Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipping back into meat

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Ive been vegetarian/vegan for 2 years now - I float between the two for weeks/months at a time depending on how I feel and the circumstances. However, the past month or so I've found myself increasingly eating bits of meat. 1 month ago for absolutely no reason I decided to get some chicken balls from a Chinese (lol gross I know). Weekend just gone by at a festival I ended up getting a bacon & cheese toastie in my drunken stupor even though there was perfectly delicious vegan food there. About 30 minutes ago I found myself picking at bits of leftover chicken someone cooked! I also realized I'm often daydreaming about various types of meat/meat dishes I'd like to eat.

The worst thing is, I don't really care that much... I normally abstain from meat/dairy for ethical reasons and also health, but for some reason no matter how much I think or read about it I just don't feel bothered by it. I've no idea why either and it's very strange for me because until very recently it was something I was passionate about.

I feel like one day I just need to go on a mad meat binge or something, to get it out of my system or something like that. I really, really don't like feeling like this and I want to go back to the way things way were, and think, feel and care the way I used to!

Can anyone relate? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Can you remember what it was specifically that made you want to give up meat in the first place? Like if it's for ethical reasons and you're eating chicken or bacon is it not going through your head that "I'm eating a dead animal right now, putting it in my mouth and swallowing it"?

The other thing is, what is it that you're eating on a day to day basis? If your diet is very repetitive and/or not very varied I can see how it'd be easy for pure boredom to set in and for meat to seem appealing. Not to mention that if you're not paying proper attention to your diet and nutrition it could be your body actually needing something. Maybe spend the next while trying out new recipes and brands and restaurants, find some new things you really love.

Keep a food diary I'd say. Log how you feel, where you are when you find yourself eating or thinking about meat, see if any patterns emerge and you might get some answers. But I mean there's probably always going to be a certain level of will power involved (personally I don't know, because I'm a gold star vegetarian :cool:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Ive been vegetarian/vegan for 2 years now - I float between the two for weeks/months at a time depending on how I feel and the circumstances. However, the past month or so I've found myself increasingly eating bits of meat. 1 month ago for absolutely no reason I decided to get some chicken balls from a Chinese (lol gross I know). Weekend just gone by at a festival I ended up getting a bacon & cheese toastie in my drunken stupor even though there was perfectly delicious vegan food there. About 30 minutes ago I found myself picking at bits of leftover chicken someone cooked! I also realized I'm often daydreaming about various types of meat/meat dishes I'd like to eat.

The worst thing is, I don't really care that much... I normally abstain from meat/dairy for ethical reasons and also health, but for some reason no matter how much I think or read about it I just don't feel bothered by it. I've no idea why either and it's very strange for me because until very recently it was something I was passionate about.

I feel like one day I just need to go on a mad meat binge or something, to get it out of my system or something like that. I really, really don't like feeling like this and I want to go back to the way things way were, and think, feel and care the way I used to!

Pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Can you remember what it was specifically that made you want to give up meat in the first place? Like if it's for ethical reasons and you're eating chicken or bacon is it not going through your head that "I'm eating a dead animal right now, putting it in my mouth and swallowing it"?

The other thing is, what is it that you're eating on a day to day basis? If your diet is very repetitive and/or not very varied I can see how it'd be easy for pure boredom to set in and for meat to seem appealing. Not to mention that if you're not paying proper attention to your diet and nutrition it could be your body actually needing something. Maybe spend the next while trying out new recipes and brands and restaurants, find some new things you really love.

I started because I stayed in a squat for a week where everyone was vegan so for one week I ate vegan food and felt amazing afterwards. Decided to do it to feel healthy, and after a few weeks, I began reading into it and it become more so to do with my morals & ethics as opposed to health, though that was always still a reason.

I think you're right about not having a lively diet. I've moved back to my mothers house for the summer and am on the dole (the crap one that is, €100). When I had my own house not long ago I had a cabinet full of spices, herbs and other various things that would enable me to easily cook vegan meals but since moving back I just eat what my mother buys, which is pretty bland run-of-the-mill stuff (bless her though), because I'm always moving about the country and can't commit to setting up another kitchen until I have my own house again in September.

And yeah, when I do eat bits of meat I'm fully aware that I'm eating a butchered animal and swallowing it, and this is something that used to really upset me. However, when I do it now I don't really care no matter how much I think of it.

I hope it's just a "phase" that I'll soon grow out of. I am for the most part still wholly vegetarian, apart from these few stints, at least.
    Pregnant?

