Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Facing Extension Question

Options
  • 17-09-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

We live in a 3 bed semi. We're planning on putting an extension at, and remodelling, the back of the house. It would be a kitchen/living room. We won't need planning permission.

The sun NEVER hits the back of our house. My wife would like to put as much glass as possible in the back "wall" to maximise the amount of light at the back of the house. She'd like to have glass extending pretty much the full length of the back of the extension, and from top to bottom, if possible.

It can be done, no problem. However, I'd like to have a decent u-value in the extension. A few companies claim that they can achieve 0.4 with their triple glazing. I can quote their names if anyone wants. They're two of the biggest Irish window companies. Two questions....

1. Would 0.4 be an acceptable u-value for such an extension?
    2. Would triple glazing cut down considerably on light, as opposed to double glazing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    We live in a 3 bed semi. We're planning on putting an extension at, and remodelling, the back of the house. It would be a kitchen/living room. We won't need planning permission.

The sun NEVER hits the back of our house. My wife would like to put as much glass as possible in the back "wall" to maximise the amount of light at the back of the house. She'd like to have glass extending pretty much the full length of the back of the extension, and from top to bottom, if possible.

It can be done, no problem. However, I'd like to have a decent u-value in the extension. A few companies claim that they can achieve 0.4 with their triple glazing. I can quote their names if anyone wants. They're two of the biggest Irish window companies. Two questions....

1. Would 0.4 be an acceptable u-value for such an extension?
    2. Would triple glazing cut down considerably on light, as opposed to double glazing?

Thanks in advance.
    0.4wm2k would be super. What is your budget per msq?

The problem with a wall of glass, any wall of glass, is the frames, supports and junctions.
    3G v 2g: Don't worry about the light, you won't notice the difference once it's specified correctly.
    Worry about who is going to specify , design and detail your project.

If it's sunlight you want clever design features and of course rooflights can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Thanks Bryan. Your advice and information is great, and much appreciated, as always! :)

I don't have a budget, as such, yet. We had an initial consultation with an architect, just to get a few ideas. We haven't decided on any particular architect yet but we'd hope to start the work next May approx.

Glad to hear that 3G V 2G isn't a huge deal, light wise.

When you talk about who is going to specify, design and detail the project, do you mean architect, builder or glass supplier?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

really all three but initially your chosen architect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

We put on a north facing extension ourselves with alot of glass at the far end for light but we also put in a roof-light, 8ft by 4ft and that made all the difference. It's a flat roof and the roof-light manages to catch sun at the height it is at and bounce it into the room. It's defo worth thinking about.

Advertisement