Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crows in barley

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    this year beats all, they are literally mowing through it... I can't keep them out, scarecrows, deterints, shotgun.. I am out of ideas..

any tips?!

Something I seen online was a hawk kite, anyone use one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

My father hangs up dead cows upside down dangling from a string around the creep feeder when things get bad.
    I dunno how effective it is but it has a certain rustic charm to it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

larthehar wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    this year beats all, they are literally mowing through it... I can't keep them out, scarecrows, deterints, shotgun.. I am out of ideas..

any tips?!

Tie up a few crows if you've managed to fill any with lead, they dont overly like it, have also heard lads say about ripping them up and scattering but i wouldn't be mad on that idea myself.

Have you tried a gas banger?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Hi folks,

any tips?!

We use hawk kites, can be effective, need to be moved around as they get used ti them in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Deranged96 wrote: »
    My father hangs up dead cows upside down dangling from a string around the creep feeder when things get bad.
    How do dead cows keep the crows away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Sam Kade wrote: »

I dunno haha, I presume most intelligent animals (which crows most deff are) have a kind of a warning system that goes off when they see a few if their own kind dead that tells them 'danger get away' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

I hung up the dead crowa and the half alive ones.. keeps em away for a day or so then back again.. was on DD there and I seen bird gard.. these any good?!

I can't use a gas banger as there is a few neighbours around with young kids..

This wil be my last yr growing it I.d say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

... shotgun... any tips?!

Yes. More shotguns!

Seriously, go to the hunting section of boards, under sports.

Ask a few of the lads to volunteer their time. I am sure you will have more than your share of helpers.

Call your own terms - maybe have subsonic rounds like 22lr or require moderators on faster rounds.

If you have deer damaging crops, a few permissions to the lads would more than compensate them.

A few lads could hammer away a few hundred in a week. Birds are smart and will get the message.

Here's a lad literally looking for shooting in the west.

I would be there myself if I was currently home. :(

FISMA wrote: »
    Yes. More shotguns!

Ask a few of the lads to volunteer their time. I am sure you will have more than your share of helpers.

Call your own terms - maybe have subsonic rounds like 22lr or require moderators on faster rounds.

If you have deer damaging crops, a few permissions to the lads would more than compensate them.

A few lads could hammer away a few hundred in a week. Birds are smart and will get the message.

I asked a fella in the local gun club, no interest in crows.. foxes and rabbits that was all he wanted I haven't the time to camp out with the gun up there myself... time consuming job..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

FISMA wrote: »
    Yes. More shotguns!

Rifles aren't much use to crows in barely as its generally impossible to get a shot down into the barely without them first seing you. You need the noise of the shot gun to scare, and the ability to shoot at moving targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zr105 wrote: »
    Rifles aren't much use to crows in barely as its generally impossible to get a shot down into the barely without them first seing you. You need the noise of the shot gun to scare, and the ability to shoot at moving targets.

Yes with rifles you have to remember the fall of shot plus the distance the round will travel if ya miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I asked a fella in the local gun club, no interest in crows.. foxes and rabbits that was all he wanted I haven't the time to camp out with the gun up there myself... time consuming job..

If you stick up a thread in the hunting forum I'm pretty sure you'll get offers from lads willing to travel for some sport on the crows and pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I recommend the Hawk Kite. Got two of them here.
    Mighty job once ya keep moving them.
    The price of them is a bit steep.....
    I'll getta pic for ya when I'm in the field 2mora :))

I hung up the dead crowa and the half alive ones.. keeps em away for a day or so then back again.. was on DD there and I seen bird gard.. these any good?!

Well once your 200 meters away from houses bangers are grand. Kids will get used to them.

micraX wrote: »
    Well once your 200 meters away from houses bangers are grand. Kids will get used to them.
    I had a neighbour who turned off his neighbours banger a few years ago :eek: There was a distance of about 500 meters between the banger an the house and the banger was downhill from the house. The thing is my house was only 100m downhill from the banger and had no trouble with it. The other neighbour said they couldn't sleep at night with it.

I had a neighbour who turned off his neighbours banger a few years ago :eek: There was a distance of about 500 meters between the banger an the house and the banger was downhill from the house. The thing is my house was only 100m downhill from the banger and had no trouble with it. The other neighbour said they couldn't sleep at night with it.
    Yeah we've had them turned off, gas connections cut off and trends on boards.ie complaining. Haha. Not ment to leave them on at night though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Deranged96 wrote: »

I hung one up just Saturday where I feed the pigs. Definitely works on regular crows but I did notice a grey crow at the trough earlier.
    Not pretty looking but works.

Did same last year too.

Hard to explain to kids though :(

_Brian wrote: »
    I hung one up just Saturday where I feed the pigs. Definitely works on regular crows but I did notice a grey crow at the trough earlier.
    Not pretty looking but works.

Did same last year too.

Hard to explain to kids though :(
    We made big hawks a few years ago, hung them on baler twine between 2 big posts in cabbage with a "squealed" underneath. People came in, said it was crulety, then the DSPCA came out, they laughed.

with a "squealed" underneath.

A squealed?!

Thanks for all the replies folks, I.l chance a few hawk kites this eve and see how they go..

A squealed?!

Sorry "squealer" red box connected to a battery that squeals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Napsack sprayer filled with waste oil and spray it around the edge of the standing crop. The smell/taste seems to deter them. This was a very effective tactic a few years back when most oils were of the heavy black oil type, with the frequence of semi synthetic oils I don't think it's as effective and may require a few coating a to keep them at bay. Creosote would be another option but is more expensive than the waste oil.
    And a shotgun on hand too.

We made big hawks a few years ago, hung them on baler twine between 2 big posts in cabbage with a "squealed" underneath. People came in, said it was crulety, then the DSPCA came out, they laughed.
    I'd have told them to leave the same way they came in. Did it keep the crows away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

then ban shooting on your land "fur and feather" notices like that can concentrate their minds re winter hunting season ahead

I'd have told them to leave the same way they came in. Did it keep the crows away?

They stayed for a chat. Haha for a while, wore off like everything else.

I did some more research and the hawks weren't cheap, bought another electronic bird scarer.. holy crap.. if ya see the effect it had.. crows went cracked after 3mins not one in sight!! Time will tell if it works but happy so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

How much andwhere did ya buy, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Pay the kids to walk the field every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

grassland fertilizer in cork have scarer. sounds can be varied in it works well, sound like birds being mauled by hawk,

I did some more research and the hawks weren't cheap, bought another electronic bird scarer.. holy crap.. if ya see the effect it had.. crows went cracked after 3mins not one in sight!! Time will tell if it works but happy so far!

Yeah they are stupid price for what's in them.

Just checked ebay.co.uk the hawk kite is £11.70 free postage in uk but you could use parcel force for around €3-4. Not bad considering they are charging €120 for them in farm shops

• Advertisement

Yeah they are stupid price for what's in them.

Just checked ebay.co.uk the hawk kite is £11.70 free postage in uk but you could use parcel force for around €3-4. Not bad considering they are charging €120 for them in farm shops

Well another concern is that the wind has to be well picked up for the hawk to work too.. like something that will work regardless of conditions!

Advertisement