Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes in luggage - Bus Éireann

• 22-07-2014 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,

I take the 126 every day, it's always a single Decker. Does anyone know if they allow bikes in the luggage compartment? It's not a foldable. It could be locked to one of the metal bars on the inside to avoid siding around. It would save a 30 minute walk on each side if I could the my bike.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

It's €10 to take a bike in the luggage for anyone in the same boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If the bike folds and can be put in a bag then no problem on any transport at any time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Their bicycle pricing is a joke.

I've put off or not done the odd trip because of it -- just like the OP where a bike would save a lot of time at both ends of the trip.

I can understand having to pay extra if you want to travel at times or on routes where the storage compartment is very busy but most of the time, there's tons of room.

It's things like the bike pricing which makes renting a car for a day or two more attractive than public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hmm wonder when they introduced that? I brought my bike in luggage a number of times a couple of years ago and nobody mentioned an extra charge. That said, I never asked, just took off the wheels, locked them to the frame and put the lot in the luggage compartment...

Seems ridiculous to charge for a bike when some bags carried are rather larger! But then that's bus eireann all over, never ones to consider their customers needs or wants...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hmm wonder when they introduced that? I brought my bike in luggage a number of times a couple of years ago and nobody mentioned an extra charge. That said, I never asked, just took off the wheels, locked them to the frame and put the lot in the luggage compartment...

Seems ridiculous to charge for a bike when some bags carried are rather larger! But then that's bus eireann all over, never ones to consider their customers needs or wants...

• Advertisement

In fairness to the driver he did say that most drivers are sound about it and won't charge. I'm on in early morning and evening so I might just risk it, taking the wheels off like you said would make it fairly compact so I can't see an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Could you not cling film it as a version of putting it in a bag? with the wheels off of course. Pallet wrap should be cheap if you can source it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That could also work.

For the length of the journey and the fact that I do it twice a day cling film is a bit too much effort. If I could get some sort of large canvas bag that I could pop it in, and then fold up when I'm not using it, it would be the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Ive seen people just sling the entire bike into the luggage hold. No locking it to anything, no taking anything off, no cling-film. Travelling away on the 8am bus, back home on the 5.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Morning,

Has anyone done this lately, just wondering how safe an option it is, or if there is any grief from drivers etc.

Plan on cycling from NCD to Athlone on Saturday and getting the bus back up on Sunday. Pints will be had so i dont think cycling back up will be a valid option :)

Cheers.

Advertisement