Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy maintenance garden

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:34pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.. I have a nice size back garden (no front garden) that is about 30 ft long, and about 15 wide. It's all grass and to be honest... I hate it!! But I don't know what to do with it because I dont have a clue when it comes to gardening!

I was thinking of doing something like lay that black plastic down, then cover with stones and some patio slabs, but How do I go about doing that with regards to getting rid of the grass? I genuinely have no clue :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you cover it totally in slabs and gravel it will quickly look very dingy and boring. The most important point in your plan though is that you must not cover the garden in plastic, you would end up with a lake. You need to use a weed-proof membrane that you can get from a diy store like Woodies or B&Q.

You would not be able to get a decent level working on top of the grass so you need to remove it. You could consider taking it up in sections a few inches deep and stacking it upside down as raised beds. Treat it with weedkiller then eventually cover with membrane and plant groundcover plants.

On the rest of the area I suggest you buy pea gravel rather than stones, it is easier to walk on, weed and rake (you will get a few weeds whatever you do, but they are easy to pull out). Look around for some in builders yards for some in a nice colour and buy it by the tonne, cheaper than bags. You will find you will have to top dress with more gravel after about 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

A crap job as you propose will detract from the value of the house.

You can do a nice no grass garden with slow growing shrubs and raised beds and some curved paths.

Is it really only 15" wide?

If you want real maintenance free go tarmac or concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Carlow52 wrote: »

You mean somebodies house in Ireland is actually worth something?:)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

looksee wrote: »
    If you cover it totally in slabs and gravel it will quickly look very dingy and boring. The most important point in your plan though is that you must not cover the garden in plastic, you would end up with a lake. You need to use a weed-proof membrane that you can get from a diy store like Woodies or B&Q.

You would not be able to get a decent level working on top of the grass so you need to remove it. You could consider taking it up in sections a few inches deep and stacking it upside down as raised beds. Treat it with weedkiller then eventually cover with membrane and plant groundcover plants.

On the rest of the area I suggest you buy pea gravel rather than stones, it is easier to walk on, weed and rake (you will get a few weeds whatever you do, but they are easy to pull out). Look around for some in builders yards for some in a nice colour and buy it by the tonne, cheaper than bags. You will find you will have to top dress with more gravel after about 12 months.
    Thanks Looksee, thats what I pretty mush want to do. And keep some grass at the bottom of the garden. But I like your idea of the raised beds etc. THanks a million for that!
    Well.. I never once proposed a crap job.. I invited suggestions as I admitted I am clueless.

Is it really only 15" wide?
    is what? Because I'm sure you mean inches there and if that was the case I must live in a shoebox.

If you want real maintenance free go tarmac or concrete
    Thanks but I already mentioned the stones and patio slabs which is where I want to take the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi chew chew looking at your post .nice little pond and waterfall with all the gravel and patio slabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I would be very reluctant to just concrete the entire area or put pebble everywhere. Although you'll have no real growth to worry about, you'll just end up with a big empty boring space.

A garden should be a usable space, like a room. Do you have kids that could use the garden as their play area on a sunny day, if so design it so they get a lot of physical exercise. Is there a particularly sunny spot where you could put some furniture and enjoy your Sunday lunch outside.

You can make a very usable garden that ads value to your life, but will not require a huge amount of effort or knowledge to maintain. Sit down and have a think about it, draw it out and imagine how you/your family could benefit from that big space in your home.

Advertisement