Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee proposal for new build - is this extortionate?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently got a fee proposal from a registered architect to design and manage a 150sqm new build in Dublin. This is not a straightforward project in that it includes the design and build of a 30sqm (ish) extension in the house beside where we'd be building ours (effectively 2 projects in one I guess).

Anyway, I nearly fell off my chair when I received this quote - would love feedback on the various stages please. All prices exclude VAT, engineers fees and Assigned Certifier fees are not included either.

Stage 2: Sketch Scheme proposals: €3,500 plus VAT
    Stage 3: Detailed design: €4,000 plus VAT
    Stage 4: Planning (drawings, elevations, consultations): €5500 plus VAT
    Stage 5: Tender & Construction package preparation: €6,000 plus VAT
    Stage 6: Tender Action and negotiation - 3 contractors: €1000 plus VAT
    Stage 7: On site works - €8,000 plus VAT

Total is coming to nearly 30k (not including vat and the other services I mentioned above). I would trust the company that their design would be top notch, but are these costs crazy? Particularly surprised at the costs for Stages 2 and 6 - but are these reasonable considering there is both a new build and an extension?

Feedback/advice would be much appreciated, cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It probably works out around 10% (or less) of the overall build cost...so...sort of par for the course, I would suggest...or possibly even cheap!

Has the architect included in that quote for acting as Design and Assigned Certifier under the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It probably works out around 10% (or less) of the overall build cost...so...sort of par for the course, I would suggest...or possibly even cheap!

Has the architect included in that quote for acting as Design and Assigned Certifier under the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations?

Ok, thanks. That's good to know. We'll be going out for other quotes so should have a better idea then, but I do like this company's work.

No, the Assigned Certifier role is not included, either are the engineers fees. So can we estimate another 10k on top of that (including VAT)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    No, the Assigned Certifier role is not included, either are the engineers fees. So can we estimate another 10k on top of that (including VAT)?

Possibly...but...I would be suggesting that you should try and get an architect who is willing to provide full service (as you have been quoted for) and who (is willing to) also act as Design and Assigned Certifier. It may be cheaper to have the two roles combined.

Thanks Docarch.

What is your opinion on the stage 5 fees? Is this standard enough? Was surprised at the extra 1k for Action and Negotion too.

If we decided to go with this company, is there usually any scope for negotiation, or any other areas generally where savings can be made?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks Docarch.

What is your opinion on the stage 5 fees? Is this standard enough? Was surprised at the extra 1k for Action and Negotion too.

If we decided to go with this company, is there usually any scope for negotiation, or any other areas generally where savings can be made?
    tender clarifcaiton process is getting longer and more onerous as with tighter contractor margains come greater risks of claims etc. this process from time of issue of tender documents to actually selecting a contractor can take 2 months or more, with time spent chasing quotations, reviewing cheaper alternatives, checking out the builders history, and of course make sure everything is actually quoted for. is a QS's input planned?

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    is a QS's input planned?

Thanks BryanF.

Yes, definitely.

Stage 3 includes the following line:

Presentation of outline budget costings based on scheme drawings and in consultation with a QS – this is an initial costing based on the developed scheme design and any further dealings with the QS would incur additional cost.

Would this be sufficient in your opinion?

Thanks Docarch.

What is your opinion on the stage 5 fees? Is this standard enough?

At E6K +VAT for a 150m.sq. and a 30m.sq. extension, if detailed and specified properly, that is (quite) reasonable.

The only way you will know what is reasonable and what is not is get a couple of fee proposals from a couple of architects.

...and...don't be tempted to go with the lowest...check out references/referees first, before making a decision.

As you are building a 150m.sq. house, Building Control (Amendment) Regulations apply, so to get a true feeling for fees, you also need to get fee proposals for somebody to act as Design and Assigned Certifier.

You also need to ask about (fees associated with) Health & Safety as you will also need to appoint a Project Supervisor Design Process. See/read here: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guidance.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

WOW-Those fees are daft. I'd shop around and you should consider using a different assigned certifier that the architect.

ALSO-DO NOT USE A BUILDER RECOMMENDED BY THE ARCHITECT! FIND YOUR OWN!

ALSO-DO NOT USE A BUILDER RECOMMENDED BY THE ARCHITECT! FIND YOUR OWN!

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

Because it is an known and accepted practice that the builder will give a fee to the Architect for getting him the job, which he then adds onto your quote by upping his pricing. .

Also when problems arise as they will whose side the the Architect going to be on-yours or the builder if they are pals? If you keep them separate there is no conflict of interest and the architect should then be looking after your interests only.

Because it is an known and accepted practice that the builder will give a fee to the Architect for getting him the job, which he then adds onto your quote by upping his pricing. .

Also when problems arise as they will whose side the the Architect going to be on-yours or the builder if they are pals? If you keep them separate there is no conflict of interest and the architect should then be looking after your interests only.

Very sweeping assumptions and accusations!

More often than not, clients will want to go with a builder the architect has worked with before....that's my experience.

Its not an accusation-I have encountered it on numerous occasions over the years and there was article in the Irish times several years ago about the practice. Seems it is is not recommended by the professional body for Architects nor is it condoned!

Surely the tender process will weed put this sort of thing? I assume the client will be involved in choosing the builder based on a selection provided by the architect. I would also send the tender to one or two companies recommended to me so we'd have a good indication if we are getting a fair price or not.

Its not an accusation-I have encountered it on numerous occasions over the years and there was article in the Irish times several years ago about the practice. Seems it is is not recommended by the professional body for Architects nor is it condoned!

I would like to see a link to the article? I can't ever remember hearing of such an article?

All architects are bound by a code of ethics...if you are aware of the practice you suggest, maybe you should report individuals to the RIAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

..what utter rubbish..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stage 2: Sketch Scheme proposals: €3,500 plus VAT
    Stage 3: Detailed design: €4,000 plus VAT
    Stage 4: Planning (drawings, elevations, consultations): €5500 plus VAT
    Stage 5: Tender & Construction package preparation: €6,000 plus VAT
    There seems to be a lot of overlap and make-work in those stages. In "Detailed design", will they not be doing "drawings, elevations"? Strictly speaking, detailed design usually comes after planning.

If the overall fee is 15% or less of construction cost, that should be OK. However, for that price, I would expect a full construction design and management service, with engineer (to be honest, just how much of an engineer is needed?) and QS included. To include all supervision, certification and copies of drawings for other uses, e.g. solicitor.

Ask them to clarify what other outlays are expected, e.g. planning fees, development contributions, utility connections, etc. and what level of finish will be provided. After that, I would only expect to have to pay legal fees for any conveyancing or property registration.

My point is that you are better off trying to find a builder independently of the Architect for the reasons stated.

Another anomaly is that an Architectural technician can call himself/herself an Architect if he /she is a member of the RIAI. There is a difference between an Architect and an Architectural Technician.

Another anomaly is that an Architectural technician can call himself/herself an Architect if he /she is a member of the RIAI.

No...they cannot!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Another anomaly is that an Architectural technician can call himself/herself an Architect if he /she is a member of the RIAI. There is a difference between an Architect and an Architectural Technician.

Now you really are talking bull.

While many technologists can and do provide the service quoted, they are not permitted to call themselves architects, and the last ones who could get away with trying it are those that are members of the riai. They'd be booted out immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

My point is that you are better off trying to find a builder independently of the Architect for the reasons stated. .
    But the reasons 'stated' don't stack up?
    You are an Eng? May I ask Where has such a negative view of architects come from? Each discipline has there place

what has this got to do with anything? Arch techs have a role in designing buildings just as engineers do.

No...they cannot!

Straight off the RIAI website:

Regulation of the Title Architect
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Contents
    Introduction ............................................................................................................................................................... 1
    1. Why is the title ‘architect’ regulated? ................................................................................................................. 2
    a) Why is a process of Registration needed? ........................................................................................................ 2
    b) How does the Building Control Act protect consumers? ................................................................................... 2
    c) Why is the RIAI now writing to people practising as architects who are not on the Register?........................... 3
    2. Who needs to register as an architect? .............................................................................................................. 3
    d) Who do the provisions about the title architect apply to? .................................................................................. 3
    e) Is all use of the word architect regulated? ......................................................................................................... 3
    f) I am qualified and registered in another State, do I have to register to be based here? ................................... 3
    g) I don’t run my own practice, I am an employee, do I have to register? ............................................................. 4
    h) I describe myself as an architect because I have my qualifications, but I am not actually providing
    architectural services, can I continue to do this? ........................................................................................................ 4
    3. Can I register, and if so how? .............................................................................................................................. 4
    i) How do I register if I have recognised qualifications from within the Irish State? .............................................. 4
    j) How do I register if I have been practising as an architect but do not have recognised qualifications? ............ 4
    k) How do I register if I have qualifications/recognition as an architect from an EU/EEA Member State? ............ 6
    l) How do I register if I have undertaken my qualifications outside the EU/EEA or in more than one country? .... 7
    4. Other issues .......................................................................................................................................................... 8
    m) What is the difference between RIAI Membership and Registration? ............................................................... 8
    n) I can’t/don’t wish to register, what about my business? .................................................................................... 8
    Introduction
    Prior to the commencement of the Building Control Act 2007 there was no legal regulation of use of the
    title of Architect. Any individual could call him or herself an architect and offer services to the public as
    such. This situation failed to provide protection to the consumer who had no way of knowing:
    a. whether service providers describing themselves as architects had been objectively assessed
    as possessing the knowledge, skill and competence required to deliver architectural services, or
    b. whether service providers presenting as architects were subject to a code of conduct with
    adequate measures for client recourse..
    Part 3 of the Building Control Act 2007, which sets out the process for the Registration of Architects, has
    been introduced by the State to address this failure.
    The following set of ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ is provided to give some clarity with regard to use and
    regulation of the title architect. The questions are set out in four groups: N5.7_ (4) D _ FAQ re regulation of title architect_22_11_2011 p. 2 of 8
    The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland
    The Registration Body for Architects in Ireland
    1. Why is the title ‘architect’ regulated?
    2. Who needs to register as an architect?
    3. Can I register, and if so how?
    4. Other issues
    1. Why is the title ‘architect’ regulated?
    a) Why is a process of Registration needed?
    Registration of the title architect is needed to protect consumers and to promote quality in the built
    environment.
    Until the enactment of the Building Control Act in 2007 there was no control on who could claim to be an
    architect and provide services on that basis. Unfortunately, at times this left the unsuspecting consumer
    vulnerable to poor service and low standards without adequate recourse. For example:
    • Opinion research carried out for the RIAI prior to the introduction of the Act revealed that 87% of
    the public held the view that persons using the title ‘architect’ had to have appropriate academic
    and professional qualifications even though that was not the case;
    • In 2004, the year prior to the publication of the Building Control Bill 2005, the RIAI received 141
    complaints from the public about the activities of people claiming to be architects, who did not in
    fact hold recognised architectural qualifications;
    • 80% of all of those complaints received by the RIAI in 2004 related to such unqualified
    ‘architects’.
    This issue was brought to a head by a March 2005 RTE Prime Time special which showed the great
    difficulties that can be caused to unsuspecting consumers by unqualified and unregulated (i.e. through a
    code of conduct) people claiming to be architects.
    That year, the then Minister for the Environment announced that he would introduce legislation to
    ensure that only suitably qualified and assessed people could be included on a Register of Architects
    and offer services to the public on this basis.
    b) How does the Building Control Act protect consumers?
    The Act establishes a number of different systems to protect the consumer’s interests.
    • Defined Level of Competence
    All architects on the Register are required to reach an internationally recognised level of
    knowledge, skill and competence that has been independently assessed. In the event of
    difficulties arising an architect can be judged against this standard and appropriate action taken.
    • Code of Conduct and the Professional Conduct Committee
    The Act provides for a statutory procedure to deal with consumer complaints, namely the
    Professional Conduct Committee (PCC). The committee is independent in its decision making
    and is comprised of a majority of non-architects nominated by the Minister. The PCC has the
    powers, rights and privileges of a High Court Judge in relation to enforcing the attendance of
    witnesses, examination under oath and compelling the production of documents. The Act puts
    in place mechanisms to deal with complaints relating to poor professional performance as well
    as to professional misconduct. N5.7_ (4) D _ FAQ re regulation of title architect_22_11_2011 p. 3 of 8
    The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland
    The Registration Body for Architects in Ireland
    • Mediation
    Many of the issues raised with the RIAI by consumers/clients relate to poor professional
    performance and the Act provides for mediation where these matters can be resolved relatively
    quickly between the parties.
    c) Why is the RIAI now writing to people practising as architects who are not on the
    Register?
    Under the Building Control Act, only people on the Register can call themselves ‘architect’ in a manner
    suggesting they are registered and the RIAI is required to ensure that this is the case. The register was
    established in November 2009 and adequate time has elapsed for individuals to take reasonable steps
    to regularise their positions.
    The RIAI has been conducting nationwide research to ascertain whether all of those using the title
    ‘architect’ are in fact registered as implied. Through this painstaking process we have compiled a list of
    individuals who may be using, or have used, the title architect without being registered. At this stage,
    the RIAI’s objective is to ensure that all of those who may be misusing the title are fully aware of the
    legal situation and the options available to them.
    2. Who needs to register as an architect?
    d) Who do the provisions about the title architect apply to?
    • Anyone using the title architect, either alone or in combination with any other words or letters, or
    name, title or description, implying that the person is so registered, and
    • Anyone who practices or carries on business under any name, style or title containing the word
    “architect”
    e) Is all use of the word architect regulated?
    No, certain professional titles are permitted:
    (a) “landscape architect”,
    (b) “naval architect”,
    (c) “architectural technician”,
    (d) “architectural technologist”,
    (e) “interior design architect”
    f) I am qualified and registered in another State, do I have to register to be

Highlight where in all that text where it says the technicians can call themselves architects.

