Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Sunday, so more victims: Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs

Options
  • 22-09-2008 6:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I guess they're not victims in the sense that AIG, Fannie/Freddie and Merrill were, but Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs today underwent a remarkable transformation.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the two venerable investment banks will become bank holding companies. The two entities will now fall under the purview of national bank regulators; capital requirements will change (increase!) and consequently, profits are likely to decline. Wall Street, as it has existed for scores of years, is no more. The signal here is that the industry was likely in a much worse condition than had been suspected.

I wonder what will happen next Sunday. This move alone would have been quite stunning had it occurred four weeks ago; however, today, it just seems like one more chapter in the unfolding saga of the housing mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

SoCal90046 wrote: »
    I guess they're not victims in the sense that AIG, Fannie/Freddie and Merrill were, but Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs today underwent a remarkable transformation.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the two venerable investment banks will become bank holding companies. The two entities will now fall under the purview of national bank regulators; capital requirements will change (increase!) and consequently, profits are likely to decline. Wall Street, as it has existed for scores of years, is no more. The signal here is that the industry was likely in a much worse condition than had been suspected.

I wonder what will happen next Sunday. This move alone would have been quite stunning had it occurred four weeks ago; however, today, it just seems like one more chapter in the unfolding saga of the housing mess.

Any chance you could dumb this down abit. Im very interested but dont understand fully!
    Stock mnarket gone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

Any chance you could dumb this down abit. Im very interested but dont understand fully!
    Stock mnarket gone??

The stock market's still there--unless you heard something!! :eek:

Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs were investment banks that didn't fall under the regulatory authority of the Federal Reserve: now they do. The range of products in which they can invest is now, likely, limited. They won't be able to invest in the risky sort of assets that once the mainstay of such banks.

But what does this meen for me?

But what does this meen for me?

My guess is nothing, unless you work for either of those two companies. Wall Street and the markets will function as usual.

My guess is nothing, unless you work for either of those two companies. Wall Street and the markets will function as usual.

My mate works for Goldman Sachs funnily enough. Will he get fired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Not because of this annoucement.

But they've fired loads already across all banks so no one is safe.

As for the news -

What a boring weekend! Sunday to Wednesday was great. Then it all ended! Oh well

My mate works for Goldman Sachs funnily enough. Will he get fired?

If margins in both firms shrink--something that's likely to happen--then there will be reduction in staffing levels; I would guess that there will be significant reductions in staffing levels, perhaps 15 to 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

it just seems like one more chapter in the unfolding saga of the housing mess.
    Not sure if it's only the housing mess that's putting this pressure on the investment banks. I think CDSs are an issue as well; we will see how AIG fares in the next few months. If it goes under all hell will break lose....

Not sure if it's only the housing mess that's putting this pressure on the investment banks. I think CDSs are an issue as well; we will see how AIG fares in the next few months. If it goes under all hell will break lose....

That's a great point; these collateralized instruments seem to have the potential to cause problems. We're definitely not out of the woods yet; frankly, I would be impressed if the US economy can get through this mess without suffering a protracted downturn somewhat similar to what occurred in 1981/82.

Advertisement