Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to south county dublin-how to get into a school?!

• 23-07-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

We're likely to need to move to Dalkey/Killiney/Glenageary area within the next few weeks, but the issue is our eldest boy is due to start school for the first time in September. There are places available at all the fee paying schools I've contacted but as we've three children, we really can't afford to go down the fee paying route long term, so would rather not start now.

I've phoned a few national schools to see if by some miracle any last minute places might have opened up, but none are answering their phones over the summer, nor give the option to leave messages - which isn't indicative of schools clamouring for pupils in any case!

Does anyone know what our options are? I'm presuming the local authority have to find us a place somewhere, but how do I even go about contacting them? Apologies for dimness, am from the UK where the waiting list system for state schools doesn't exist, so was shocked to discover that places often seem allocated on first come first served basis, and babies are often placed on waiting lists from birth!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"I'm presuming the local authority have to find us a place somewhere", sorry to say that that's not true. Most Irish schools don't have phone messaging and in any case, there would be no-one there to take the messages.You might have a better chance with email -but I wouldn't count on it. You might get someone in the last week of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

All schools have their own enrolment policies. Check and see if they have websites and they might be posted there. One thing all enrolment policies have is places are allocated according to a catchment area. Most schools will not accept pupils without proof of address etc. You need to perhaps sort your accommodation first, then look at schools or reverse it. Find a school with places and the find accommodation within the catchment area.
    Sorry I can't be more help but it's something you need to be aware of. Most school secretaries are back about a week before schools open, which could be end of Aug or all schools have to be back by 1st Sept.

Can I ask how old your child is? That too could have an influence on placement or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Most local national schools come under Catholic patronage, a few come under Church of Ireland. Church schools will tend to prioritise children who can produce baptismal certs. Non religious schools come under Educate together and they tend to be over subscribed. The best known in the area you name would be the Dalkey School Project. With a couple of exceptions local Authorities have no role in primary education. Due to pressure on numbers some primary schools are refusing to take 4 year olds, prioritising 5 year olds instead. As there is not centralised system some people will put the children down for two or three schools so sometimes schools who reported being full in May will have vacancies by 2nd September. In the area you mention Ballybrack schools used to have less demand. I'm not sure if that is the case at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe the catchment area just isn;t working for you!!! could you push it up to dundrum, stillorgan , ballybrack area... maybe rent there for a while until they are in the school and then move down the road a bit to where you want in a few years down the road.
    There might be the whole issues of not being close to friends in the school but i'd say half of dublin is commuting away from their local area to a different school.

I'll probably be murdered for suggesting this, but if you have any religious leanings then maybe have a word with a prospective pastor/vicar/priest/rabbi in the area you are moving too. Usually the local clergy is represented on the board of management so they might provide some guidance!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be honest, you can "have a word" with anyone you like but it isn't going to do any good. Schools nowadays have to follow their enrolment policy to the letter of the law, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

The reason they're not answering phones is because there won't be staff in over summer holidays.some schools still have a teacher or two working,so it's worth it to keep trying.otherwise,get in touch towards the end of July.once you have a house sorted,I think the nearest school is pretty much obliged to take your son.if they have issues with overcrowding,the next nearest one will.if he ends up going in a week or so late because you haven't managed to sort things out over the holidays,then so be it.he'll catch up and make friends quick enough.around my area,most schools are crying out more kids.

The nearest school is not obliged to take the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

http://columbanusns.ie/?page_id=31

Judging from the website they had vacancies in 2012.

Advertisement