Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom - Celtic Tiger is back !

Options
  • 21-09-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

So.. yes - Celtic Tiger years are back - no one wants my money :(

In a process of house renovation right now, decided some time ago that I need new bathroom.
    Found 1 good tiler, his company was recommended to me by a friend, who had her bathroom done recently. Tiler was extra professional, went through all details and I was waiting for him to send me quotation.
    Waited 1 week - rang him, he was very apologetic and promised details in 2 days.
    Another week was gone , so I rang him again and heard the same story - give me 2 days.
    after 3rd week I sent him txt that I want quotation within 48h or assume he doesn't want my money - never heard back from him.

Found another tiler also recommended by someone- he arrived the next day, agreed details, agreed he will look into schedule and let me know when he can start work. Tiler sent me quotation the following day.
    After week 1 I rang him to talk about time frame, he said he will reply via email.
    after week 2 I rang him again, so he asked if I ordered tiles, bath and all the stuff. I run to the shop ordered stuff and rang him that this is done, when you can start work ? ( now any day I will have bath in my living room for next few weeks)
    after week 3 I sent him another email, sent him text message, and since Tuesday I have not heard anything from him.

Whats wrong these days with people? Is it really that good on the market, that professionals spit on 2k in cash ?

btw I need decent tiler in Dublin ASAP :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you think they have no work on? Clearly they do and you are pencilled in. A good tradesman is a busy one.

Celtic tiger thing is not really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

893bet wrote: »
    Do you think they have no work on? Clearly they do and you are pencilled in. A good tradesman is a busy one.

Celtic tiger thing is not really relevant.

A good tradesman is a tradesman who has his scheduler and can can fit you in.
    It does not matter if he can start in a month or 2, it does matter he keep in touch with you, and provide quotation and time frame in a reasonable time..

they even did not get back to me - Am I right thinking that 3 weeks for quotation, or time frame is too much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    It does not matter if he can start in a month or 2, it does matter he keep in touch with you, and provide quotation and time frame in a reasonable time..

they even did not get back to me - Am I right thinking that 3 weeks for quotation, or time frame is too much ?

I know of an excellent tiler( he worked for a famous construction company that went under and he was assigned to their ultra-luxury homes). Because he only ever had to turn up to the job, he never did invoices or quotes before. Meaning it was not uncommon for him to take weeks to invoice.

You can just ask the tilers what they charge per sq metre to get an indication of price. Also I wouldnt pay in cash, because isnt there tax relief for renovations now?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

hfallada wrote: »
    I know of an excellent tiler( he worked for a famous construction company that went under and he was assigned to their ultra-luxury homes). Because he only ever had to turn up to the job, he never did invoices or quotes before. Meaning it was not uncommon for him to take weeks to invoice.

You can just ask the tilers what they charge per sq metre to get an indication of price. Also I wouldnt pay in cash, because isnt there tax relief for renovations now?

by cash I mean - money in general. I want to have it taxed etc for insurance and tax relief reasons. I know roughly how much I will pay, but tilinig is not everything - need some pipe work, etc to be done as well.

Maybe I do something wrong here, but when I meet with tradesman in my place, we agree what needs to be done , and then I expect follow up call or email with quotation and time when job can be done.

If I wait 3 weeks in each case to know when tradesman can start or how much he will charge me - in my opinion something is not right here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

It was probably a small job and he's a lot of work on at the moment.

If you where near me I'd have gave you a full quote for the whole bathroom refit, tiled etc... I've been doing this for 20 years and come highly recommended and I'm very reasonable price ways, but if your in Dublin, your to far away for me to travel. Max I would do is 1.45 hours to the job and same back but I'm over 3 hours away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Marcin_diy wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't be bothered chasing someone - try to contact them twice and if no response, try someone else.

If they aren't interested enough to come back to you now, they certainly won't be, when you are looking to get the work finished. That's been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

letape wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be bothered chasing someone - try to contact them twice and if no response, try someone else.

If they aren't interested enough to come back to you now, they certainly won't be, when you are looking to get the work finished. That's been my experience anyway.

+1
    I'd even go so far as to say twice is once too many.

Advertisement