Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Two Towers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I agree with everyone who said that Faramir was done wrong.. he didn't come across as a wise ranger of the south with Numenorian blood in his veins, more like Boromir with a big nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by kaids
    And the books are no doubt perfect :ROLEZYEZ: @REIOZLELZ: :ROLEYZ:

Actually I think he got to caught up in slavishly trying to recreate book on film. I think if he concentrated on telling the story of the book it would have worked better.

I mean its a different medium. For example he could have used a narrator voice over puting context to the various scenes etc. or perhaps even an animated map to chart the progress of the fellowship etc. How about a quick bio of the charachters as they are introduced. Ok well maybe not but still there was an opportunity to be a little creative with the format to better tell/illustrate the story/saga.

I sure some of you "purists" would hate that kinda stuff but I think it would have made a better movie/film.

Do any of you think anyone will be up for an oscar for their acting in either of the first two films. For me, gollum out acted everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd definetly agree there, but the problem is, and there was a lot of talk about this, that Gollum isn't a fully acted character. But yes, if he was allowed to receive an orcar, Andy Serkis would be top of the list.

But I would disagree where you say Jackson got too caught up trying to recreate the book. I mean, some of the worst scenes in the film are those that stray from the original context of the book... Aragorn Presumed dead being one.

Even Illkillya's point about Faramir...
    They strayed from the book with him, and he ended up a poorer character for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Celt
    We dont. The books, while, no doubt classics, are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

As long as they keep as much as possible of the bad poetry out of the movies I'm a little more happy
    Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Do any of you think anyone will be up for an oscar for their acting in either of the first two films.

Well, Ian McKellen got nominated last year for FOTR so we'll just go with "yes"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

god damn right!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

dorktower - v.good lol
    Originally posted by sceptre
    As long as they keep as much as possible of the bad poetry out of the movies I'm a little more happy

lol, he has a point there...
    Originally posted by sceptre
    Well, Ian McKellen got nominated last year for FOTR so we'll just go with "yes"

lol, didn't know that. I'll admit that I like him as Gandalf. He plays it well and looks the part. Price is good too. Not much of him in TT though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Firtsly anyone who read the Silmarillion and hasn't since killed themselves deserves all praise. Got half way and was so bored with trying to keep track of who was the god of this and that, that I just scanned through the rest.

Great big dirty spoiler :-

This film did not really keep my interest, there were long periods of it where I was thinking where did this come from, what impact does this have on the story. Faramir bringing the boyos to Gondor, being one such part, the battle at Gondor was really just a bit of a skirmish too. The lads following the orcs on foot another, granted they were travelling for three days but did we have to see all three days of it ?

The attack on Helm's deep was poorly done, hopefully in the extended version we can see more of that battle, maybe some more elves dying (the look on Haldir's face when Aragorn hugs him was very exquisite, in fact facial expressions throughout the flick were quite good, Gollum's being the best, not sure if he counts though). For the climax of the film it really was a bit tame and why in god's name did all of the Orcs etc run away when the cavalry came, they still had them outnumbered and these guys allegedly the hardest Mofo's ever to exist all went wailing back to whatever hole they were expelled from. (Before ya go telling me from where they were spawned AW, save your breath). And why oh why did they try to make Gimli the comic relief ???

Good bits, the Ents were as good as I had hoped, Smeagol/Gollum in their fight-clubesque scenes were very good, the trek across the bog of eternal stench was a bit of alright too.

Anyway I will wait till the extended version is released close to the end of the year and watch it again, hopefully this will alter my opinion of it. The extended version of FOTR was quite a bit better than the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Smeagol/Gollum in their fight-clubesque scenes were very good
    When I was watching that scene, I was really reminded of Geri's Game, a Pixar short on the Bug's Life DVD. I'd be very surprised if this didn't influence the guys at WETA - some of the movements and facial expressions are very, very similar. So if you enjoyed the Gollum/Smeagol interplay, you should check it out.

Even if you didn't, it's still pretty good.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    ...Anyway I will wait till the extended version is released close to the end of the year and watch it again, hopefully this will alter my opinion of it. The extended version of FOTR was quite a bit better than the original.

Actually he has a point, in fact I agree 100% with everything you said about the film. I really wanted to love this film, and I thought it was ok, but that it really could have been a lot better, perhaps a lot was lost in the cutting of the film. Some of it that made it into the film certainly should have been. The directors cut/extended version will be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

Ive seen it 3 times now and i think people are expressing far too much criticism to the picture...This trilogy will go down in history as one of the greatest ever. The effects are unbelievable. I know that some of the film did not match the books identically but no film in history ever exactly copied the book and its just part of the film making business.
    One of the best films ive seen in years. I was pinching myself after Helms deep.

