Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus licence.

Options
  • 13-03-2012 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hello I never thought I would be starting a thread in this forum but anyway..

I want to get my Coach licence pretty soon. How do I go about it??? Do I need a theory test first?

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Yes, theory test first. That is one of the requirements for your category D learner permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Yes, theory test first. That is one of the requirements for your category D learner permit.

I just applied for that now and its wedensday week. Is the permit similar to a provisional???. Can I download the theory test book or must I buy it somewhere???

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I just applied for that now and its wedensday week. Is the permit similar to a provisional???. Can I download the theory test book or must I buy it somewhere???

Cheers..

Driving permit is the new name for provisional licence. It was changed few years ago. Except from what's actually written on the document, it looks pretty much the same as provisional licence used to look.

After you get your driving permit, you can apply for driving test.
    However note, that if you want to work as a driver in the future, in addition to your licence you will need "driver's CPC". To get this, before applying for a driving test, you need to pass two theory tests for Bus CPC (multiple choice and case studies). Each costs 70 quid. After you pass them you indicate with your driving test application, that you intend to take practical CPC test together with your driving test. This costs extra 30 quid or something, so total cost of your test will be about 150 + cost of bus rental, which might be another 150 or 200.

Also I don't know if you've driven any bigger vehicles so far, but if you didn't you will most likely need to take a good few hours of lessons.
    Overall cost of obtaining your D licence, most likely will exceed €1000 or even €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

CiniO wrote: »
    Also I don't know if you've driven any bigger vehicles so far, but if you didn't you will most likely need to take a good few hours of lessons.
    Overall cost of obtaining your D licence, most likely will exceed €1000 or even €2000.

Completely agree. I did the Rigid test (Very Similar to bus) about two years ago and with all the added exams CPC etc... It cost me about €1300. So it isn't cheap but it's worth it in the end Cinio so if you have the readies and the will by all means go for it!

Cheers folks I am getting the lessons for free so I only have to pay for the exams..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

YOu'll need to go get a medical corkie to apply for a learner permit I think, or seem to remember,.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Firstly, good luck in your theory test.

After you pass that, you'll need the following to apply for your Learner Permit
    Two identical passport photos, signed at the back by you.
    Completed eyesight report - Form D.502
    Completed medical report - Form D.501
    Your theory test certificate
    Your current B driving licence.
    Appropriate fee - €15 for a 2 year LP

Once you get the LP, you then have to pass:
    A Driver CPC multiple choice theory test
    A Driver CPC case study theory test
    The driving test
    A Driver CPC practical test

There's information about the CPC here, and also a few threads on this forum about it!

Good luck!

Firstly, good luck in your theory test.

After you pass that, you'll need the following to apply for your Learner Permit
    Two identical passport photos, signed at the back by you.
    Completed eyesight report - Form D.502
    Completed medical report - Form D.501
    Your theory test certificate
    Your current B driving licence.
    Appropriate fee - €15 for a 2 year LP

Once you get the LP, you then have to pass:
    A Driver CPC multiple choice theory test
    A Driver CPC case study theory test
    The driving test
    A Driver CPC practical test

There's information about the CPC here, and also a few threads on this forum about it!

Good luck!

Jesus thanks very much for all that info and the links its much appreciated..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

It took me 3 months start to finish to get the license due to being held up waiting for exam dates etc.

I would advise getting a few lessons and a pre-test. I got most of my driving experience free of charge but for proper tuition you do need a proper lesson from an instructor - I thought my driving was grand until I had a lesson - I just had to work on mirrors on the straight and picked the instructors brains about CPC practical and some of the notorious test routes.

Got through my test with a relatively clean marking sheet which might not have been the case had I not had the lesson and pre-test as it highlighted stuff I was overlooking.

macroman wrote: »
    It took me 3 months start to finish to get the license due to being held up waiting for exam dates etc.

I would advise getting a few lessons and a pre-test. I got most of my driving experience free of charge but for proper tuition you do need a proper lesson from an instructor - I thought my driving was grand until I had a lesson - I just had to work on mirrors on the straight and picked the instructors brains about CPC practical and some of the notorious test routes.

Got through my test with a relatively clean marking sheet which might not have been the case had I not had the lesson and pre-test as it highlighted stuff I was overlooking.

I am just wondering must I do those CPC exams as I have the courses done allready for the truck.

• Advertisement

I am just wondering must I do those CPC exams as I have the courses done allready for the truck.

I think they are different for the bus, tho' I could be corrected.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I think they are different for the bus, tho' I could be corrected.

You are right I just phoned the RSA..

You are right I just phoned the RSA..

it's bollox isn't it........:confused:

it's bollox isn't it........:confused:

I know and to make it worse I still must do 3 more CPC`s for the truck...:mad:

I just applied for both exams now at a cost of 140 quid. The theory test should be a doddle by the looks of it, I have got 40/40 for the last few tests..

I know and to make it worse I still must do 3 more CPC`s for the truck...:mad:

I just applied for both exams now at a cost of 140 quid. The theory test should be a doddle by the looks of it, I have got 40/40 for the last few tests..

yep, they are, i did them for me truck, and nailed them no bothers. You'll be grand.

yep, they are, i did them for me truck, and nailed them no bothers. You'll be grand.

I just passed the theory test earlier so I am happy out..

nice one, whats next ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Best of luck with it corkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Have my D&D1 licence almost 6 months and still no job.
    The easy bit is getting the licence, getting the job is a million times harder than any driving test :(
    Goodluck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    The easy bit is getting the licence, getting the job is a million times harder than any driving test :(
    Goodluck to you

Just dont give up. Im sure you will get a job in the not so far future.:)

• Advertisement

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    Goodluck to you

Chin up Jesus. The same applies for the Truck licence, It's all very well getting the licence but it's very hard to get the job without the experience and it's very hard to get the experience without the job!!

But isn't it better to have it than not? I think with the new rules next year regarding the bus test .i.e Raising the age to 24 and changing the cpc exams, I think there will be an abundance of jobs available with people not going to the expense of getting the licence. I mean it cost me €1600 to get my Truck Licence when I factored in Theory tests, CPC tests, lessons, test etc... and that was passing first time. I could only imagine how much it would of cost if I failed and had to re-take.

nice one, whats next ?

Cpc multiple choice next in 2 weeks. I just sent off my forms to the tax office earlier.

Btw I was late for my theory test last nite and was last to sit down. Only 2 lads got up before me and I had a look at the lad beside me when I was leaving and he was only on question 14...

good luck fella

good luck fella

95 correct it was a piece of cake...:D

Case studies is saturday week..

you are flying!

so then what, the practical? whats the waiting time for a test date?

you are flying!

so then what, the practical? whats the waiting time for a test date?

Practical then I have not applied yet but theres fek all waiting time according to them. If I have it for the Autumn I will be happy because I have a job got doing the continent.

Practical then I have not applied yet but theres fek all waiting time according to them. If I have it for the Autumn I will be happy because I have a job got doing the continent.

Good man. So you have a job offer when you pass?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Good man. So you have a job offer when you pass?

Yep doing tours on the continent..

Yep doing tours on the continent..

Great to hear good some good news for a change :)

• Advertisement

I have the case studies exam in the morning. Has anyone any ideas on questions they ask??

Cheers..

Advertisement