I'm a fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Just a thought, are you lacking something in your diet that would cause your body to desire meat. The first 2 years are the most difficult when you decide to change diets and while your body adjusts. I would suggest eating more protein for a while. I am 20 years in now and am amazed at the taste and textures you can now get in vegi junk foods like vegi sausages and vegi burgers, and they are readily available and may help you through a rough patch.

My big lapse was 5 years in when I was going through an airport after having a few jars and the smell of the hotdogs got to me and I bought one automatically and ate half of it before I realised what I was doing, it was a bad moment to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd say you're either not eating so well or simply not eating enough. Eat a bigger breakfast/dinner, foods that tend to score higher on the satiety table. Try leave yourself less vulnerable and hungry I guess. I'd imagine it's a lot easier to eat whatever junk food you can get when your hungover/drunk standing outside a kebab shop with the lads at 4 am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I'm no expert but you're not a vegetarian for 2 years once you eat meat... That's like saying I'm sober for 2 years but I had a shot the other week..

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but you're not a vegetarian for 2 years once you eat meat... That's like saying I'm sober for 2 years but I had a shot the other week..

He is trying and that is the important thing to focus on.

It's a bit irrelevant tbh. OP doesn't have anything to prove/nothing to be gained by saying they've been vegetarian for x years. The whole thread afterall is about them eating meat. Could have said I've been trying to/decided to two years ago, but you know what they meant.

If I can add one more thing OP, you seem apathetic towards eating meat now, although you say you want to be vegetarian/vegan. It seems to me that you're expecting to feel a great sense of distaste/horror at the thought of consuming animal products automatically just because you say you're a vegetarian. I'm afraid this is rarely the case. I used to love the taste of cheese, and I'm sure chicken popcorn and burgers and whatever else all taste great. The reality is we're all used to eating these things everyday. I'd say I've developed quite a strong aversion over the last 3 or 4 years to meat, I find it difficult to sit at a table with my family if they're all eating it or watch people eat off the bone, but this certainly wasn't the case a few years before that.

If you really want to give up animal products maybe try starting from scratch, I can't really offer you any advice but there are loads of tips online for newcomers on how to adjust their diet and lifestyle conveniently. Vegan for life by Jack Norris is a great book and living vegan for dummies is okay too, both worth a look.

You'll get lots of support here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Olivia86

I can relate! The last few weeks I have been craving cheese and even chicken. I have been vegan for nearly 2 years & a lactose intolerant vegetarian before that so these cravings really took me by surprise! I actually wondered was I pregnant!!!

I have also been eating pretty boring food & probably not the healthiest stuff as I've been under a lot of stress and haven't had time to cook anything exciting. I also considered if any deficiencies would cause these cravings.

They have slightly abated now as I've completely upped my protein intake, trying to make sure every meal is high protein & lots of umami tastes! Plus I started taking iron supplements & eating iron-rich foods. I also loaded up on junk-food fake meats for the freezer & cheeze should the cravings strike again.

I wonder though when you say that you're not bothered by eating meat, when previously you felt so strongly about it, if its more psychological than physiological?

Some of the extra supplements I take regularly are vit B6, Spirulina and linseed oil. I found all of these made a subtle positive difference when I started taking them so I continue to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

GrayFox208 wrote: »

GrayFox this is not a place to judge ok, OP went into detail about his eating habits and was very honest so you know full well what he meant.

Is this something you crave only when you're really hungry turnikett? Like sometimes when I'm staving I'd think oh I'd love a big 4 cheese pizza :P But it's just that I'm hungry and craving something tasty, I've never caved and actually gone and bought something like that. I find I'm satisfied just to eat anything and be full. Meat I would never crave, I guess coz it's more obviously an animal and it's a lot easier to make the connection. And it's not that I find it repulsive in the way some people do just from seeing it or smelling it or something, I don't look at meat and go eww gross, I just feel more like sad, can't help think about the animal and what it had to go through just for the sake of a nice taste for a few mins of your day. Having said that I'll eat around meat-eaters no problem, it's not like I'm squeamish. I think when you start making exceptions, it's a slippery slope, so I just don't go there, it would be on my mind that I am paying to support something I don't agree with. If it was something that was free or being thrown out, the temptation is stronger, but it makes me feel better to just throw it out and it's just easier on my mind because I know I'd regret it. It sounds like you're around more meat-eaters though, that's probably a big part of it, if you're around your family cooking stuff etc, and if they know you can take or leave meat that's only making it harder again on yourself. I find it's very important to have control over what you eat, so for me that means being able to buy my own food, not living with meat-eaters, letting people know clearly what I don't eat.

I can't exactly relate though to be honest :o I've gotten to love cooking for myself again and I'm usually day-dreaming about vegan stuff to make :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I made a really bad attempt at being vegetarian a number of years ago. Although I didn't specifically eat meat I bought chips and didn't pay much attention to the fact they were being fried in the same oil as chicken and fish. I still refused to eat meat though until I started constantly thinking about it and even started dreaming about it. One night I just gave in and bought a snack box. I planned on just 'getting it out of my system' but it didn't work and I thought about all the other meat I would like.

After a couple of years I started to feel bad about it. Around the time of the mad cow disease epidemic I felt more and more uneasy about eating meat. Not because I was afraid of getting the disease, but because of all the news reports with hundreds of cows being dumped into massive piles and burned. I thought it looked barbaric. I thought that instead of worrying about how to stop this disease maybe humans should consider it a sign that we weren't meant to eat meat.

Around the same time a few other things happened. For instance when I bought another snack box I saw that the chicken was badly bruised and had blood on it. It reminded me that it was once a living creature that was treated so badly it ended up with bruises all over its body before it was slaughtered.

It still took me a while to give up meat. I eventually stopped eating it after I started going to the river to look at the swans and ducks. It just didn't feel right to then go home and eat chicken. That was back in 2007 and I've made a better attempt at not eating or using animal products this time.

Occasionally I would really love a snack box but after I think about all the chicken I've gotten over the years that is covered in bruises or has spots of blood it just turns me off, as does the images of piles of burning cows turn me off beef. I also take walks and go past farms where there are cows and sheep. After looking at cows looking contented eating grass or lambs jumping around a field playing together the idea of eating them just seems horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

After seeing food matters, forks over knives etc. I've become vegetarian Mon to Fri and eat meat at the weekend. Mostly for health reasons but also of slight concerns for the environment and animal cruelty etc. I'd love to go organic but it's too expensive!
    I have to say I'm really enjoying it. During the week I'm forced to seek out top quality ingredients, unprecedented variety etc in order to get enough flavours to satisfy myself.
    I ain't giving up meat tho, I'm just separating it out into the weekend where it is associated with letting my hair down and enjoying myself. I just couldn't give it up, I have no desire to struggle with my conscience over sthg like that.
    But I've cut it down from 7 days a week to 2 so I've made a serious impact on my carbon footprint, my health and sent a message to the corporates that today's 24/7 meatfest isn't everyone's cup of tea. I can't change the world and I can't change my world too much either.
    If you want to eat some meat just go ahead and keep it to a minimum like I do. It's delicious and it doesn't mean that vegetables won't dominate your diet. If it's only rarely buy organic chickens that have been treated well even if they cost 18.55 a bird (ouch)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Even a small step is a positive step. I wouldn't judge anyones choice about what they consume as there are far worse crimes going on.

Have the odd steak if you need it to continue to be a happy vegetarian. I understand the irony.

I can't agree with the above two posts.

Accidently buying something with meat in it or crashing a few times when you start out is understandable but having the 'odd steak' is ridiculous. The one and only thing you have to do be a vegetarian is not eat meat like. You're not sending any message to farms or the meat 'industry' or anything you're just exercising your wilful ignorance and kidding yourself (paying €18 for a chicken doesn't make it any less dead), probably making it even more difficult for you to come off meat altogether, setting a bad example for others who might have considered becoming veg down the line and giving the impression that vegetarians lack integrity.

We could sit here all day and talk about how unjust the farming and exploitation of animals is but we have to walk the walk at least.

I understand we have to make it convenient for newcomers, but eat meat and tell people you're a vegetarian isn't striking the balance. It's exactly why we have people who think they're doing their bit cause they eat meat on a Saturday instead of a Wednesday etc. Meat industry are actually loving the welfare thing as well (they make more profit if you pay €18 for your chicken dinner than if you pay €4).

I get where you're coming from, every step is a positive one, but not eating meat is the smallest possible step we can encourage people to take.

fewtins wrote: »
    I can't agree with the above two posts.

Accidently buying something with meat in it or crashing a few times when you start out is understandable but having the 'odd steak' is ridiculous. The one and only thing you have to do be a vegetarian is not eat meat like. You're not sending any message to farms or the meat 'industry' or anything you're just exercising your wilful ignorance and kidding yourself (paying €18 for a chicken doesn't make it any less dead), probably making it even more difficult for you to come off meat altogether, setting a bad example for others who might have considered becoming veg down the line and giving the impression that vegetarians lack integrity.

