Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

45 Years Ago We Landed Men on the Moon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

We did f*** all.

JK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Stanlex wrote: »
    We did f*** all.

JK.
    Oh really! Go on, elaborate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

shedweller wrote: »

Don't feed the troll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I can't think of a single politician coming up with something like "We Choose To Go To the Moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard" in today's era.

Great that they got there. Sorry they stopped going there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Calina wrote: »
    I can't think of a single politician coming up with something like "We Choose To Go To the Moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard" in today's era.

Great that they got there. Sorry they stopped going there.

we will be back on the Moon very soon

its closer than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

nokia69 wrote: »
    we will be back on the Moon very soon

its closer than you think

i was under the impression that if we had to go to the moon again we would struggle to get there in a decade? all that knowledge and expertise is lost. mothballed and forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

emo72 wrote: »
    i was under the impression that if we had to go to the moon again we would struggle to get there in a decade? all that knowledge and expertise is lost. mothballed and forgotten.

the knowledge is still there, the US, Russia, China, and Europe could all do it if they wanted

the falcon heavy will launch next year, you could send people to Moon with multiple FH launches, 3 would be enough

but I don't think it will happen that way, SpaceX have started work on a rocket that will make the Saturn V look small, you don't build a rocket that big for com sats or ISS missions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

well the US had the experience but all that staff are long gone. we have been stuck in LEO ever since, only probes getting out into deep space. russia china and europe have never done anything like it before, so theres no way of knowing of they could achieve it.

all im saying is i wouldnt have the faith that it could be done. and it would take a lot longer than people think.

great idea for a thread anyway:pac:

• Advertisement

Well, for what its worth, i was talking to a lad from reaction engines yesterday at farnborough and they are well on their way to making their engine a reality.
    There is still a drive for adventure and understanding. We'll never lose that as a species.
    Their engine will hopefully become a reality and maybe we can see some serious improvement in space exploration.
    The f-35 has cost $400bn so far and its just a killing machine! Imagine how far that money could go on useful technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Weren't many of the Saturn-era blueprints lost? They're all in imperial anyway :pac: and pretty much useless in any case in the CAD era.

The only real question is who is going to pay, and why would they bother. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers." - The Right Stuff

Life ain't always empty.

Weren't many of the Saturn-era blueprints lost? They're all in imperial anyway :pac: and pretty much useless in any case in the CAD era.

The only real question is who is going to pay, and why would they bother. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers." - The Right Stuff

See theres the funny thing about funding. Taxpayers (not us, we just bailout banks nowadays) are already funding the military by orders of magnitude more than space exploration. To say the military is more important than space exploration is frankly bizarre. But people in general are very stupid arent they!
    Thats why i enjoyed my chat with a lad from reaction engines yesterday. They are getting funding and are pushing ahead with this game changing technology. Ok, it wont take us to interstellar destinations but it certainly ups the game here on earth. And more of it i say!

See theres the funny thing about funding. Taxpayers (not us, we just bailout banks nowadays) are already funding the military by orders of magnitude more than space exploration. To say the military is more important than space exploration is frankly bizarre. But people in general are very stupid arent they!
    Thats why i enjoyed my chat with a lad from reaction engines yesterday. They are getting funding and are pushing ahead with this game changing technology. Ok, it wont take us to interstellar destinations but it certainly ups the game here on earth. And more of it i say!

It's HOTOL and Skylon all over again. Don't get your hopes up.

Chemical engines of any type are just more of the same, not a game changer. I'd like to see pre-cooled engines and hybrid air-breather rockets and hypersonic airliners too, but realistically the energy budget is never going to be economic. We can't even make a supersonic business jet (predicted every decade for the last five) pay its way so a hypersonic airliner is just a flight of fantasy. Unfortunately.

Life ain't always empty.

To say the military is more important than space exploration is frankly bizarre. But people in general are very stupid arent they!

You wouldn't be saying that if you lived in Ukraine or Israel or many other places I could mention where there is a real chance bad guys will be shooting at you.

Life ain't always empty.

It's HOTOL and Skylon all over again. Don't get your hopes up.

Chemical engines of any type are just more of the same, not a game changer. I'd like to see pre-cooled engines and hybrid air-breather rockets and hypersonic airliners too, but realistically the energy budget is never going to be economic. We can't even make a supersonic business jet (predicted every decade for the last five) pay its way so a hypersonic airliner is just a flight of fantasy. Unfortunately.
    Its not a hypersonic airliner though. Thats a "if things go well we might make this" kind of thing.
    Skylon is looking to go into orbit. Yes its only LEO but thats better than shooting "insurgents" with ever more accuracy, right? That accuracy must be down to the mm now eh? (While we see more and more countries laid to waste from said accuracy)
    I'm happy with my flights of fantasy. They have a whole lot less killing involved!

You wouldn't be saying that if you lived in Ukraine or Israel or many other places I could mention where there is a real chance bad guys will be shooting at you.
    You're not getting the bigger picture here are you?

40 years ago the shuttle was supposed to provide cheap LEO too, and we saw how that turned out. Commercial loads don't want to go to LEO anyway.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I'd assume he means we as in we here had no part in it

Ah sure lets keep shelling each other with ever more technical weapons then. Lets see how that pans out. Jeez.
    Pessamist much??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

45 years ago I watched that Live, in Redbarn, at a time in the morning I never knew existed, I was 14 years of age, I was excited, I was perplexed, as I was also with my religion, I had my doubts, those doubts have grown over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I was excited, I was perplexed, as I was also with my religion, I had my doubts, those doubts have grown over the years.

Thanks very much for that insight, we're all much wiser now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm very optimistic about the future of space travel now that there are commercial interests operating in that area. Once it becomes feasible to have a decent holiday in space at a not-completely-insane price I'd say the wealthy will take it up in droves which will fund further development. Space tourism could be what ultimately funds things like asteroid mining, and once that starts we'll be in space for good and the moon will look like a short hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/a-reading-list-of-stories-about-the-moon/374708/
    And so, to commemorate the moment—45 years ago this weekend!—that some brave men in a rocket finally landed on the lunar surface, we're revisiting some of our favorite moon stories.

http://www.google.com/moon/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No AFAIK they still have them,

a lot of the suppliers no longer exist and the rigs and moulds would need to be re-made

Also they aren't cheap

Development Cost $: 7,439.600 million. Launch Price $: 431.000 million in 1967 dollars

Later proposal
    LEO Payload: 326,500 kg (719,800 lb) to a 185 km orbit at 28.00 degrees. ... 1985 dollars. Flyaway Unit Cost $: 736.600 million.

In today's money that's about 1.4Bn per launch , which isn't that far off what the shuttle cost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The really sad thing is the lack of interest in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Would a space elevator, if at all feasible, make more sense than travelling on rockets to get into orbit?

Would a space elevator, if at all feasible, make more sense than travelling on rockets to get into orbit?

Yes, but the part in bold is the key bit. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not much use for humans as you'd get slowly cooked in the Van Allen radiation belts

a fast elevator might travel 10m/s

GEO is 10,000 hours away

• Advertisement

not much use for humans as you'd get slowly cooked in the Van Allen radiation belts

a fast elevator might travel 10m/s

GEO is 10,000 hours away

That's a bit pessimistic. You could get humans into LEO in about 10 hours at those speeds and for a much lower cost.

Of course current space elevator designs wouldn't be able to carry humans, but then we're not building one at present.

Advertisement