Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky + and phone line

Options
  • 25-05-2004 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

i intend getting a sky+ box from uk as I already have a uK sub and dont want to arouse suspicion by getting a box sourced here.

(i) Can i get away without the phone line connection?

(ii) will i have hassle gettting the card married to the new sky+ box from my old digibox?

(iii) will i be able to get the dual recording facilities without the box having to call back?

(iv) will software updates be affected by not having it connected to a UK line?

the sky + terms say it has to be connected for a year to a Uk phoneline even tho I am paying £199 stg for the box. Is this being enforced?

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

You shouldn't have any problems really. I assume that you are going to install it yourself. I don't think sky are too fussy about having the sky+ box connected to the phone once your initial year (of your original box) is up. The only drawbacks are (1) you won't be able to record from RTÉ1, Net 2, TV3 or TG4 (small drawback) and (2) you will not be able to get a mirror subscription for the old box as it and the main box have to be connected to a fixed phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I have been following this thread here and the conclusion that it seems to be coming to is:

- Clause re. phone line requirement is still in contract
    - Sky allowing some retailers to sign up customers with 'opt out' re. the phone line requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Sky+ is different as you buy the box. The free digibox has more stringent conditions regarding the phone connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Got +box sent from England to Madrid. Got family memver in Ireland to ring Sky. Said that they weren't at home at the time but could Sky marry up the card anyway. The person at Sky said initally there was some problem, didn't specify, and went to ask a superior. Within 10 minutes everything was working fine including dual record.

I can only imagine that the person on the phone saw that the 'installation' was a non Sky agent one, and just went to check all was OK.

Quite a few people have Sky + abroad so there is no reason why you should have a problem once you or someone you know rings from a British phone, preferably I imagine the phone to which the contact was initally linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I installed my own Sky+ box and they never asked who wes doing the installation, apart from ehen I rang up initially to order a mirror card for my old box. The operater,on hearing that I had already ordered a box, said had I arranged an installation and I simply said yes.

Once you are having an existing active card married to a new Sky+ box, there are no problems at all,wheither it is connected to a line or not.

Its only a new sub or mirror subs that open the whole phoneline quandry.

Software updates are carried out over air and have nothing to do with the phoneline

• Advertisement
Advertisement