We could sit here all day and talk about how unjust the farming and exploitation of animals is but we have to walk the walk at least.

I understand we have to make it convenient for newcomers, but eat meat and tell people you're a vegetarian isn't striking the balance. It's exactly why we have people who think they're doing their bit cause they eat meat on a Saturday instead of a Wednesday etc. Meat industry are actually loving the welfare thing as well (they make more profit if you pay €18 for your chicken dinner than if you pay €4).

I get where you're coming from, every step is a positive one, but not eating meat is the smallest possible step we can encourage people to take.

Fine for you, with your reasons and your objectives. Others may not be like you, we have to allow for that. Be positive about 30 days a month they are vegetarian rather than negative about the 1 day a month they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's a problem of semantics as much as anything really. If you eat a steak a month, you're not "vegetarian", but I have to admit that I can't readily think of another suitable word.

I agree with you that more people making a conscious effort to cut down on meat consumption is a good thing and should be encouraged.

But saying "I'm a vegetarian except at the weekends" is a bit like the "I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken" crowd: you either never eat meat and are a vegetarian, or rarely/sometimes/often eat meat and are NOT a vegetarian. These inbetweeners devalue the commitment that actual vegetarians make and actually make life more difficult for us, because it implies to the general population that being vegetarian is something unhealthy, unsatisfying or difficult, and leads to situations like us being offered fish or gelatine and coming across like really awkward, fussy "one of those" vegetarians when we're just being plain old vegetarians.

My point is though why put effort into encouraging people to be vegetarian for 30 days instead of 31?

If somebody absolutely must eat meat one day a month then you're 100% correct I would take that.

Afterall, encouraging 5 people to do meat free monday for the rest of their lives still isn't as good as persuading 1 person to be vegetarian.

I completely understand that a compromise has to be met, but there comes a point when you ask for so little you do detriment to your cause.

I'm not attacking anybody by the way! :p

This topic would probably make a good thread of its own at this stage, the vegan society recently came under criticism for bigging up Richard Branson's decision to stop eating meat, ie. Celebrities not eating beef is good publicity, but at what point has the vegan message been too diluted.

Anyway, I just didn't mean to offend anybody!

I never said I was a vegetarian nor have I bought an 18 euro chicken. But eating meat 2 days a week instead of 7 is a really good idea I think. For me anyway.
    I don't want to be a vegetarian I just want to eat less meat and saving it for the weekend works for me

• Advertisement

Ye I know you're not veg, I'm glad after watching those films you decided to eat less meat etc. I guess, wasn't having a go at you just giving the OP my advice on how to not eat meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Some people keep a 90 % meat free diet. At least make sure it is from a reputable source if you can afford to. Veganism/Vegetarianism is a choice. It could be who you are as a person has changed. Look into supplementation. Honestly people saying they cannot agree with this or that it does not matter it's not you. OP do what you want to people commit to what represents who they are. One of the things I notice is that you don't seem to want to be vegetarian yet wonder why you eat meat? It's simply you don't want to be a vegetarian. So don't be.

I am Vegetarian because I want to be. If you want to preach that's fine if it is part of your ideology. But not realizing your perception is not reality is childish. In many countries the word vegetarian means different things.

What about Vegetarians who never eat it but take part in it's preparation for others? What about a Vegetarian who never eats it but cooks it once a week for someone else vrs someone who eats meat only once a month and never cooks it for others?

Our perception of morality is personal.

If I felt for my body I needed to eat meat but I supplement well so I don't think it will be an issue. For some Vegetarian is more of an identity thing.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Fine for you, with your reasons and your objectives.

I missed this the first time I read it but just want to make it clear I absolutely don't care what the OP eats, they came on here looking to become inspired to be vegetarian again and I commented on your advice, please don't lash out and claim I have an agenda or 'objectives'.

If the OP feels they are letting themselves down by eating some meat perhaps they could choose to avoid beef when they do break. It's the biggie when it comes to harming the environment etc

fewtins wrote: »
    I missed this the first time I read it but just want to make it clear I absolutely don't care what the OP eats, they came on here looking to become inspired to be vegetarian again and I commented on your advice, please don't lash out and claim I have an agenda or 'objectives'.

Read what I wrote again with a softer, jeebus kinda voice and you'll be closer to my intent. We all have objectives & I never lash out on the net.

Today my objective is to find a lower carb diet than my current one. :D

Advertisement