Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build insurance

Options
  • 13-09-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi all

Currently looking at getting short term self build insurance for a 39sqm extension. I have tried the usual providers suggested on this forum but it appears the insurer they used has left the market, so am now left with very few options. Does anyone have any suggestions about self build insurance providers ? Ideally this build will be 3 months and would only need insurance for this period and not 12 months.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

PM SENT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Is it a legal requirement to have the insurance in place because I know quite a few who didn't take it out when building their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

To be honest with all the new building regs and changes i don't know if it is compulsory but i just can't afford to risk anything happening on site while the build is going on. Much prefer to have insurance than have to sell the house to cover a claim !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

To be honest with all the new building regs and changes i don't know if it is compulsory but i just can't afford to risk anything happening on site while the build is going on. Much prefer to have insurance than have to sell the house to cover a claim !

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Got mine off FBD to cover employer and public liability only. They will cover the structure, but only after roof is on and windows are in.

Cover for 6 months and cost ~€600.

• Advertisement

tedimc wrote: »
    Got mine off FBD to cover employer and public liability only. They will cover the structure, but only after roof is on and windows are in.

Cover for 6 months and cost ~€600.

Sounds great was there a particular name for your policy ? They will be my next phone call !
    Thanks

It seems to be called 'Liability Short Period' covering Employee & Public liability.

Read the fine print though - it doesn't cover people falling off a ladder for example!!

tedimc wrote: »
    It seems to be called 'Liability Short Period' covering Employee & Public liability.

Read the fine print though - it doesn't cover people falling off a ladder for example!!

Spoke to them and i don't seem to be able to get this policy. Seems to be only available to existing business or farm clients who build an outhouse, lean to or barn on a farm. Apparently not for a house extension to a private person with no house or building policy with them.

Really? That's unusual - I don't have any policies with them apart from that. I did get a quote for farm insurance as well to cover animals breaking out - but I'm not a farmer and was considering renting out the land.

Did you try your local office? I went through my local branch and not through a call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

duckcfc wrote: »
    Is it a legal requirement to have the insurance in place because I know quite a few who didn't take it out when building their house.

its a big gamble doing that...take it from someone who ended up down the line of a claim being taken against me.by someone who wasnt even working on the site...i was glad i had it...they were not successful against me and i was indemnified in the end, but the legal fees of close to 6 k were covered by the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 alemap83

We are just about to start building as well and need self build insurance. Can anyone recommend a insurance provider? We will need insurance for at least a year.

alemap83 wrote: »
    We are just about to start building as well and need self build insurance. Can anyone recommend a insurance provider? We will need insurance for at least a year.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Can you pm me please,
    thought I might of seen some insurance companies at the citywest expo, none

ronn wrote: »
    Can you pm me please,
    thought I might of seen some insurance companies at the citywest expo, none

was pretty disappointed with that expo. Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 17 koxy

Can you pm me also please?

koxy wrote: »
    Can you pm me also please?

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Could I get a pm too please? We're struggling trying to find a provider

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

please PM the poster, there is no need to ask for PM on the forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Hey I got a policy back in March which was extremely good value - about €37 per month on DD and the option to cancel once the build was complete. Let me know if anyone wants details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Ciara22 wrote: »
    Hey I got a policy back in March which was extremely good value - about €37 per month on DD and the option to cancel once the build was complete. Let me know if anyone wants details :)

Yes please Ciara22!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    please PM the poster, there is no need to ask for PM on the forum. Thanks
    mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Yes please Ciara22!
    Thanks

Yes please & thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Yes please too, I am about to enter this market and looking for best options.

Thanks

EDIT: thread reopened following PM request

could posters please send persons recommending companies a PM

please do not clog up the thread thanks

Hi all

So has anybody heard back from Ciara22 ? or did she just throw that in here to wind us up :)

Need to organise this over the next few days and still really haven't found any reasonably priced options. Cant get the policy Tedimc mentions from his insurer for some reason and the cheapest other option is pretty much twice the price he has quoted.

Let me know if anyone has had any joy anywhere

Cheers

Advertisement