Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akira Kurosawa movies

Options
  • 17-01-2003 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i have seen a few , but i gotto be in the mood to see the films..
    Am a fan of big battles and hero stuff ..so Akira does the trick often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I've seen quite a few. I think he's pretty great, especially with the types of story he writes, a lot of which provided inspiration for Western movies. Hidden Fortress is supposed to have partly inspired bits of Return of the Jedi, while lots of Westerns were based on Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, etc.

Ones I've seen:
    Yojimbo - great action flick, very funny in places
    Sanjuro - all-out comedy follow up to Yojimbo, excellent
    Seven Samurai - fairly legendary epic with great battle scenes
    Throne of Blood - based on Macbeth, a bit relentless and bloody for me
    Ran - based on King Lear, made in 1985 and in colour, quite strange but pretty good.
    Rashomon - the film that made his name, shows the same event from three different perspectives.

And bits of others. All the above bar Ran starred Toshiro Mifune, one of my favourite actors. Incredibly charismatic, very funny, often a complete madman on screen. He died a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Throne of Blood - based on Macbeth, a bit relentless and bloody for me

That one is sort of a required for me as my old man used to produce Shakespeare for about ten years.*

*Note: I can make random good looking females famous a/s/l.

George Lucas ripped off most of his ideas from Akira Kurosawa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I've seen a fair few, Ikiru, Red Beard, The Bad Sleep Well, Seven Samurai, the Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Rashomon.
    My favourites of them would be Red Beard/Akahige, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai.
    Mifune Toshiro is one hell of a damn fine good actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

I remember when I first saw Yojimbo; I was down in a mates and had a few cans of industrial grade lager down me. A Dog appears at the end of the street and lopes down the street in the direction of the camera. I turn to my mate (I'm one of those annoying people who, when I have a couple of drinks on me will talk during a film) and say "wouldnt it be really cool if thats a hand!" and lo and behold; it was; fecking great films, and Mifune was a deadly actor

Advertisement