Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Soundcard?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Do you guys use one? I was sitting there last night thinking about upgrading bits n bobs and realised I still use my Audigy 2 which is now 12 years old give or take.

Having a quick look about there are now Asus cards etc but will I get any benefit from investing in one or is the Audigy 2 still good enough? I have 5.1 logitech speakers, nothing flash but they're old enough themselves now as well...

I've just been pondering whether or not sound has been getting progressively better but I just haven't noticed because of using old tech.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Having used a few dedicated cards myself - some old, some new - I've come to the conclusion that you're better off investing in speakers or headphones, rather than a sound card. You just get more for your money, to be honest, unless you want effects like stereo upmixing to surround or something.

I'm in the process of saving for a pair of passive speakers, new sub, and amplifier, to replace my Logitech Z906 set. Having had the change to hear a couple of different high-end sets, I don't think I'll be going back to "high-end" mainstream stuff.

TL;DR - It depends. What speakers/headphones are you currently using, and what are you using them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Gaming primarily which is why I put this is pc gaming initially.....

Speakers I currently have are logitech x530 which are in fact as old as the card.

EDIT: Don't use and probably wouldn't use headphones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Speakers haven't really improved much in the last 10 years. I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you intend to move up to a more expensive surround system. The other option is to forget about surround and get an external USB DAC and a pair of stereo studio monitors. That's what I use and they kick the pants off any computer speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have had the ASUS ROG Phoebus sound card
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-017-AS&groupid=701&catid=11

and the

ASUS xonar Essence STX http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-005-AS&groupid=701&catid=11

both are excellebt and do make a serious difference but you have to listen for the difference, while gaming you will notice a LOT more backround noise small things like richochets in shhoting games or dust falling and hitting the ground during exlosions . i love it it makes games really immersive . i use a headset gaming though purely because i cant have the noise in the house

Advertisement