Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Detroit ain't giving up Monroe. No way.

Could be J Smoove. I hope not though.

Most likely J Smoove, they've been sending out feelers to see if there's interest in him according to si.com

Kirilenko turns the knife on Kidd:
    Nets forward Andrei Kirilenko had some harsh words for former Nets coach Jason Kidd when he said in a report from a Russian media outlet that Kidd either couldn't handle the pressure in New York or didn't want it.

The 41-year-old, 10-time All-Star point guard led Brooklyn to the Eastern Conference semifinals vs. Miami in his first year as head coach. Miami won that series 4-1. Shortly after the end of the season, he left the Nets in rather controversial fashion after he had interviewed for the Bucks' head coaching job even though Larry Drew was already been in the spot. Without reportedly informing his team, Kidd left for Milwaukee, Drew was let go and Brooklyn ended up hiring Lionel Hollins to replace Kidd.

The 33-year-old Kirilenko, an All-Star in 2004, said of New York that "the pressure is huge" and perhaps Kidd simply couldn't deal with it, according to the report:

"And Kidd couldn’t handle it. Or maybe didn’t want to ... Basically he was not able to do much of anything, if you look at the big picture – we have to admit that fact."

From si.com, I suspect there's a lot more of that. Pierce bolted as soon as he could despite KG staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri has been banned from Boards entirely it appears. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that he will be a huge loss to the basketball forum (among others).

Hopefully he will return under another guise soon. If not and you're reading this Nuri, all the best mate.

Paully D wrote: »
    Nuri has been banned from Boards entirely it appears. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that he will be a huge loss to the basketball forum (among others).

Hopefully he will return under another guise soon. If not and you're reading this Nuri, all the best mate.

WTF? What did he do?

Ade - fight the power bro!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paully D wrote: »

The senior mods won't allow him back for a very very long time I'd imagine. I don't frequent the soccer forum too often but I gather he's messed up big time for that action to be taken.

His departure leaves a void alright but I'm sure the forum will be fine. Let's not discuss banned users any further.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Evan Turner close to completing signing with The Boston Celtics

Evan Turner close to completing signing with The Boston Celtics

A guy whose stock has dwindled big time in recent years. :( if he can get back to his 17ppg then maybe but I have a feeling Boston are taking him to move him on in a trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

He'll put up numbers on a bad team like the Celtics, but by God, his defense is awful. His feet movement is so slow.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

http://deadspin.com/boston-celtics-sign-evan-turner-because-not-enough-peo-1608610277
    Boston Celtics Sign Evan Turner, Because Not Enough People Hated Them

After a season in which their bottomed-out squad of plucky nobodies occasionally showed admirable spunk under first-year coach Brad Stevens, the Boston Celtics evidently decided they'd had enough of this not-being-hated-by-literally-everyone crap, and went out and signed ball-pounding avatar of hopelessness Evan Turner, whose game is basketball's version of a wet fart.

If the phrase "Evan Turner, Boston Celtic" doesn't make you want to puke and cry and raze the Northeast of all life, you're probably Danny Ainge. The rest of us will be over here retching into our cupped elbows.

Here is Evan Turner's wack **** getting spiked into the Earth's molten core by John Wall.

Fun fact: His fistfight with Lance Stephenson before Game 1 of their first-round playoffs series back in the spring was the most unlikable moment in NBA history.

if he started the celtics would have 20 mil committed to backing him up next year :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 1DRose

Doug McDermott and Snell both made the Summer League All 1st team. Both add some scoring depth for the Bulls bench next season. Bairstow also signed to a contract.

Roster taking shape:

PG: Rose, Hinrich, Brooks
    SG: Butler, Snell
    PF: Dunleavy, McDermott
    PF: Gasol, Mirotic
    C: Noah, Gibson, Bairstow

With LeBrons departure weakening the Heat and IMO the Cavs still not being good enough to win (that's another issue but I am skeptical of how well LeBron and Kyrie will play together) there's a great chance for the Bulls this year. It doesn't ENTIRELY depend on Rose, but if he gets anything even close to his MYP form back then they could be a great shout.

99 days! :pac:

Has anyone here had league pass before? I'm looking to buy it this year but want to have my facts straight about what exactly I get for my money. And how much is it typically? The current price is for summer league and the basketball world cup only as it's part of the 2013-14 season.

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone here had league pass before? I'm looking to buy it this year but want to have my facts straight about what exactly I get for my money. And how much is it typically? The current price is for summer league and the basketball world cup only as it's part of the 2013-14 season.

Thanks in advance!

I bought it last season. I paid the 14 Euro package which gave me access to every game (incl playoffs and finals) with home commentary only.

I used it a lot. If watching live then Game Breaks can be boring as they fill in with the same ads,

When replaying games then it is fine as they skip through the timeouts and halftime etc.

I was using it on Xbox, phone, tablet and laptop. It was solid on laptop and Xbox, less so on tablet, and very flaky on the phone. I'd only watch highlights on the phone. I'd say I was able to access the game about 30% of the time I tried on my mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Thanks in advance!

Last season, you could get League Pass standard (all games (home commentary only), Playoffs and I think All-Star weekend) or League Pass Premium (all games (both commentary), All-Star weekend, NBA TV, on-demand/historic games). Think Standard was €120-€140 on a once off or €10/€15 a month. Premium was around €20 a month or €160-€180 on a once off. I got LP Premium last season and found it great value for that price (make sure to buy it at the start of the season to get the real value for it). Always something on NBA TV (they got TNT's Inside the NBA last season) and they are meant to be adding more historical games for this season.

Ade wanted me to post this:
    So, yeah. I just wanted to say thanks. Thanks to the likes of Butters, Buyer, Nerd, stuba, madcon, Pizzaman, Paully, For Fook Sake, moneyman, Carherdon (sorry, spelling!) and Dare2Defy. A few whom I've got to know a bit more outside of this place and are genuinely sound chaps who hopefully one day when back in Ireland I can share some a pint or two with. Basically anyone who I regularly communicated with in this forum, be it enjoying a laugh and or perhaps me actually learning something I appreciated that. You probably helped me in some way make money, sure, or at least get a better understanding of your team. If I wasn't the most eloquent or perhaps grammar proven of posters, sorry. Jack of all trades with languages, but not a master of any one I suppose, lol.

Even to Dublin Red Devil who everyone thinks I hate and whom I have butted heads with over the past year or two, he's ok, occasionally amusing and I don't doubt his knowledge on college ball for sure. I think I got on well with everybody in this thread, except for one person who I won't waste my time on, some can guess who, but discussing that isn't for here.

Also, I want to apologise to Mal for acting the d**khead at times, not for my actions per se, I can barely remember most of them in truth, but if I came off aggressive in trying to defend myself. You might not think I'm being sincere with that apology, but I am. Headstrong is what I am, let's just call it that.

I've lurked on Real GM once upon a time ago, and I occasionally post on Insidehoops, albeit not recently, and while this was far and away quieter than those places, it was more enjoyable forums. Helps there's no LeBron, Durant or Kobe-stans (fanboys) here for sure! The majority of people here know the stuff, whether that be on their respective team or in general. You can't say the same for more known forums.

Dragging this on, but again thanks lads for making Boards that bit more bearable. There's a lot more to say, but that would be stuff outside of basketball, and I hope common sense is applied and this post remains without anyone feeling the need to delete my comments.

Take care.
    Ade

Will be a massive loss to the forum:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Thanks in advance!

I've got it the last few years. I think if I was on the same time zone as the games, I'd be content enough with a cheaper streaming service, as you can get pretty HQ streams these days.

The value of it for me though during the season is watching the overnight games the next day. I like being able to skip ads, video reviews and free throws, cuts out all the boring stuff.

For World Cup games this probably doesn't apply, if you're watching them live.

What you get...you get the games live, and you get them to rewatch on demand. They tend to dress it up that there's all this extra stuff, NBA TV etc. but I don't really bother with the extra stuff.

Service is solid enough, I think they could be a bit more innovative, e.g. have a built-in option to skip the timeouts, free-throws etc. instead of me having to do it manually. The NFL condensed-view feature is a good bit better.

I get value out of it though, just for the ability to watch the on-demand games the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ade wanted me to post this:

Will be a massive loss to the forum:(:(:(

Ade ya gobshite getting yourself banned. Won't be the same without you. Never thought I'd say that about someone on a forum but I always enjoyed your posts and humour. Hopefully you'll somehow be back.

Sorry mal, I know I just blatantly ignored your warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Ade has created a separate twitter account for his betting. He has given me the link, anyone who wants it message me and I will check with him if he is ok with you following him.

1DRose wrote: »
    Doug McDermott and Snell both made the Summer League All 1st team. Both add some scoring depth for the Bulls bench next season. Bairstow also signed to a contract.

Wasn't high on McDermott at draft time, but definitely liked what I saw in summer league. Shot the lights out, looked reasonably athletic. Also thought he came across in post-game interviews as very smart. This was one of the pluses from the scouts...high basetkball IQ, crafty scorer. Interested to see can that translate to the court in the NBA. Would be great to have a dead-eye shooter that teams have account for, and which will open up the lane.

Big year for Snell. I always liked his potential. Has to deliver now this year, and become a solid rotation player.

It's almost certainly just agents trying to push the Cavs into giving the Timberwolves what they want, but:

d76b4bb1fd68ddcfe8d3c0aefdaca685.png

It would probably be difficult to get a guarantee from Love that he will re-sign, when LeBron would be waiting in the wings in Cleveland.

• Advertisement

I read a lot of reports that Mirotic sought assurances that he wouldn't be traded prior to buying out his contract with Real Madrid.

K Love said he'd sign full term for Cleveland if LeBron was there. It's Minny playing hardball with us. Right now, it looks like we're signing Wiggins to his rookie contract so basically the other teams (which now includes Chicago, who've suddenly shown interest) have 30 days to make a trade and get it done before we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

do you get all the nba tv stuff with the league pass premium like open court and some of the specials like the 84 draft and DrJ?

ec18 wrote: »
    do you get all the nba tv stuff with the league pass premium like open court and some of the specials like the 84 draft and DrJ?

It's NBA TV international that you get so it's very limited programming wise. Right now, it's just The Starters, Summer League games & NBA Action that are mainly being shown. Specials are shown but some aren't (don't think the 84 draft was shown on it) but the MJ interview was

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Open Court is shown on it alright and fairly sure the 84 draft was shown on it. But as Dare_2_defy said it is fairly limited.

Personally I think it is worth the money. I have it the last two years, paid around 150 Euro. If you do decide to get it, search around the Web for some voucher codes. That's what I did the first year and got 20% off and last year I got an email with discount code vouchers.

You get to watch the games live or repeated in HD quality, with both home and away commentary. Can watch 2 at a time or 4 at a time.. etc. NBA TV is hit and miss but I watch the Starters on it every day and you had Inside the NBA on it aswell during the playoffs every time TNT showed a game and the odd time during the year.

@dougmcd3: A dream come true

BtLH4kLCIAAM_Zu.jpg:large

Good pic.

I would think that any trade for Love would include Noah, and probably Butler/Gibson, as well.

I would think that any trade for Love would include Noah, and probably Butler/Gibson, as well.

Can't see them giving up Noah tbh, he's the heart and soul of that team.

There's as much chance of me playing for the Chicago Bulls as there is of them giving up Noah. He and Rose are the two untouchables. It would be Gibson, Butler, Snell/Mirotic (though '1DRose' has said Mirotic was guaranteed he wouldn't be traded which may be true) and picks.

The Bulls are just being used as a pawn anyway. He'll end up in Cleveland for Wiggins, Bennett and picks. Though I don't think a team should be allowed to trade a rookie for a year but that's another matter.

• Advertisement

On the Love to Chicago proposed trade - would be a hell of a front line if they had Noah, Love and Gasol; but I can't see it happening. Cleveland are the strong favorites in my eyes.

From si.com:

The Cavaliers have sent guard Carrick Felix to Utah for three players with non-guaranteed contracts, a deal to give them more assets to go after Kevin Love.

The Cavs sent Felix a second-round pick in 2015 and $1 million to the Jazz for guard John Lucas and forwards Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy.
    The moves will allow the Cavs to clear $3.3 million in salary cap space.
    Cleveland has been in talks with Minnesota about a blockbuster trade for Love, hoping to team the All-Star forward with LeBron James and Kyrie Irving.

By all accounts the Love to Chicago story originated from Minnesota. They are trying to create an urgency for the Warriors/Cavs to get their act together.

Also, Wiggins has been offered his rookie contract, which if he signs, means he can't be traded for 30 days.

Browsing reddit and this comes up. Some great plays here.

Browsing reddit and this comes up. Some great plays here.

Ah White Chocolate. For me the best pass is actually No. 8, where he fakes the behind the back then uses his other ELBOW (!) to pass the ball to the oncoming player. Genius.

Ah White Chocolate. For me the best pass is actually No. 8, where he fakes the behind the back then uses his other ELBOW (!) to pass the ball to the oncoming player. Genius.

Yeah I needed all the replays to fully figure out what he actually did there!

