Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

esb poles for log cabin

Options
  • 14-09-2014 7:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious is these type poles OK for construction. I'm thinking of building a log cabin for a garage at side of my site and seeing as these poles are as straight as they come, they sound ideal for what I'm wanting it for.

Does anyone know even how much these would be and would they be OK to use with the treated poles or should I be best buying untreated and just stain them.

The garage will be about 12x7 meter so not big. I'll have maybe a 6k budget and will be doing all the work myself and with some free labour from family members.

I was going to use some local stone on base of cabin, say about 800mm-1m of the ground then continue with the poles to roof level and homemade trusses or cut roof for roof. Will use slate if budget stretches but if not, I'll use the corrugated iron sheeting.

Constructive and non constructive replies welcome

Comments

I suppose that the only real issue with them would be residue or fumes from the creosote or whatever preservative was used when they were first erected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

I suppose that the only real issue with them would be residue or fumes from the creosote or whatever preservative was used when they were first erected.

What about fumes from inside shed. Maybe I could source them before they get treated and just stain them. Do you know where I can get my hands on them

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Cool idea..don't worry about fumes there won't be any and if there is it will tiny and not dangerous well unless you plan on inhaling a buxket of the stuff..

Cool idea..don't worry about fumes there won't be any and if there is it will tiny and not dangerous well unless you plan on inhaling a buxket of the stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

vinnie13 wrote: »

And how are you guaranteeing this ???

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »

Go smell a esb pole and come back..
    Nothing to worry about.
    Do you ever see the esb putting them up?are they wearing masks and other pof for hazardous material?

Nothing to worry about.
    Do you ever see the esb putting them up?are they wearing masks and other pof for hazardous material?

Nothing to worry about.

Still can't locate any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Nothing to worry about.

Smell a pole that's surrounded by open space and fresh air ???

How is that the same as an entire enclosed building made of Esb poles ???

You've got to love internet logic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If you are looking for straight poles consider larch, they are as straight as a dye.

If you are looking for straight poles consider larch, they are as straight as a dye.

I can get larch fence posts for reasonable price but not 10-20m poles :(

Smell a pole that's surrounded by open space and fresh air ???

How is that the same as an entire enclosed building made of Esb poles ???

You've got to love internet logic

go smell a pole and come back then otherwise there is no point in you commenting

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

enough of this rubbish, these pole are treated for external conditions and are not suitable for building a house!. carcinogens from them would be extremely high in comparison to timber treated for use in a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You can buy them direct here:-snip-produce all the poles for the ESB and Telecom.
    Excellent quality..... but not cheap!
    Second hand ones are sometimes available but farmers snap them up for use as fencing posts.

Have you worked out how you are going to bolt them together?

Op use the poles don't mind the grumpy old farts..Google using esb poles for sheds etc there will be more helpful and better informed people who are willing to help rather than knock your idea..
    Good luck with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, creosote is not suitable for general construction use. Have a look here for the list of precautions in use and dangers involved

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/creosote_prelim_risk_assess.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

@vinnie13 - have you any experience in using these poles for construction yourself?

reading your responses to this thread would lead us to believe you do....

I can say though from my own experience in dealing with esb or telecom poles is that the fumes from them when cut would make them highly unsuitable for construction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op use the poles don't mind the grumpy old farts..Google using esb poles for sheds etc there will be more helpful and better informed people who are willing to help rather than knock your idea..
    Good luck with it

Vinnie,
    Have the day off.
    in future try to use your words to explain your point of view instead of abusing others

Advertisement