Besides being off-topic to the op you really have no idea what you're talking about in this case.

e) Is all use of the word architect regulated?
    No, certain professional titles are permitted:
    (a) “landscape architect”,
    (b) “naval architect”,
    (c) “architectural technician”,
    (d) “architectural technologist”,
    (e) “interior design architect”
    f) I am qualified and registered in another State, do I have to register to be

I hope for your sake that your comprehension of the eurocodes and building regs is better.

That simply means that people like myself can continue to call ourselves architectural technologists.

Not posting here again - it's off topic and you need to revisit all of what you previously thought was true.

Victor wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of overlap and make-work in those stages. In "Detailed design", will they not be doing "drawings, elevations"? Strictly speaking, detailed design usually comes after planning.

If the overall fee is 15% or less of construction cost, that should be OK. However, for that price, I would expect a full construction design and management service, with engineer (to be honest, just how much of an engineer is needed?) and QS included. To include all supervision, certification and copies of drawings for other uses, e.g. solicitor.

Ask them to clarify what other outlays are expected, e.g. planning fees, development contributions, utility connections, etc. and what level of finish will be provided. After that, I would only expect to have to pay legal fees for any conveyancing or property registration.

Some great points here Victor, thanks.

I wish I knew how much of an engineer was needed :( Does that depend on the complexity of the build structure? What about heating/ventilation/energy management etc, is that usually the architects remit? Or do we need a separate energy consultant for that?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rory, congratulations for posting the most number of bullsh!te posts from a newbie on here ever!
    Outstanding! !

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Some great points here Victor, thanks.

I wish I knew how much of an engineer was needed :( Does that depend on the complexity of the build structure? What about heating/ventilation/energy management etc, is that usually the architects remit? Or do we need a separate energy consultant for that?

Heating, energy etc varies depending on your architect. Some have trained in passive house design for instance whereas others have fairly limited knowledge and just aim to comply with legislation. We're using an architect but also spending about 1k with an energy consultant

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For houses, it is traditionally something that was the responsibility of the architect, but often fluffed. However, the rules have become more exacting over the last 10 years. Tell the architect (in writing) that you expect it to be included in their quote. That will help reduce bloat, mission creep and "Oh, that was someone else's job" when something goes wrong. For large buildings, a building services engineer would be employed.

Similarly, if they are an experienced architect, do they really need an engineer to do more than supervise the foundations and a few structural issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

To be honest Mrs Whippy, I am stunned at those prices. I am building my house at the moment but I am under the old regs and from looking at what you have been quoted I am very glad that I am.
    I used an Arch technician for drawings and planning and have an engineer supervising, doing my details and signing off on the project. I have an energy consultant. I am project managing, it's a lot of work, but it's an eye opener to the cost of building and what the professionals are making.
    There's no point telling you how much I've spent because regs have changed and what I am doing can't be done now apparently.

Of course the architects here are going to tell you that this is a fair quote, they would quote the same most likely if they thought they'd get it. It like turkey's voting for Christmas otherwise. The new regs are a windfall for archetects. Seriously how many hours of actual work is there in it for them and what is the hourly rate. Everybody wants to get as much of your mortgage as they can.

The only advice I can give you is to shop around, big firms with fancy offices have big overheads and staff. Most of the work will be done by technicians. You pay for the office, the technician, the archetect, Range Rovers, secretary, accountants, solicitors and all the other associated services.

By the time you are done with that quote and all the stuff it doesn't include there won't be much change from 50k. That's a whole lot of paperwork. And this calculating by percentage of build is grossly unfair. It should be percentage of materials. Or better still an hourly rate and an estimate of hours required.

Try to find an Archetect working alone from a home office who will give you personal service and advise you on the most cost effective way to proceed. The more he or she can do and the less people involved the cheaper it will be.

As for tendering builders, this is another area where you can lose a lot of money. It is important to get a good builder but it is also important to get one that gives a fair price for labor and doesn't put a premium on materials. I'm putting in a passive slab foundation at the moment. The difference between my highest and lowest quote is €10,000. Will your Archetect find those kind of savings for you at each stage of the build or will they just give the job to one of their trusted builders who knows he's got the job anyway and price accordingly.

Its your money, trust nobody!

Advertisement