Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

mgn wrote: »
    Always being like that.I remember there was a small garage on a road i lived on 25+ Years ago my car was due an MOT called in and asked would he do the MOT some evening.He walked around the car went back into the garage and came back 5 minutes with a new MOT.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Would it be like that these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Would it be like that these days?

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/tackling-mot-fraud-protecting-us-from-unsafe-drivers-and-vehicles/

Still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can’t just walk around the car though; they have to log onto a computer and input the test results as they go!

Marcusm wrote: »
    Can’t just walk around the car though; they have to log onto a computer and input the test results as they go!

You could back then.No computers in small garages in the 90s and your MOT was just filled in by hand.Nowadays you have to have a car hooked up to a computer but not necessarily the car your giving the MOT to.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there a particular time that's best to look for VRT appointments on the site? Both dublin centres showing completely booked up, do they release times at a certain time / day of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    Is there a particular time that's best to look for VRT appointments on the site? Both dublin centres showing completely booked up, do they release times at a certain time / day of the week?

I've heard of people ringing the centres trying to get cancellations. I'd say everyone's trying to get appointments in before the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I booked yesterday and the earliest I could get was the 20th. Varied from 18th-26th depending on the centre. The scaremongering around Brexit (e.g. possible VAT on used cars from UK) is likely driving a surge as people have said.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I booked yesterday and the earliest I could get was the 20th. Varied from 18th-26th depending on the centre. The scaremongering around Brexit (e.g. possible VAT on used cars from UK) is likely driving a surge as people have said.
    Was this one of the Dublin centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

awec wrote: »

Tuesdays they release dates for 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the possibly clueless post.

I put a deposit down with a dealer for a UK imported car (no plates) about 9 days ago. Dealer was sound, car itself seems fine and the checks all work out. They told me it would just take 'a few days' to get the registration done so I can insure it. All they're giving me is vague reassurances that it'll all be sorted soon and that as it's a petrol car, it's taking longer?!

Going by some posts here, I'm presuming that this kind of delay is nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

If I purchase a car in the uk before the 29th of March, and don’t get a booking till after that date, will there be vat added?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The car has already had vat paid in the EU, so there should be no additional vat.

But the thing with brexit is if they crash out with no deal, no one knows what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Hi all,

I put a deposit down with a dealer for a UK imported car (no plates) about 9 days ago. Dealer was sound, car itself seems fine and the checks all work out. They told me it would just take 'a few days' to get the registration done so I can insure it. All they're giving me is vague reassurances that it'll all be sorted soon and that as it's a petrol car, it's taking longer?!

Going by some posts here, I'm presuming that this kind of delay is nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

The dealer has to make a VRT appointment the same as the private person so can take time. If the garage has a TAN number (which it should have if it's selling a UK car) it can have a car pre inspection done at the VRT office so the car can be registered in your name at their garage. Either car is just into stock and has to wait for appointment or did not avail of the pre inspection. No need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Esel wrote: »
    NB: It is not AND, it is OR.

Under 6 months old OR less than 6000 km.

It says "OR" on the Ros.ie web site making it sound like it's either 1 or the other but I think if the car falls under 1 of them, its a new means of transport. Looking at a 2017 Tucson with 3,000 mile's (4,800 Km's) so this is still regarded a new means of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

masit wrote: »
    The dealer has to make a VRT appointment the same as the private person so can take time. If the garage has a TAN number (which it should have if it's selling a UK car) it can have a car pre inspection done at the VRT office so the car can be registered in your name at their garage. Either car is just into stock and has to wait for appointment or did not avail of the pre inspection. No need to worry.

Thanks a mil!

bod71 wrote: »
    If I purchase a car in the uk before the 29th of March, and don’t get a booking till after that date, will there be vat added?

The date of importation is the relevant date. Not the date of purchase or VRT appointment.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    The car has already had vat paid in the EU, so there should be no additional vat.

But the thing with brexit is if they crash out with no deal, no one knows what is happening.

Once the U.K. leaves the E.U. or the end of any transition period, VAT will be chargeable irrespective of whether VAT was paid and it was registered in the E.U. this is clear, it is not unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Hi Guys, Just imported a Mercedes SLK from north, paid the mercedes VRT, now tried to tax it and it's on the database as a Mazda. Whats the best way to get this rectified? Back to VRT office, via motortax.ie, via local (limerick county council) motor tax office? Anyone have this issue previously?

Regards, Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Anyone have any recent quotes/recommendations for getting a car transported from the UK? Car is in Kent & need it brought to Dublin

Tax is out & not worth taxing or running the gauntlet on such a long journey

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

bf wrote: »
    Anyone have any recent quotes/recommendations for getting a car transported from the UK? Car is in Kent & need it brought to Dublin

Tax is out & not worth taxing or running the gauntlet on such a long journey
    Ide say about €350

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aidymitch

Hey Probbaly asked before...
    But when I'm on the vrt calculator site there are literally 3 identical versions of my car under the same make, model, engine size, door, transmission. E.g. Version "118bhp 4dr" is listed 3 times.

If I select each one there is a massive swing in vrt cost from €900 to €1800.
    Seems to be a different depreciation code used for each in the results.
    How do I, or even the revenue, decide which one to chose when all selections are 100% identical?
    obviously I'd go for the cheapest!

Thanks

• Advertisement

Aidymitch wrote: »
    But when I'm on the vrt calculator site there are literally 3 identical versions of my car under the same make, model, engine size, door, transmission. E.g. Version "118bhp 4dr" is listed 3 times.

How do I, or even the revenue, decide which one to chose when all selections are 100% identical?

Thanks

Select the one with identical emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aidymitch

Select the one with identical emissions.

Thanks. The dearest one and cheapest one have identical emissions. That match v5 form. The middle one is different...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Aidymitch wrote: »

Thanks

Select the cheapest one and keep a copy of the printout for future evidence. The adjusted OMSP should be reasonably close to what dealers are selling them at. If it's way off you might be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

masit wrote: »
    It says "OR" on the Ros.ie web site making it sound like it's either 1 or the other but I think if the car falls under 1 of them, its a new means of transport. Looking at a 2017 Tucson with 3,000 mile's (4,800 Km's) so this is still regarded a new means of transport.

The mileage on the date you present the vehicle at NCTS is what matters. So you've 30 days to get it up to 6000km:)!

The mileage on the date you present the vehicle at NCTS is what matters. So you've 30 days to get it up to 6000km:)!

If they have any cop on they should be looking at the mileage on any invoice and questioning any discrepancy. The. VAT relates to the mileage when it rolls across the border.

If they have any cop on they should be looking at the mileage on any invoice and questioning any discrepancy. The. VAT relates to the mileage when it rolls across the border.

Is it not enough to have to pay VRT without having to pay VAT to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it does but no one assesses the mileage until it is VRTd

Isambard wrote: »
    it does but no one assesses the mileage until it is VRTd

That’s because it’s been outsourced to NCTS. If the documents are ever scrutinised by Revenue, questions may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

but no one will know what the mileage is until it's inspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

There's long delays with some higher end / newer /older & vehicles not on the system coming back with prices from revenue.(some taking upto 4 weeks. CVO have huge backlogs atm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement