Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

yes it does, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bless me Computrainer for I have sinned,
    Its been 8 months since my last erg.

2014-07-23_small.png

Fun tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Bless me Computrainer for I have sinned,
    Its been 8 months since my last erg.

2014-07-23_small.png

Fun tonight

Ha ha, that's one way to find religion!! :)

Ouchie

Eoin has really gotten into idea of his Daddy racing. he had a bad night (isn't every night) and slept with me in the spare room. This morning he literally pushing me out of bed, super excited shouting "GO GO GO DADDY" as he does when I go running or in a race. "GO GO GO DADDY, JUICE, JUICE JUICE" effectively "get me juice, I'll time ya"

• Advertisement

As long as I have been commuting on a bike whenever I see a person with a puncture or mechanical problem I have always stopped and asked "do you want a tube?" or "do you want a hand?". Normally people mishear me and think I said "do you mind if I stick this pump up your ar$e?"

In 14 years commuting one person took a tube 6 years ago and yesterday when I asked a lady "do you want a tube?" she said "no, I have one, but I don't know what to do with it". 5 minutes later (actually ten as my pump broke) she was on her way and my good deed was done.

Its amazing how distrustful we have all become. Always upsets me when I ask someone if they need help, are lost etc etc and you can see fear in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fair play. I always remember when I got my first bike (nobody tells you they put the s'hittest tyres ever on) chancing a few spins without knowing how to fix a puncture - of course the inevitable happened - thankfully a nice tourer guy saved me the embarrassment of ringing home. Since then I always make a point of stopping and asking people do they need help/an extra tube.

As long as I have been commuting on a bike whenever I see a person with a puncture or mechanical problem I have always stopped and asked "do you want a tube?" or "do you want a hand?". Normally people mishear me and think I said "do you mind if I stick this pump up your ar$e?"

In 14 years commuting one person took a tube 6 years ago and yesterday when I asked a lady "do you want a tube?" she said "no, I have one, but I don't know what to do with it". 5 minutes later (actually ten as my pump broke) she was on her way and my good deed was done.

Its amazing how distrustful we have all become. Always upsets me when I ask someone if they need help, are lost etc etc and you can see fear in their eyes.

Did you forget to take the bike balaclava off again?

AKW wrote: »
    Did you forget to take the bike balaclava off again?

HAHAHAHA I did that once to a friend of Glenda's - rode up to her at speed with a balaclava that only showed your eyes. I was smiling away and winking. Of course it just looked like a perv riding at her winking. She ran away. Had to tell her later it was me and not to be scared of cyclists.

This morning rolling out of the house Eoin, two, told me in great detail and length how I needed to be careful cycling to work and not to get any "ouchies" on my head. I have to admit this freaked me out completely as he has never said anything like this before. I cycled to work much more carefully than usual as it just freaked me out big time.

• Advertisement

A good week last week under the Monkey.

Hit everything.
    Actually went to the swimming pool. Realised how unfit swim wise I was.
    Turbo still works.
    Actually rode my bike outside. Realised how terrible my pedal stroke has gotten.

A good week.

Again this morning I was told not to get an ouchie and that I wasn’t to “roll roll” (crash) and that I was to that the car(go go) instead. I think its related to him watching the Tour de France with me and the crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Again this morning I was told not to get an ouchie and that I wasn’t to “roll roll” (crash) and that I was to that the car(go go) instead. I think its related to him watching the Tour de France with me and the crashes.

You could be on to something there. When I returned on Sunday from my spin Finn asks "Did you crash daddy?"

New style Tuesday run session

"Ouchie ouchie ouch ouch. No speed at all too. Chest in rag order too at the end of the reps"

What was the run session?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    What was the run session?

i'll put money on x* 1 min on 1 min off..:)

mossym wrote: »

That's a C25k workout!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

That's a C25k workout!!

depends what the on is...

Someone looking at strava

I've no top end, and my low end is not great. But I can go at a high percentage of top end for an hour.

low end up and top end up. will be a painful few months

• Advertisement

depends what the on is...

It should still be a factor of threshold pace governed by HR and lactate testing I would expect. So the RPE should be the same for our C25k participant as it is for you :p

It should still be a factor of threshold pace governed by HR and lactate testing I would expect. So the RPE should be the same for our C25k participant as it is for you :p

No. Disagree.

Firstly - why would any one use HR for 1 minute efforts, the HR would not respond until the last 20 seconds or so.

Secondly - if you are doing your 1 on 1 off at LTHR then well, .....

Thirdly...

RPE - Rate Perceived Effort

Runner A has never "trained" their control of Central Governor. They believe the pain they feel is real.

Runner B has "trained" theirs. They don't believe the pain in their legs and chest is real. They have practiced "being somewhere else" while their body runs.

Runner A "goes hard" and rates it a 9/10
    Runner B "goes hard" and rates it a 9/10

Runner A could physically go an awful lot harder
    Runner B not so much.

RPE is the same but was the SS? (SufferScore)

Back in my box.

I get some of my guys to do a very similar set on the bike, and I did it myself previously. I saw it on my programme and knew on the run it would be so much worse.

I get some of my guys to do a very similar set on the bike, and I did it myself previously. I saw it on my programme and knew on the run it would be so much worse.

Result being increased 5/10k speed for the run with tolerance to pain? On the bike are you talking about extra sustained power or more tolerance for surges, attacking?

It's a common workout in Crossfit Endurance for both bike and run, as are tabata intervals :D

Result being increased 5/10k speed for the run with tolerance to pain? On the bike are you talking about extra sustained power or more tolerance for surges, attacking?

I'll let you know how it goes on the run. "Mine is not to reason why, mine is but to do and die."

On the bike its not for surges, that would need to be much harder and shorter, hour of power style for surges to cover breaks etc.

Suffering and sustained power. FTP improvements.

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's a common workout in Crossfit Endurance for both bike and run, as are tabata intervals :D

Not quite. They are HIIT but not tabata, tabata being alot shorter in length and much done harder. And the recovery is typically half the effort. 20sec on, 10 sec off.

I never give tabata as all I can think of is tabatha cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Your a Bollox! All this training talk has me wanting to get back to structured training now too.

I've been reading this log as a kind of negative reinforcement that life is tough and there is just no time to train properly and consistantly. So is this happy training lark going to last? And you know what the next question is going to be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

ray o wrote: »
    Your a Bollox! All this training talk has me wanting to get back to structured training now too.

I've been reading this log as a kind of negative reinforcement that life is tough and there is just no time to train properly and consistantly. So is this happy training lark going to last? And you know what the next question is going to be :)

He has a baby on the way. It won't last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement