Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinsale pale ale and black IPA in Dunnes

Options
  • 13-09-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Good or bad thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

More available can only be a good thing, I just hope the treat the IPA right. As a hoopy beer like that should be cold stored not on a shelf at 18+ c.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

oblivious wrote: »
    More available can only be a good thing, I just hope the treat the IPA right. As a hoopy beer like that should be cold stored not on a shelf at 18+ c.

Very few off-licences can cold store cases of beer. It was on ambient shelving in Dunnes Donaghmede tonight. The independents will be pissed off that kinsale are in Dunnes. However if the brewery can produce more than the independents can take- the brewery has to find other outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

It's Great thing. Can't wait for their cans to hit the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Of course it's a good thing, the more craft seen on mainstream shelves the better for everyone,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

€2.85 per bottle in Dunnes v €3.40 in drinkstore so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Provided it doesn't affect quality of the product then it can only be a good thing. The more craft you can get in more places is always good, same way that it's great to start seeing O'Haras selling in the spar off licenses

Cold storage is not likely to happen, I work in a Dunnes off licence. The fridges we have are supplied by the big boys, Heineken, Diageo etc. They are not fond of us putting other products in their fridges! I'd love to get a fridge in for craft beers but no one wants to pay for one. The kinsale beers are flying off the shelf since we got them in three weeks ago. Could just be a cork thing though as the locally produced drinks are by far the most popular in our craft section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RasTa wrote: »
    €2.85 per bottle in Dunnes v €3.40 in drinkstore so....

€3.59 in my local SuperValu, hello Dunnes!

BMJD wrote: »

Its a very good price :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BMJD wrote: »

When it comes to alcohol, their name is a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was pleasantly surprised to see it on sale in my local Dunnes the other day. I always walk by the "craft beer" section whenever I'm there to see if they have anything different, which they very seldom do.

I wonder if they've cut their margin to try and get the "brand" out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I wasn’t aware that hoppy beers needed to be stored at lower temperatures. I’ve always kept mine in the cellar (12-14°C roughly) and they’ve been fine, although I’ve rarely kept them longer than six months.
    Having written that though, maybe they lost a bit of their hoppiness and I haven’t have noticed, as I buy a lot of one-off beers, so have no frame of reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Cold storage is not likely to happen, I work in a Dunnes off licence. The fridges we have are supplied by the big boys, Heineken, Diageo etc. They are not fond of us putting other products in their fridges! I'd love to get a fridge in for craft beers but no one wants to pay for one. The kinsale beers are flying off the shelf since we got them in three weeks ago. Could just be a cork thing though as the locally produced drinks are by far the most popular in our craft section.

But fridges arent needed for success. Unless something has absolutely has to be refrigerated, it isnt refrigerated in Germany. You can go into Getraenkemarkt, where beer and other drinks are sold in Germany and not a single thing is in a fridge. Likewise most supermarkets might have only have a single beer in the fridge(in the same Lidl doesnt chill drinks here).

But I find drinks in fridges in Ireland, 90% of the time arent chilled enough to drink straight out of the fridge

hfallada wrote: »
    But fridges arent needed for success. Unless something has absolutely has to be refrigerated, it isnt refrigerated in Germany. You can go into Getraenkemarkt, where beer and other drinks are sold in Germany and not a single thing is in a fridge. Likewise most supermarkets might have only have a single beer in the fridge(in the same Lidl doesnt chill drinks here).

And Germany is not know for its west coast american IPA's, citrusy hop aroma can deteriorate quite fast under poor storage cobditions.

If you want American hop aroma, refrigeration is best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

And Germany is not know for its west coast american IPA's, citrusy hop aroma can deteriorate quite fast under poor storage cobditions.

If you want American hop aroma, refrigeration is best

Lovely beer, and great price too. But does heavier hopping, and stronger alcohol content (5%) not help better preserve the beer?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

donaghs wrote: »
    Lovely beer, and great price too. But does heavier hopping, and stronger alcohol content (5%) not help better preserve the beer?

It'll help preserve the beer in terms of shelf life but the hop aroma will still fade so it's always best to enjoy hoppier beers as fresh as possible.

Advertisement