Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMBER LEAF

Options
  • 17-01-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Has anybody noticed the huge demand for Amber Leaf Tobacco at the moment.
    Many times recently when I have gone to buy it in the shops it has been sold out. I see empty packets thrown on the ground everywhere. Obviously it's very attractive to buy a box at €5.00. I'm on the rollies for the last few months myself as I just c'ant afford nearly €10.00 for a pack for Marlboro Lights. My old brand. Anyone else moved to Amber Leaf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There's definitely been a migration to them for those who can't afford to be spending so much on regular cigarettes. A lot of people also move to amber leaf and other loose tobacco brands. Lots of people use them to cut down on smoking and then sometimes to stop altogether. I see maybe 1 out of 20 people who are quitting were smoking amber leaf. That's just an estimate...I don't calculate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

I start smoking amber leaf last week to try cut down both my consumption and spending on ciggies. I prefer the taste of amber leaf to any cigarettes ive smoked but i seem to be smoking more because i like it so much :/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

Seems to largely be a trend of the times. Almost everyone i know that smokes have moved onto rolling tobacco like amber leaf to cut the cost. Half the price, for maybe 25 rollies over 20 cigarettes, it's understandable why there's been a mass transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Seems to largely be a trend of the times. Almost everyone i know that smokes have moved onto rolling tobacco like amber leaf to cut the cost. Half the price, for maybe 25 rollies over 20 cigarettes, it's understandable why there's been a mass transition.

I manage to get atleast 36 - 38 from a box. I once got 42 rollies from a box, but I have very skinny rollies. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I swapped over from Marlboro Reds to Amber Leaf as it was cheaper, and tobacco lasts longer than a box of cigarettes.. I can get maybe 6 days out of tobacco, whereas with Marlboro Reds, they'd only last 2 or 3 days tops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Just got a terrible bang of rubber of a rollie. Feel a bit sick now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Per the charter:
    "2. There is no talk of smoking illegal substances in here, the forum isn’t for that and the poster will be warned, following a second offence, they will be banned."

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

everyone i know smokes amber leaf. its just so cheap compared to normal fags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Amber Leaf Blonde is nice & light, my go to baccy when my stash of American spirit runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clionabum

How much is a combi box of Amber leaf these days anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Clionabum wrote: »
    How much is a combi box of Amber leaf these days anyway?
    €5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clionabum

€5.50

Cool, Merci buckets! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Just wondering, how much is a 12.5g box of Amber Leaf these days taking into account the budget?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just wondering, how much is a 12.5g box of Amber Leaf these days taking into account the budget?

€6 out of a vending machine, probably €5.90 in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

beertons wrote:
    €6 out of a vending machine, probably €5.90 in the shop.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

An Amber-Leaf box of tobacco was €5.45 the night before the budget just gone. The government raised the VAT to an extra 20-cent for this particular tobacco, of which would be priced at €5.65, So why are we charged €5.90 in supervalu ?. Won't be shopping there again, greed is back.

Ah sure, lets add-on our own little extra price increase why don't we.

AmberLeafSmallBoxOfTobacco_zps3fb39afd.jpg~original

It's how they worded it . All cigarettes went up 40c, with roll your own to go up an extra 20c. It took me a week to cop on what they said. Typical government, increase the most, the more popular types.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

beertons wrote: »
    It's how they worded it . All cigarettes went up 40c, with roll your own to go up an extra 20c. It took me a week to cop on what they said. Typical government, increase the most, the more popular types.

I wonder is there much of a price difference on Amber Leaf from here to Northern Ireland. From what I gather a 50g pouch is about £11.50 but I'm not sure what they are here ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder is there much of a price difference on Amber Leaf from here to Northern Ireland. From what I gather a 50g pouch is about £11.50 but I'm not sure what they are here ?

No idea. I just have the 12.5g ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

bought a box of golden virginia smooth today and it was 4 quid , skins and filters all there

the good times are back !!!

tbf it was a 9g pouch rather than the standard 12.5g but still fairly handy

yeah I've been buying the 9g boxes with papers and filters for €4, the brand is GV Smooth which I tried after the local shop was out of Amber Leaf. Its not bad at all and at €4 for 9g it is slightly better value than €5.90/12.5g

Anyone know how much the large (25g and 50g) pouches of rolling tobaccos cost? They're probably the best value per gram but none come with filters AFAIK and those that do come with papers usually only have one pack which might not do the entire pouch I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Bought a 12.5g pouch of Golden Virginia in a Supervalue earlier and I think it was €5.60 so the 25g pouch should be like a little under €11. Bought Amber Leaf 25g last week and it was €11 even.

The Golden Virginia pouch has a zip lock reseal.

thanks for that, I was trying to figue outif its better to buy the 25g pouches over the 12.5g ones. I think a few of the 25g ones come with papers but no filters, is that right? If so filters are pretty cheap so its likely better to stick with buying the 25g pouches, but only marginally to be fair, maybe a saving of 50c or so.

I'm surprised they're so expensive in the UK as well because they used to be cheap for rollies a few years back. Now I'm wondering which government got the idea off which government because UK prices are broadly in line with Irish ones

update on the 9 squid gv smooth : it's not very nice :(

nb . normal golden virginia (green) is fantastic , however

Yeah the 25g pouches seem to be about double the price with a saving of twenty cents or so here and there. The large Amber Leaf comes with papers and no filters.

I usually smoke Amber Leaf but have switched to Golden Virginia green to try it. Jury is out but I'll report back. Not sure I can taste a huge difference but GV tobacco definitely smells different to ALeaf - the latter has a more citrus smell.

Tried Drum recently but wasn't a fan, very pungent odour to it.

Also, I buy the box of swan filters. Can't remember exactly hiw much it is but it's about a euro or so and has 102 filters which does me like two weeks.

Prefer the standard slim ones to ultra slim as I dont like stains on my fingers.

Fyi Golden Virginia yellow box called GV Smooth is €5.10 with papers and ultra slim filters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Holy crap, is it around 6 euro for rollies these days??

I remember buying a fresh pouch back in the day, lovely smell. Just four years ago I remember 12.5g of amber leaf being 3.65. I am shocked at 6 quid :eek:

Advertisement