Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Krav Maga Clubs in Ireland send money to Israel

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just wondering if Krav Maga Clubs in Ireland send money to Israel and their army ?

If so i definitely wouldn't be supporting them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

mugger wrote: »
    Just wondering if Krav Maga Clubs in Ireland send money to Israel and their army ?

If so i definitely wouldn't be supporting them and anyone that does already you might want to think about what your giving money too

Why would they?

Do Brazilian Jj clubs send money to brazil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Why would they?

Very valid question and quite possible if they pay affiliation fees to a governing body in Israel.

However, something that was pointed out to me and thats worth noting is how its always quoted "the system developed for the military in Israel" like as if that's makes it all the more effective. Well considering something, WHO have the IDF actually fought to make it SO effective???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oki9Sedo!

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Very valid question and quite possible if they pay affiliation fees to a governing body in Israel.

However, something that was pointed out to me and thats worth noting is how its always quoted "the system developed for the military in Israel" like as if that's makes it all the more effective. Well considering something, WHO have the IDF actually fought to make it SO effective???

They don't just kill Palestinian civilians if that's what you're getting at. They've been at war with Lebanon, Egypt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I know this is a discussion board but I'm going to have to outline immediately that this doesnt become a political thread. If anybody knows the answer feel free to provide it. Otherwise take any comments on the conflict to one of the many forums already discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As I said on numerous other threads, this whole "used by the Israeli special forces" is nothing more than a marketing technique. Half of the IDF soldiers you see are skinny 19 year olds and some of them look like beach hippies from 1970s California. If the Israelis want to hurt you they'll shoot you with the Armalites they carry around or drop a Jericho missile on your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

The commercial KM organisations are quite fractured now and only some of them are based in Israel, and I would be very surprised if any of them have any financial ties with the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

I worked in Israel for a few months in 1992 and before I went I heard about some martial art that they invented which was supposed to be effective. Anyway when I got there I enquired about it but no-one knew anything about it even though they would all have done their military service. I ended up doing Taekwondo instead. So all I can say is that Krav Maga was not well known or popular at the time but since then has reached a tipping point and become a lot more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

They don't just kill Palestinian civilians if that's what you're getting at. They've been at war with Lebanon, Egypt etc.

Not at all getting into a political debate here so I don't know WHERE you're coming from here. A lot of the various branches of Krav market it as been VERY effective because its "used" by the IDF and my point was the amount of actual fighting they have done to make KRAV MAGA so effective??? Thank you for the history lesson and yes I am aware that they have been engaged in conflicts with Lebanon and Eygpt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mugger

I don't want to get off topic at all or turn this into anything political,i just wanted to know if KM clubs in Ireland had to send money to Israel.
    because from what i have seen its all based and sold on the idea that it was made by the special forces in Israel and its what they use in Hand to hand combat.
    And i would be very surprised if clubs where using the name,all of the techniques and even having guys over for seminars without having to give some money back.
    As Dave said a lot of other arts and sports would do the same if they want to fall under a certain name or Governing body

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Other MAs originated in Japan, China, Korea, Russia. I doubt that there is a huge amount of money going back to those countries from MAs in Ireland. Maybe there is to a small extent, if people are brought over for gradings or whatever, I don't know. I can't say for sure, but I'd take a guess that this money mostly covers expenses.

I once got talking to an Israeli girl in my travels. If I remember correctly, she told me that she had been a Kapap instructor with the IDF back home. She mentioned bayonets. I had never heard of Kapap, and mentioned Krav Maga to her. Now, this is going back a few years at this stage, but she was surprised that I'd heard of Krav Maga, at all.

From her reaction, I'd take a stab that there's probably as much money going back to Israel from KM as there is to Ireland from selling pints from Kitty O' Grady's in Dusseldorf (if that place exists). Not a lot, I'd guess.

Just because an idea is exported, doesn't mean that it brings money back to the old country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Other MAs originated in Japan, China, Korea, Russia. I doubt that there is a huge amount of money going back to those countries from MAs in Ireland. Maybe there is to a small extent, if people are brought over for gradings or whatever, I don't know. I can't say for sure, but I'd take a guess that this money mostly covers expenses.

Slightly off-topic but I know in Bujikan Ninjutsu, an annual membership fee is paid to the head Japan dojo by each member. You also have to pay for your certificates for each of your gradings.

I don't know about Krav Maga, but it wouldn't surprise me if some places did.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic but I know in Bujikan Ninjutsu, an annual membership fee is paid to the head Japan dojo by each member. You also have to pay for your certificates for each of your gradings.

As has been stated earlier, these affiliation fees are common. Any registered Krav Maga school is going to be paying affiliation fees somewhere. The question is if these affiliation fees go to Israel. Krav Maga Worldwide, for example, is headed up by a guy who lives and works in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As has been stated earlier, these affiliation fees are common. Any registered Krav Maga school is going to be paying affiliation fees somewhere. The question is if these affiliation fees go to Israel. Krav Maga Worldwide, for example, is headed up by a guy who lives and works in California.
    Even if the was an org based out of Israel, the money would be going to whoever heads it, not to the IDF - which was the question.

The links to the military are strenuous at best. But it's in no way endorsed or affiliated with the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oki9Sedo!

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Not at all getting into a political debate here so I don't know WHERE you're coming from here. A lot of the various branches of Krav market it as been VERY effective because its "used" by the IDF and my point was the amount of actual fighting they have done to make KRAV MAGA so effective??? Thank you for the history lesson and yes I am aware that they have been engaged in conflicts with Lebanon and Eygpt :rolleyes:

Fine, smartass.

Given the topic and the current situation in the world, this thread has the potential to go very sour very fast. Therefore it is even more important than usual that you guys try and be civil with each other.

Drop the sarcasm, the rolleyes icons, and the name-calling, or this thread will get closed pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mugger

To be honest i was hoping to get somebody on here who trains or teaches Krav Maga and knows for sure,otherwise everybody is only guessing.i didn't want to start a "i do or don't think its right" topic.i just want the facts not opinions.then after that people can go make their own minds up.
    As said before i know for a fact a lot of Other Arts/sports send money back to the Main heads and i wanted to know for sure if KM was the same,
    And i have to Admit nobody coming on here to defend it or say otherwise,its not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Mellor wrote: »
    Even if the was an org based out of Israel, the money would be going to whoever heads it, not to the IDF - which was the question.

The links to the military are strenuous at best. But it's in no way endorsed or affiliated with the IDF.

A little off topic but relevant to the concept of the thread...

I would have thought the boycott of Israeli products would extend to any goods or services originating in Israel, not necessarily just goods/services that profit the IDF themselves.

As in, the idea is to compromise the economy of the country itself as it's the country that pays the defense forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Peetrik wrote: »
    A little off topic but relevant to the concept of the thread...

I would have thought the boycott of Israeli products would extend to any goods or services originating in Israel, not necessarily just goods/services that profit the IDF themselves.

As in, the idea is to compromise the economy of the country itself as it's the country that pays the defense forces.[/quote

Yeah sure, I get the idea of a total boycott. I was just going by the OPs question of paying to the IDF.

If they a certain KM class was paying affiliation fees to an Israeli association, then by all means boycott. But find out first, if be surprised if any if then were, especially now.

Advertisement