It's a shame the TWolves are kind of stuck with Rubio in a way. Irving for Love straight up makes much more sense than Wiggins + Bennett.

• Advertisement

Chris Sheridan @sheridanhoops · 1h
    EXCLUSIVE: #Bulls have offered Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott to #Twolves for K.Love, per NBA source.

If Minny agree to the trade (why wouldn't they tbh), Bulls have to be considered favorites

EXCLUSIVE: #Bulls have offered Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott to #Twolves for K.Love, per NBA source.

If Minny agree to the trade (why wouldn't they tbh), Bulls have to be considered favorites

Serious offer alright, esp throwing in McDermott and Mirotic. They still have the 30day thing to negotiate though as McDermott only signed yesterday (or the day before?), but almost all the reports I've read says Mirotic has a no-trade clause so not sure how they make this work. McDermott has looked very good in ore season and he's pretty much a plug for a hole they have so not sure they'd want to give him up.

If I'm Minny, I still ink I want Wiggins and that outs Cleveland in the lead still IMO. Wiggins has the potential biggest upside of all of the players listed so far.

This is what. Minny want though - multiple teams playing off each other and the stakes will just get higher and higher.....

Not sure I believe that report, seems unlike the Bulls to make that kind of offer. They used 2 first-round picks this year to get McDermott. They've been lining up Mirotic for a couple of years, and Chad Ford said he'd be top 5 this year if he went. So that's like 3 first round picks this year, plus Gibson.

Doesn't seem like the Bulls front-office to do this. What I heard from the Melo negotiations was, they didn't want to gut the team to give him the max possible.

So let me get this straight...

Instead of offering their 4th, 5th and 6th best players, the Bulls are offering their 4th best player and two rookies (assuming #6 and #7 on their projected depth chart)...and that is supposed to trump Andrew Wiggins? And this is considered their "all chips on the table" offer?

Let's flip that on its side, if the Bulls offered that Package straight up for Wiggins, Bennett and a 2015 #1 pick, how quickly would the Cavs hang up the phone?

Kareem is working with Big Roy helping him improve his game for the upcoming season
    Might aswell learn from the best aye?
    10551087_10152588600612996_4864006812365270189_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, looking forward to Roy playing well for 2-3 months then stropping about not getting enough touches and shrinking into a 7 foot 2 teddy bear.

Shannon Brown released by the Knicks. He's still only 28 :eek:

Bulls should pick him up as a 3rd choice SG for the vet minimum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

1DRose wrote: »
    Shannon Brown released by the Knicks. He's still only 28 :eek:

Bulls should pick him up as a 3rd choice SG for the vet minimum!

JR, Shump, Hardaway, Ellington mean the knicks have too many shooting guards. Brown is the most imminently expendable of those

Kareem is working with Big Roy helping him improve his game for the upcoming season

Unfortunately he can't give him a heart! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Dunno if that's the best fit.....style wise......Shaq or Ewing would probably be more in the style that Hibbert aspires to be than Kareem...

ec18 wrote: »
    Dunno if that's the best fit.....style wise......Shaq or Ewing would probably be more in the style that Hibbert aspires to be than Kareem...
    Kareem was a master of footwork and balance. He's also been proven to be a good teacher based on his work with Gasol and Bynum. Hopefully Roy learns well and then decides to drop some pounds along the way help him with his mobility.

This news is much better than hearing Roy is sitting at home watching TV and eating pizzas and ice cream all day. I think working with Kareem is probably the best former player he could work with. What does this mean for next season, who knows, but I think this news is good news.

Cavs sign Wiggins to his rookie contract, no trade for 30 days

Kareem was a master of footwork and balance. He's also been proven to be a good teacher based on his work with Gasol and Bynum. Hopefully Roy learns well and then decides to drop some pounds along the way help him with his mobility.

This news is much better than hearing Roy is sitting at home watching TV and eating pizzas and ice cream all day. I think working with Kareem is probably the best former player he could work with. What does this mean for next season, who knows, but I think this news is good news.

Kareem is arguably the greatest center of all time, Can't go wrong. If he can't help Roy, nobody can

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Mavs after signing Jameer Nelson for 2 years $6m.

After the past couple of years of missing out on big free agent signings, they've made some big signings this off season. Albeit no superstar signing but some good solid players that will make them serious contenders in the west in my opinion.

I'm intrigued by Dallas this next season. Interesting collection of players after striking out in the big fish.

mark-cuban-happy.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement