Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Main sins of Irish drivers

• 15-11-2012 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭

These are as seen by a foreigner

1. not respecting red lights (!!!)
    2. not using adequate lights
    3. speeding at dangerous roads
    4. taming traffic at fast lanes
    5. not using indicators
    6. not respecting cyclists and pedestrians
    7. stopping anywhere anytime

Much of it is part of Irish custom, I think, and probably is not even noticed (like point 1 - this is a serious offence, and one should lose driving lincense on the spot)

This is not to say that they are all bad, or there is no positives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

markas wrote: »
    1. not respecting red lights (!!!)
    2. not using adequate lights
    3. speeding at dangerous roads
    4. taming traffic at fast lanes
    5. not using indicators
    6. not respecting cyclists and pedestrians
    7. stopping anywhere anytime
    8. Referring to roads as "dangerous". Roads are not dangerous but road users can be!
    9. Referring to overtaking lanes as "fast lanes"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

The main sins of irish drivers are, not knowing how to use roundabouts and hogging the overtaking lane on motorways and duel carriageways. All of your points (with the exception of the cyclist and pedestrians part) are true but not to the extent of the two above.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Mmm... I don't see Irish drivers as being that different to drivers in other countries! The sins you listed are all too common everywhere.

I guess my biggest complaints would be the parking (cars parking anywhere & everywhere) and people being a little over courteous (letting people out when there is a queue of traffic waiting to get through at the lights/round-about).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The real sins are not from Irish drivers but those responsible for enforcing the rules. People get away with breaking red lights, driving in whatever lane they feel like, speeding passed cyclists leaving no safety gap and never any consequences. If drivers got fined or taught they might you would see a change in behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

8. Referring to roads as "dangerous". Roads are not dangerous but road users can be!
    9. Referring to overtaking lanes as "fast lanes"!

By dangerous roads I mean:
    - most of country roads with speed limit 80 and 100 km/h (regardless of real road layout and surfuce condition, extremaly poor visibility on crossings, lack of sidewalks or any safety buffer to the wall)
    - many of exit roads from motorways (including the new built on M50, where a driver is forced to reduce from 100 to 30 in no time and without warning, normally such roads cannot be classified as motorways or allowed higher speed than 80)

By fast lanes I mean any roads with low speed limit 50km/h (motorways, dual carriage ways - by the way, stopping there for waste disposal or any other purpose should not be allowed!)

I could not find it in traffic regulations, but I suspect there is a rule that one should drive with speed adequate to traffic and road conditions, what in Ireland means: drive slow on 4-6 lane roads and as fast as your vehicle can on 4m narrow and curvy country road. Bizzare.

Edit: I do not know what is an 'overtaking lane'. I only know that Irish have aversion to overtaking so building designeted lanes for this purpose may be a waste of public founds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

markas wrote: »
    By fast lanes I mean any roads with low speed limit 50km/h (motorways, dual carriage ways
    There are no lower speed limits on Irish roads. You may be confusing that with the regulation regarding suitability of vehicles for motorways which states that a vehicle must have an internal combustion engine and be capable of travelling at 50kph.

You're making a lot of generalisations regarding Irish drivers. The same could be said of any nationality. I was hospitalised recently following an accident caused by a totally incompetent driver from an Eastern European country. However, I don't assume that all drivers from that country are poor drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Rubbish parking and indicating on roundabouts. There's a special place in hell for all those who don't indicate properly or at all on roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Parking. Seemingly yellow lines are negated by hazard lights or proximity to your intended destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Common the world over but leaving the fogs lights on all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd probably say the biggest failings on Irish drivers in general are lane discipline (not just on motorways, but using right-turn lanes to skip the traffic or using bus lanes as queuing lanes, etc), parking, and mechanical skill - checking/using lights, proper gearing, proper braking, etc.

We don't drive particularly fast or dangerously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

From what I can see in my short time on the roads, around 60% of drivers are guilty of one of 3 things: tailgating, impatients, and speeding.

Maybe it's just a lack of caution which comes with experience for a lot of drivers, but I have lost count of the amount of times I've been on an 80kmh road and had another driver no more than a few feet from my bumper.

Or, I will be approaching a change up in speed and have someone overtake me before the sign (is this not the most dangerous time to overtake as I am just in the process of putting my foot down?)

It's also a mystery of driving for me how a car from behind can get closer to me even though I'm doing a constant maximum speed for the road im on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ranjo wrote: »
    Parking. Seemingly yellow lines are negated by hazard lights or proximity to your intended destination.

When you want to park or pull over in a stupid location your hazard lights are called park anywhere you like lights.

There are no lower speed limits on Irish roads. You may be confusing that with the regulation regarding suitability of vehicles for motorways which states that a vehicle must have an internal combustion engine and be capable of travelling at 50kph.

Whatever call it, I hope it is not read as recommended. This speed is very dangerous on a motorway.

You're making a lot of generalisations regarding Irish drivers. The same could be said of any nationality. I was hospitalised recently following an accident caused by a totally incompetent driver from an Eastern European country. However, I don't assume that all drivers from that country are poor drivers.

Yes, this is generalization, with focus on negatives. I hesitated on using 'Irish drivers' phrase, but for the sake of brevity... In fact, 'Irish drivers' should be understood now as including Eastern Europeans, Nigerians and whoever you find here... (btw, note, that diproportional percentage of professional drivers are of non-Irish origin)

The post is more directed to learners - I am not sure what of these points are actually taught and what sins inhered..

Advertisement