One thing...why does Liv Tyler get third bill in the last two movies when she never was more than ten minutes in either.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

New character in Return of the King:
    http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/01/jaromir.html

oh god :) that's precious, best thing I've read in a long time
    lol
    "Gondora gonna fallsa"

rofl!

Well they've added so much other unbookly stuff why not have someone who says 'Yousa steala precious from meesa!' :)

someone oughta start a poll to find out which is worse.. that or "let's hunt some orc"

Judging by recent polls I'd imagine that somebody already has somewhere. probably not on the correct board though...

Sorry for digging up the dead. I said in my original post on this thread that something wasn't sitting right with me about this film, and I think I've put my finger on it.

Let me first make it clear that yes, I thought the film kicked much ass, but my problem with the film lies in the characters - I could not empathise with a single one. This is very important to me, and can really affect how well a film 'sits' with me. In TTT, I couldn't really relate, or find any sort of empathy for any of the major characters. Let me explain:

Frodo: Stroppy cunt. Towards the end of the film, I was kinda hoping he'd just put the ring on, get killed, and get it over with.
    Gandalf: Well, he was supposed to be 'distant', right?
    Aragorn: Spending the whole movie looking like you're trying to squeeze a melon through your nostril does not amount to 'acting'. Nor does it inspire any sort of compassion.
    Sam: Fluctuated between the source of all emotion in the movie, and being a jerk. Plus, he loses marks for having a wobbly accent.
    Gimli: Less a 'character' and more just 'comic relief'.
    Legolas: Went through the movie giving everyone aggro. At least he smiled in Fellowship.
    Theoden: Started out feeling sorry for him, then he just became a glory-hogging jerk. Also loses marks for making me constantly imagine him saying "You're off your bleedin' rocker, Shirley Valentine".
    Gollum: Mild sympathy for him. Switching between characters made it too hard to tell if I should be sympathetic or loathe him. So I stopped trying to keep up.

Right - so I'm not entirely serious with some of those summaries, but does anyone else feel this? I think it's a remarkable testament to the action scenes in the film - they were able to carry the movie, even though it lacked any sort of good characterization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, just back from seeing it a 3rd time.
    And I'm not even going to bother arguing with you, ObeyGiant.
    Because you're wrong.
    So very wrong.
    :p

But, did anyone else think that Peter Jackson might've payed a little homage to Army Of Darkness? I just got the film on DVD, and noticed a couple of similarities. Like when Wormtongue held the candle near the gunpowder is straight out of AoD! Also, the way they held back until the orcs were half way charged towards the keep until they fired the arrows, and the way the orcs had crossbows just like the deadites in AoD, and the seige ladders, and Theoden's retreat into the keep quite mirrored Arthur's retreat to the second wall... Gandalf's charge = Henry the Red's valliant rescue? Theoden and Aragorn charging out = Ash charging out on his Death Coaster?

Omg!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to figure out why I don't feel like I probably should, having just seen one of the best films of all time. I'm hardly 'wrong' for not empathising with any of the characters.

As for the AOD references - the only one I spotted was the Wormtongue/gunpowder one. I think you're pushing it with the rest of them.

Actually - the list of films "referenced" by TTT is pretty interesting - http://us.imdb.com/Mlinks?0167261. And they have Geri's Game listed - I feel vindicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'd have to say I agree with you there ObeyGiant. I remember having the exact same feeling after coming out of Star Wars Ep II, and similarly I just couldn't put my finger on why I felt dissatisfied. It took me a few days to realise that I just couldn't give two sh1ts about any of the characters. Both movies seem to have foregone character development, and instead gone for that epic quality. But for me it's really the characters that make the movie.

The only thing I'll disagree with you is on Gollum, I thought his character had more meat on it than the rest put together. It's definitely not a good sign when the best character in a film doesn't exist in real life...

Originally posted by Jazz
    I'd have to say I agree with you there ObeyGiant. I remember having the exact same feeling after coming out of Star Wars Ep II, and similarly I just couldn't put my finger on why I felt dissatisfied. It took me a few days to realise that I just couldn't give two sh1ts about any of the characters. Both movies seem to have foregone character development, and instead gone for that epic quality. But for me it's really the characters that make the movie.

The only thing I'll disagree with you is on Gollum, I thought his character had more meat on it than the rest put together. It's definitely not a good sign when the best character in a film doesn't exist in real life...

couldn't agree more...

Advertisement