Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought incompatible processor/mobo combo HVS

• 15-09-2014 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a motherboard with LGA1155 Socket, and processor with LGA1150

Unfortunately only realised today when I went to assemble the machine, ~ 27 days since the order.

I need to organise a return. Are they likely to refund me, or replace? I bought six of each.

In the meantime I need to order a replacement. Which is easier to replace for around the same price, the mobo or the processor?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Are they likely to refund me, or replace?

No. If it's not broken and not clearly their fault they wont even entertain the idea.

Obviously replace whatever was cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

GarIT wrote: »
    No. If it's not broken and not clearly their fault they wont even entertain the idea.

Obviously replace whatever was cheaper.

Is this motherboard going to be an ok replacement?

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=JCEMSI-H81M-E33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would be inclined to keep the newer processors and replace the motherboards .... but I guess it depends on your application.

I would be inclined to keep the newer processors and replace the motherboards .... but I guess it depends on your application.

They're for basic internet surfing, Skype, MS Office, so to be honest I'm going for whatever keeps my costs down.

Replacing the cheaper component (Motherboard) will increase costs from €30 per mobo to €50ish per mobo, whereas replacing the processors gets me down from €50 per CPU to €46 each, which lessens the blow when I have to sell on the original processors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Replacing the cheaper component (Motherboard) will increase costs from €30 per mobo to €50ish per mobo, whereas replacing the processors gets me down from €50 per CPU to €46 each, which lessens the blow when I have to sell on the original processors.

We all have our own preferences and views so please don't take this post as trying to force my view or such ...... just want to point out my reasoning ......

the 1150 m/board will take a newer version processor if a PC needs an upgrade in the future, so that would influence my thinking greatly.

on the matter of cost to remedy, I *suspect*, though have no proof of my feeling on this, that I could sell an unused motherboard with less of a price drop than I could an unused CPU.

Most of the 1150 motherboards are better specified for the price range .... or so it appears to me.

For instance this m/board is about €5 dearer than the purchased one and has USB 3 and SATA 3 as well as HDMI

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/179169/Sonderposten%3A+MSI+H81M-E33%2C+mATX%2C+Sockel+1150.article

That explains my reasoning I hope, but if future upgrade, USB 3, SATA 3 or HDMI are not factors for your application then my reasoning would not apply at all. ;)

Others around the same price as the one above
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/151628/ASRock+H81M-VG4%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/151627/ASRock+H81M-DGS+R2.0%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I blame Intel for this one, to be honest. Whoever over there thought having a two different G3220 parts, using different sockets was a good idea should be shot. (Yes, there are 1155 and 1150 versions of the G3220.)

Thanks for all the replies. I used the complaint function and went through the whole process, and it gave me a shipping label.

If I return them, and they decide I am not entitled to a refund, what happens then?

We all have our own preferences and views so please don't take this post as trying to force my view or such ...... just want to point out my reasoning ......

the 1150 m/board will take a newer version processor if a PC needs an upgrade in the future, so that would influence my thinking greatly.

on the matter of cost to remedy, I *suspect*, though have no proof of my feeling on this, that I could sell an unused motherboard with less of a price drop than I could an unused CPU.

Most of the 1150 motherboards are better specified for the price range .... or so it appears to me.

For instance this m/board is about €5 dearer than the purchased one and has USB 3 and SATA 3 as well as HDMI

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/179169/Sonderposten%3A+MSI+H81M-E33%2C+mATX%2C+Sockel+1150.article

That explains my reasoning I hope, but if future upgrade, USB 3, SATA 3 or HDMI are not factors for your application then my reasoning would not apply at all. ;)

Others around the same price as the one above
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/151628/ASRock+H81M-VG4%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/151627/ASRock+H81M-DGS+R2.0%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article

Thanks for the detailed reply !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Serephucus wrote: »
    I blame Intel for this one, to be honest. Whoever over there thought having a two different G3220 parts, using different sockets was a good idea should be shot. (Yes, there are 1155 and 1150 versions of the G3220.)

:confused:

I really don't think there is! The 1155 pentium's are G2xxx, the 1150 are G3xxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Guh, there's my lesson. Check specs before posting.

The chip I'm thinking of is the one in my server, and it's actually a (n Ivy Bridge) Core i3 3220. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Thanks for all the replies. I used the complaint function and went through the whole process, and it gave me a shipping label.

If I return them, and they decide I am not entitled to a refund, what happens then?

Can you not email them, explain what happened and ask what they can do before you send stuff off. Never used them so I don't know but I wouldn't send stuff back without knowing what will happen when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Where are you based ? I've a few spare Pentium G2030 (tray cpu, no fan) and I wouldn't mind doing a straight swap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If it was as new (ie unopened) pretty sure you can send anything bought online back within 7 days under EU distance selling regulations, even for a simple change of mind. You won't get the postage costs though. If opened it may well be a different story as they would have to sell it off as B grade stock.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Where are you based ? I've a few spare Pentium G2030 (tray cpu, no fan) and I wouldn't mind doing a straight swap.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately by the time I saw it I had already purchased alternatives from elara.

I am still going through the returns procedure with HVS. The return label I got wasn't the one I required for UPS, so I'm waiting for a proper one from HVS.

In the meantime I'm going to put them up on adverts and if I get close enough to what they cost me I'll take it.

Thanks for all the replies

Just an update, I returned them using the shipping label they gave me, received a full refund for all the processors, despite the fact that one had been opened. Very positive experience.

Advertisement