Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden from Scratch!

Options
  • 09-04-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Just looking for advice and tips if possible.
    I've been living in my house now about 4 years (new build) and have not yet done my garden. The area is approx 3/4 of an acre with quite a steep bank behind the house. Had planned initially to get it done professionally however this is no longer an option, bank wont give top-up etc.
    I have already had it kerbed and to be fair its reasonably level-ish. Fairly overgrown though as im sure you can imagine after four years. I have had it sprayed a few times but never had it turned or rotivated.
    Basically if somebody can help and guide me through the step by step process of how to prepare and plant a lawn and advice on tackling the steep hill area i would be grateful. Cost advice would be helpful too as I have no idea how much I'm looking at here.

Regards,
    Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Dee,

Perfect time of the year for this work, but before any specific advice could be given on costings etc you would need to mention what portion of the 3/4 acre you want as a lawn. Assuming it is at least half then there really is no option but to get some machinery in here, it needs to be dug/rotovated and made weed free before being levelled and seeds planted. For the steep area I am assuming this is not to be part of the lawn so you are looking at some trees/shrubs. Would it be possibel to post pictures here?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi dee .any photos of the garden so we can give you some imfo yours mal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Some photos would be handy we could see the area and give advice then.

There is also a great website www.garden.ie- join them and you will get great help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a lawn you want, or are you looking for other ideas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dee94 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for advice and tips if possible.
    I've been living in my house now about 4 years (new build) and have not yet done my garden. The area is approx 3/4 of an acre with quite a steep bank behind the house. Had planned initially to get it done professionally however this is no longer an option, bank wont give top-up etc.
    I have already had it kerbed and to be fair its reasonably level-ish. Fairly overgrown though as im sure you can imagine after four years. I have had it sprayed a few times but never had it turned or rotivated.
    Basically if somebody can help and guide me through the step by step process of how to prepare and plant a lawn and advice on tackling the steep hill area i would be grateful. Cost advice would be helpful too as I have no idea how much I'm looking at here.

Regards,
    Dee

I would suggest either contacting a local garden designer who should give you some cheap advice or a plan so you can do the work.
    Or go along to this years "Bloom in the Park". You will have a great day out, see some lovely gardens to inspire you and also get the chance to talk to some designers.

Also take a look at the BBC garden website, buy a book or two
    (Alan Titchmarsh does great books for beginners)

http://www.alantitchmarsh.com/index.htm?ac=C3ZFC-D

Good luck

http://bloominthepark.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement