men' The ascent up Tountinna was painfully steep in places and I got off my bike and walked several times usually when my quads were sore. Then I walked until my calves were sore. Then back on my bike again. The view was incredible at the top and so expansive that it was impossible to capture it in one image with my phone.

x4r6dk_th.jpg

The graves turned out to be further down near the road so we didn't have time to get to them because we had to be back for our kayak lesson. We bumped into PaulieYifter on the way down. He was nearly up at the top and looked like he'd barely broken into a sweat! I got a puncture on the way down which Sean kindly sorted for me in 4 minutes. Legs were feeling it at this stage after 5 hours biking.

Section 3:

2hr kayak lesson. Very useful and we picked up some great tips. Keep hands relaxed, right hand rotates the paddle, spread your hands out wide on the paddle, rotate your core instead of using your arms to paddle, don't drag the paddle back behind the level of your hips, paddle at a steady pace and let the boat float.

That's over 20 training hours done this week. Body feels good but tired. The dream is alive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The dream is alive :D

Fantastic. You deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Superwoman !!! I was getting tired reading all you done :D great to see you back running pain free too, fingers crossed for ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super going:) Did you get your smileys back for good behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Heading up the trail on a Sunday morning I didn't expect to bump in to anybody never mind 2 people I know! You were all looking in great spirits. Just catching up on your log here and I didn't realise you've been injured otherwise I would have expressed all sorts of sympathy and well wishes.

Fantastic 360 degree views from the top of Tountinna. I found the Graves of the Leinstermen and I headed up and over the Laghtea Hill with the Millennium Cross. I'd had enough of hills at that stage so I ran back to Killaloe on the road.

Good luck with the rest of the training - I'd say you're feeling pretty tired today after that yesterday!

Monday:

Rest. Dropped my bike into the shop in Birr for some much needed TLC then decided I may as well go to amphibianking in Oranmore for some trail shoes since there was no exercise to be done :)

Tuesday:

A.M 30 minutes core stuff. I was going to try a 30 minute recovery jog this morning but I was afraid when my legs were a bit tired I'd be chancing it too much and there's not much to be gained from it anyway.

P.M Went to the pool after work. Swam 500m and did some exercises. My legs feel fantastic now. Delighted with my recovery. My mind is in overdrive with Beast preparations. It's all I think about. It's all I talk about. Even random strangers that I meet in the pool get to hear my Beast story. So excited :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

So what trail shoes did you get in the end?

• Advertisement

So what trail shoes did you get in the end?
    Nothing too adventurous :p I went with the Asics trabuco because I need a small bit of support and they were the best when I did the gait analysis and I like Asics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Nothing too adventurous :p I went with the Asics trabuco because I need a small bit of support and they were the best when I did the gait analysis and I like Asics :)

At 9.9 oz they're light enough too!

Wednesday:

Rest. Had planned to go for a swim but I forgot to bring my gear with me and apparently displays of public nudity are frowned upon in the pool.

Thursday:

a.m:
    'Running with horses' ...... We were moving horses from one field to another. Things did not go according to plan resulting in 10 horses galloping off down the road into the mist. It was around 6am and thank god and every other deity that there was no traffic on the roads. I caught one about a mile down the road but the other b******* decided they were having too much fun and took off again. The one I had stayed quiet though and because she's the boss they came back to her after a few minutes. I ran back up the road with her then and the others followed her back to the field.

p.m: 30 min core. Went to the pool after work and did 1000m. Usually I cheat and do 25m front crawl (difficult) and 25m backstroke (easy) but today I did 750m fc (with breaks) and 250m bs (without breaks). Happy out with this because it's the most I've ever swum in one hour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I caught one about a mile down the road...

Nice running!

As for the swimming, I know how you feel. I doubt if I'll ever master it but it feels good to be making even a little progress (you've made a lot more than I have!).

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice running!

As for the swimming, I know how you feel. I doubt if I'll ever master it but it feels good to be making even a little progress (you've made a lot more than I have!).

Thanks but she had stopped to consider her options .... was it worth continuing on the road less travelled ..... would the grass indeed be greener ....

Regarding the swimming, as a lady in the pool said to me yesterday, once you're going in a forward direction it's all good :)

Friday:

My RHR was a bit high (50) and I didn't feel like swimming so I took another rest day. I was busy planning and making lists for the Beast ..... things for my backpack, things for transition box, things I have to get, things I have to do, things I have to make, things I have to take...... Yesterday I was obsessing about gear, today it was food :D

Saturday:

3m @ 9:22

9:22 is my new default easy pace. I don't even have to look at my watch. Legs felt pretty good. No pain but not entirely comfortable either. I wouldn't have wanted to try going much further than 3 miles anyway. Might go for a swim this afternoon depending on how I feel. Was up at half four and I didn't sleep that well so I might just sleep for the day too....like a big cat......

th?id=HN.608014339649635444&pid=15.1&P=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Career move, are you by any chance a supermodel. I may be mistaken but I think I spotted someone matching your description in a glossy magazine.
    And looking very well too.

snailsong wrote: »
    Career move, are you by any chance a supermodel. I may be mistaken but I think I spotted someone matching your description in a glossy magazine.
    And looking very well too.
    Aw snailsong ..... flattery will get you everywhere!

No that wasn't me. Apart from the fact that I would have to lose 3 stone and gain 3 inches and a set of boobs, I am, I suspect the least fashionable person you will ever meet :D

Saturday p.m:

600m swim alternating front crawl and back stroke. Didn't enjoy this much because it was so warm and there was way too many kids in the pool.

Sunday:

4m @ 8:56

Legs felt much looser today. Possibly because I stretched before I ran. Was going to swim but I decided I needed another cat nap

Monday:

3m progression: 8:40, 8:30, 7:43

Was going to do 4m easy but I wasn't minding the pace. I knew it was faster than it should be because of the way I was breathing but my legs felt really good. I got a present of some 2xu elite compression tights that I was trying out because I want to wear them for the Beast and they were very comfortable. Finished off with 1m @ 10:30 to help recovery.

Tuesday:

Felt like crap today. No energy at all and all my muscles were sore. I was standing for 3 hours in work and my back was killing me after. I hope it's just the weather and that I'm not coming down with some bloody virus. I had Mireya all set for a trip to Galway next week but she's coughing like a 20 a day smoker this morning so I've had it up to here with viruses :mad: Dragged myself to the pool after work. Literally. It took all my willpower to drive to the gym so I was just about able to manage 20 very slow lengths of the pool before I gave in and headed home. I'll have a complete rest day tomorrow anyway because I'm going to the sports clinic for my MRI. It'll be 20 days since I was last there and in that time I have done nearly 32 hours of training (14.5 hours of biking, 10.5 hours of swimming/aqua jogging, 3 hours of core, 2 hours of kayaking and 1.5 hours of pain free running). I have been told I have glute tears, quad tears, hip bursitis, medial glute tendinopathy, back spasms and various stress fractures so I'm looking forward to a definitive diagnosis so I can stop wondering and worrying about it!

Best of luck tomorrow, re the no energy this weather is oppressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck tomorrow. Hope it's all good news.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. Hope it's all good news.

+1 to that, hope its nothing but good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

+1 to that, hope its nothing but good news.

+2 Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Best of luck tomorrow, hopefully good news. Oh and have a good trip to Galway next week. Hope your gang have a successful week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I have been told I have glute tears, quad tears, hip bursitis, medial glute tendinopathy, back spasms and various stress fractures so I'm looking forward to a definitive diagnosis so I can stop wondering and worrying about it!

It's just as well you're not a hypochondriac, or you'd never leave the house. :)
    Best of luck today cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

fingers crossed for you CM today :)

Thanks guys. If I ever need a support team I know where to look :D

@ martyboy: have no runners for Galway unfortunately between coughs, muscle strains and a lack of rain it just wasn't happening

Wednesday:

4m @ 8:56

I know I wasn't going to run but when I woke I really wanted to. No problems although my right hip took a few miles to loosen out. Good news from the MRI. No stress fracture. There was inflammation around the gluteal tendon (mild gluteal tendinopathy). Severe cases need surgery, moderate cases get injected with steroids and mild cases like mine is now are just about management. I was given the option to see a physio while I was there and I thought it would be best because they diagnose this a lot in the SSC and I figured their own physios would know how best to deal with it. So I saw David and he said my long hip flexors on both sides and the short hip flexor on the left are way too tight. But it's easily fixed and he gave me exercises to do and showed me how to do them properly and then videoed me doing them so I have a reference for when I'm doing them at home. I need to buy a sliotar too to roll out the trigger points in my left glute. I like David. He's from Limerick and he can do stuff with his hips that well has to be seen to be appreciated.

MOST IMPORTANTLY........I'm all good to do the Beast :D:D:D

I need to make sure my bike saddle is high enough that I have about a 25% bend in my knee when fully extended.

The news we were all waiting for! Fantastic - delighted for you!

Great stuff, delighted. Tell me more about David???? Oh pity you won't be in Galway they give out free sliotars to visitors!

Great stuff, delighted you'll get to do the Beast. You have worked hard to get there.

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Great stuff, delighted. Tell me more about David???? Oh pity you won't be in Galway they give out free sliotars to visitors!
    As it happens I will be in Galway tomorrow!!

David is eye candy. Nom Nom :D My only criticism he's a bit too tall but you know we could work round that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Delighted you got good news today CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Great news K.
    videoed me doing them

he can do stuff with his hips that well has to be seen to be appreciated.
    QUOTE]

I think it speaks for itself really:pac::pac:

As it happens I will be in Galway tomorrow!!

David is eye candy. Nom Nom :D My only criticism he's a bit too tall but you know we could work round that :D

If he has it in the hips the height won't matter! Try an strike up a conversation with some auld fella s in Galway and see if they give you a free sliotar. Maybe it's only Mayo people cause they feel sorry for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

This thread has gone to the dogs. Happy you enjoyed your erm, scan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

As she'd say herself, Jesus, get a room :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ha ha is this why you were pestering me about sliotars?! :)

I'll arrange something for you.

AKW wrote: »
    Ha ha is this why you were pestering me about sliotars?! :)

I'll arrange something for you.

I was not pestering you .....I was giving you some sage retail advice ;)

How did the 5k go?

• Advertisement

How did the 5k go?

22:18 :D

Good stuff, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Surprised David didn't have a few sliotars to hand since he is a hurler! If it's the same David ,he made an appearance on Thank GAA it's Friday tonight on RTE.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Surprised David didn't have a few sliotars to hand since he is a hurler! If it's the same David ,he made an appearance on Thank GAA it's Friday tonight on RTE.

QUICK - RTE Player!

Thursday:

Got my bike back from the shop. They had to reconstruct the front wheel :D Drove on to Oranmore to get my trail shoes from amphibianking. They had to order in my size in the Asics Trabuco. I didn't like them when I tried them on though. The plastic bit near the bottom of the laces was catching my left foot. Got a pair of Mizuno Wave Ascend instead that felt very comfortable as soon as I put them on. I wore the Mizuno Wave Inspire for DCM 12' and I think the Ascend are a pretty similar structured shoe *Note to AKW your track fairy assistant ties the laces very tight ..... I thought he was trying to cut off the circulation to my toes at one stage* Also got a pair of Brooks T7 Racers. They are lovely. Really bouncy and light. This years Jingle Bells shoes ;) Went for a swim after. 500m 30 min I can do 100m without stopping now = progress! Thankfully only 3 of the team (i.e the lads) have to do the swim section in the Beast.

Friday:

Donadea 5k 22:18 (forgot to stop watch)

I love forests and mountains. They're such peaceful places. Brought my cousin with me. She's done a couple of marathons but she doesn't really run that much. This was her first 5k. There was nearly a mutiny when we got there because she didn't want to do a warm up. I haven't done any speed work since April so I really wanted to get a few strides in. I really needed them. My legs were very rusty accelerating. My cousin was leaving me for dead!

The goals for this race were 1) Do not get injured 2) Try out my trail shoes and make sure they're comfy 3) Pace it properly so that I'm not dying at the finish 4) Beat my worst 5k time 23:29

Started off a good way back because even though I knew there would be traffic jams especially going through the narrow timing strip I wanted to pace it so that I was passing people the whole way. I thought the paths might be a bit narrow and add to the congestion but there was actually loads of room once people settled down. My lace opened after about 300m. I knew it wouldn't open anymore because of the way it was laced so I didn't bother stopping. It was kind of annoying slapping against my lower leg though. I settled into a nice rhythm from the start. Mile 1 7:11 I was only allowing myself to look at my watch when it beeped for the mile splits and this worked well. I was passing a good few people who had gone out too fast right from the start and I was really enjoying myself. Mile 2 7:24 This had a couple of short steep inclines and I felt I was working a bit here. I tried to keep the effort consistent so anytime I felt my breathing a bit too laboured I dialled back the pace a bit. Lost 3 positions on the hills one of whom was a guy in an orange top who kept about 15m ahead of me for the next mile. There was a few downhills in this mile and I felt I was able to increase the pace slightly on them. Passed a couple of people and was happy enough when I saw the watch beep at 7:10 I was feeling a bit tired and I had to keep focused because there was no one really around to pass. Managed to pick it up for the last 100m to the line I'd guess 6:40ish pace. Very glad to stop and I maybe didn't look the best because one of the marshals at the finish asked if I was ok in a very concerned kind of a tone. I lay on the grass and poured nearly a full bottle of water over my head. That was the first time I appreciated how warm it was. Seriously you could have fried an egg on my head there was that much heat coming off it. Great race and a fine spread after as well. Really enjoyed it and so did my cousin who finished in about 27 min.

You really are a runner, never mind that multi-sport long distance stuff!! Great to see you racing and no ill effects from it. Long may it continue for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

[Very glad to stop and I maybe didn't look the best because one of the marshals at the finish asked if I was ok in a very concerned kind of a tone.
    i Remember u cm...u were Just in after trr..

Glad it's all falling into place for you, well done! I don't know how anyone could race yesterday it was soooo hot!

ultraman1 wrote: »
    i Remember u cm...u were Just in after trr..

....always good to be remembered.....trr must have stopped for a picnic on the way round :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to hear you are ok for the beast c_m. Good racing in the 5 too. You'll always have an underscore to me! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So, are you tempted to go back and repeat 10 times on a Saturday in the middle of February??

• Advertisement
Advertisement