Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat 500 anyone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have been onsale for almost 6 months now and I have yet to see one on the road. Are they selling at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

EUROPEAN CAR OF THE YEAR 2008! Haven't seen any myself. Came across it when I was browsing Carzone!

EUROPEAN CAR OF THE YEAR 2008! Haven't seen any myself. Came across it when I was browsing Carzone!

Not arguing that they are not a good car just haven't seen any actually on the road here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I've seen a couple in recent weeks.
    the colour of that one does it no favours in terms of looks.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Have seen a few about, funny enough I've only seen them on the northside???

Think there classic lookin! If was gettinh small town car reckon would be temped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

are they not worth the money?

The oily bits are all from the Panda, so do a model-for-model comparison to see if the added style is worth the extra cash.

A 150bhp Abarth model is coming, too, which should be a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have seen a few on the road - lots in Europe, they wont sell well here because people have no real nostalgia towards the original which make it popular in europe and stupid loyalty to Jap crap which means they'd rather buy a second hand p.o.s. of the Japanese scrap heap than something made more locally !

There not a bad little drive at all I believe (from road tests I have read) - the 1.4 and diesel are the better option from what I read.

they've got to be better than the alternative Yaris or some crap ! don't they

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're in quite short supply in Ireland hence the lack of them. I've test driven one and I'm keeping my Panda - I'm too damn big to fit in a 500 comfortably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I personally think they look like a smaller version of the Nissan Micra.

The white or red are the nicest colours imo:

5AAB47CF-B10A-7B37-10675919F735267F.jpg
    56DA6654-FCEB-D4AB-882764929F2C10B2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I personally think they look like a smaller version of the Nissan Micra.

I'd put that down more to Nissan taking styling cues from the original 500 than Fiat taking it from the K12 Micra - remember the Figaro looked like an old Fiat also, they've been there before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I like the black, too, but there's a nice brown leather trim which really needs a British Racing Green paintjob, and Fiat don't have one. I don't think it suits banana yellow, though:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/500/1.4-Sport/1027637/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dunno about the outside of them..

Interior is lovely though, really retro with the dials.
    I'd say they're a good car from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Nice little car but has a large price tag, I think it's very expensive for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I passed one the other day and thought it was a new model Nissan Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Fiat 500 gets 4.5 stars out of 5 from Parkers.

For Equipment and Behind-the-wheel, it gets 4.5/5
    Performance and Handling 4/5
    Comfort is only 3/5 but I imagine that's for very tall and/or 'larger' people and long journeys :)

Read the review yourself, there's pages of it on the site :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Tad Expensive for not much car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Took a test drive in a 1.4 litre Sport and didn't like it at all. The engine was really coarse. Didn't like the interior fabrics either - fake tweed type pattern.
    The 1.2 litre Popular spec will probably be the sweeter engine and the interior fabrics are much nicer.
    The 1.4 litre was quite jiggly on the road too so I think smaller wheels on the Popular spec would be more comfortable to live with.
    It's near impossible to get in to the back of these cars and there is little leg room once there. The boot is very small too.

Took a test drive in an '05 1.1 litre Panda two days later and really liked it.
    a more acceptable boot space. Nice high driving position, sweeter enginer, the rear seats were roomy and accessible.

The Panda is the better car, the 500 is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

only seen one on the N7 at Naas the other morning in the navy blue colour. Smaller than I was expecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The Fiat 500 gets 4.5 stars out of 5 from Parkers.

For Equipment and Behind-the-wheel, it gets 4.5/5
    Performance and Handling 4/5
    Comfort is only 3/5 but I imagine that's for very tall and/or 'larger' people and long journeys :)

Read the review yourself, there's pages of it on the site :)

Thanks, already read 'Honest John's' one. Very similar. As they're only new would I be better waiting until the new year to see if I could bag a bargain? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Nice car to drive i thought. Feels bigger and more solid than it looks. The one you have picked out there is a bit overpriced though. They are €16800 Brand new for that spec and engine. (On the road)

Thanks, already read 'Honest John's' one. Very similar. As they're only new would I be better waiting until the new year to see if I could bag a bargain? :)

I've always preferred Parkers because even the trade go by their used prices (in the UK anyway :)) but Honest John is good too.

As for waiting until next year, yes there will be good bargains but you could also try buying an ex-demo model from a Fiat dealer. Either one will save you money on the full-price new model but an ex-demo model will have been well looked after and valeted properly as well as (hopefully) having fewer miles/Kilometres on the clock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I was thinking the same way but the dealers have no discount to give on them which is the problem. HonestJohn mentioned they only get £600 on them in the UK.
    I'm thinking that the diesel and 1.2 litre will be cheaper to import from the UK nearly new.
    6 months old with an OMSP which is 10% below Retail price and then at least 5% knocked off the OMSP when it is 6 months old due to it being classified second-hand and no VAT to pay. VRT will be only 14%
    the rough calculations I've done I see you being able to import one of these for 2K less than the price of a similiar car on the Irish market which is good considering they're only a supermini.
    time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

Tad Expensive for not much car....

It's all relative though, an Audi A3 is a bit expensive compared to an almost identical VW Golf or the Seat Leon etc.

Also I think that any Ferarri is a bit expensive for not much car...simply because I value boot space and fuel economy. A Ferarri may be fast but it's rubbish on those attributes :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Wonder what depreciation will be like on these, the Panda and Punto are both big depreciators but retro cars like the 500 seem to hold value very well - hard to know which way it will go....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd love to have one myself :)
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    they wont sell well here because people have no real nostalgia towards the original

Interesting point. I guess back in the 50s and 60s when families on the continent were buying their first ever cars, people here still made do with donkeys and carts :D

Advertisement