Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

depends on how you are listening too

With my ears, mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If JDW make a go of Tonic in Blackrock then good luck to them. Dealing purely with the local scene, you currently have Cafe Java (coffee shop with a snack food menu), Jack O'Rourke's (traditional bar with pub food menu) and on the main street there's also an Insomnia and an Eddie Rockett.

At the top of the tree in the area there's Ouzos (cheapest main: fish 'n chips €13.95) where the Mad Hatter used to be, be across the road from Tonic.

I wish them well and look forward to a place that serves good food with no muzak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

LordSutch wrote: »
    Which begs the question, if real Cask Ale can travel from GB to NI, then surely it can travel here? which I guess it will do in the short term.

Long term, I do hope the local Irish cask ales take off at the Wetherspoon pumps too . . .

A number of craft breweries do, it probably come down to price with spoons and bulk buying. But it would be great if they did more irish cask ale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Northern Ireland is part of the UK so importing alcohol to Belfast or Derry isn't an issue. Bringing it into Dublin will become an issue as excise duty's will have be levied; it isn't a matter of a truck with kegs and bottles arriving in from Holyhead.
    No real issue, its sold so cheap abroad its definitely worthwhile. I wonder if others are already at it.

Sunday business post ~2010
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

JDW is getting one pub in a village outside Dublin and you'd swear they suddenly will take over every single pub in the country (although it may be their ultimate goal already having 900 pubs in UK, Dublin would fit right in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If Diageo Ireland can slash their prices to Aviva they might now have to do the same for ordinary publicans once JDW get a foothold. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

biko wrote: »
    JDW is getting one pub in a village outside Dublin and you'd swear they suddenly will take over every single pub in the country (although it may be their ultimate goal already having 900 pubs in UK, Dublin would fit right in).

Irish Times says its up to 30 pubs

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/british-chain-wetherspoon-set-to-open-up-to-30-pubs-in-ireland-1.1527271

biko wrote: »

30 with 3 to 4 thus year alone and its already mid September. Them means they are putting in massive funding and supllie chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, the initial article just mentioned one. 30 is a hell of a lot of pubs alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If Diageo Ireland can slash their prices to Aviva they might now have to do the same for ordinary publicans once JDW get a foothold. :)

Might nothing.

Ordinary publicans don't have the individual pull that the Aviva or JDW would.

And VFI and IVF do **** all to try to help, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Might nothing.

Ordinary publicans don't have the individual pull that the Aviva or JDW would.

And VFI and IVF do **** all to try to help, to be honest.

Well they work for the publicans so surely it's up to the publicans to look into getting better representation if what they've got isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

coylemj wrote: »
    If JDW make a go of Tonic in Blackrock then good luck to them. Dealing purely with the local scene, you currently have Cafe Java (coffee shop with a snack food menu), Jack O'Rourke's (traditional bar with pub food menu) and on the main street there's also an Insomnia and an Eddie Rockett.

At the top of the tree in the area there's Ouzos (cheapest main: fish 'n chips €13.95) where the Mad Hatter used to be, be across the road from Tonic.

I wish them well and look forward to a place that serves good food with no muzak.

Ouzo's isn't across the road (well, not literally anyway), it's up the main street a bit.
    Is the place across the road still called Sheehan's? Used to be a great spot 10 years ago but was really a shadow of its former self the last time I was there (Christmas 2011).

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well they work for the publicans so surely it's up to the publicans to look into getting better representation if what they've got isn't working.

Yep, group buying would help their cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rubadub wrote: »

Any example of these UK companies? i.e. ones who are genuinely recognized as being a decent % cheaper than their other UK competitors? not just ones who say they are cheap in marketing, which is loads (e.g. I certainly would not include the likes of tesco).

Why would you not include Tesco ? because it doesnt suit your arguement? is that why. Ha!

Its a fact of irish retailing that when you bring something to market over here the irish will pay more for it. Any UK and European companies recognise that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rubadub wrote: »
    No real issue, its sold so cheap abroad its definitely worthwhile. I wonder if others are already at it.

Sunday business post ~2010
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.

You proved my point with this post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It looks like Greene King are also sniffing around the Irish market

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/two-more-uk-pub-chains-may-buy-into-dublin-1.1529745

Interesting they are looking for large places with car parks .

I instantly think of the FoxHunter in Lucan which is very much available I am sure must suburbs have similar premises .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Rather than the response of pubs close b y, or the LVA / VFI, I am more interested in the response of the suppliers to the possible arrival of UK pub chains in Ireland.

Davidth88 wrote: »

I instantly think of the FoxHunter in Lucan which is very much available I am sure must suburbs have similar premises .

West and north side of Dublin suburbs have massive opportunity for these company's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oblivious wrote: »
    West and north side of Dublin suburbs have massive opportunity for these company's

I wonder where you are talking about in North Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I can definitely see swords as a good location for Witherspoon's or other UK chain.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Why would you not include Tesco ? because it doesnt suit your arguement? is that why. Ha!
    On the contrary, it perfectly suits my argument. Tesco are not recognised as a supermarket which is significantly cheaper than the others in the UK, and over here they seem to be positioned about the same, i.e. they were not seen as a significantly cheap or expensive supermarket. My point came about from this comment

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What makes people think that their price point will remain low in Blackrock?!?

which was explained perfectly here
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Because that is their entire business model, why would they move here and just throw their modus operandi out the window? It makes no sense.

So again I would welcome any example of some UK companies who did significantly change their business model & position in the market here. Tesco certainly did not, or do you actually think they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Zaph wrote: »
    I was in a couple in Derry, and whatever about the range of beers there, the lack of atmosphere made them some of the grimmest places I've ever drunk in.

It's the lack of music. Never noticed it until a friend pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Caliden wrote: »
    It's the lack of music. Never noticed it until a friend pointed it out.

I love the lack of music. It's a great bar to have a conversation with friends in. No loud music forcing you to roar everything. It's a great place for a few before going out.

Artane Beaumont and Coolock, would come to mind, if a premise came up for or was willing to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

I love the lack of music. It's a great bar to have a conversation with friends in. No loud music forcing you to roar everything. It's a great place for a few before going out.

The lack of music is fine. Personally I don't say that is a bad thing and wetherspoons do serve a purpose in the UK. they tend to be meeting places. but they are soulless and vacuous. they always feel like hotel receptions. they do have a good rage of beer and that is a great thing.

I think they will enhance the Dublin scene as long as they remain in low numbers. One of the great things about pub nightlife in Dublin is that there aren't any chain bars. Go to any UK city and they tend to be carbon copies of one another and lack character in all but a few pubs and bars. Dublin isn't afflicted by this, partially because it knows how to create atmosphere in pubs but partally because every pub is different.

I ould hate to see a proliferation of UK chain pubs and the likes of wetherspoons, Chicago rock, revolution, greene king etc etc turn it into an identikit toy town like most other UK cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I live in the UK and have been in plenty of weatherspoons in both nice spots and bad spots. The one in York was loverely. The one in grimsby a kip. In that regard i am not worried about the negative impact of weatherspoons in Ireland. Money will talk and with the price being cheap and food and drink good value i welcome it. The beer is always lovely and if they start using Irish brewers all the better. Give some rip off publicans and diagio a fright and some incentive to be competitive and good for the punter. Win win for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ouzo's isn't across the road (well, not literally anyway), it's up the main street a bit.
    Is the place across the road still called Sheehan's? Used to be a great spot 10 years ago but was really a shadow of its former self the last time I was there (Christmas 2011).

It's called South 1 now, been open three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

coylemj wrote: »

I would consider Dali's higher up the chain to Ouzos.

In fact your knowledge of the local scene is poor. There are 7 licensed restaurants in blackrock village and 8 pubs of which 5 serve food. Coffee shops and takeaways total 9 and there is the wine/tapas bar in the market.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    It's called South 1 now, been open three weeks.

Don't know the area, don't know the pub/bar in question, but any place called 'South 1' sounds like it's so far up its own arse it'll disappear. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

Will the new minimum alcohol pricing laws effect the price of drink at these soon to be Weatherspoon outlets? Surely that would make them re-consider setting up here? Still though, would be nice to have a variety of lager and ale options as opposed to bud, miller and all that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

JK91 wrote: »
    Will the new minimum alcohol pricing laws effect the price of drink at these soon to be Weatherspoon outlets? Surely that would make them re-consider setting up here? Still though, would be nice to have a variety of lager and ale options as opposed to bud, miller and all that crap.

I doubt it. These policies are to target off licences.

JK91 wrote: »
    Will the new minimum alcohol pricing laws effect the price of drink at these soon to be Weatherspoon outlets?
    I would say their cheapest pint will be well above the minimum. This min cost thing is not % based like VAT or something.

That's even if that law can get passed, it was stopped in scotland as its illegal.

If anything the ban would be of benefit to wetherspoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

liffeylite wrote: »
    One of the great things about pub nightlife in Dublin is that there aren't any chain bars.

Not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not true.

Such as?

There are groups, i.e. a number of pubs owned by the same party but to me a 'chain' would be a group that all have the same identity / design.

EDIT: I suppose Gilbert & Wright would fit, there's a couple of them isn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Doesnt make a difference if they are chains or not if they all sell exactly the same products at the same price.

Theres no end of small to medium towns in Ireland in which every pub is practically identical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Porterhouse, Galway Bay Brewery, L. Mulligan Grocer -- all have as much in common between their outlets as JD Wetherspoon does.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The existence of a chain pub shouldn't affect your enjoyment of another pub, if you don't like Wetherspoons just go to a different bar. I don't see how it will ruin the Dublin nightlife for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

irish_goat wrote: »
    The existence of a chain pub shouldn't affect your enjoyment of another pub, if you don't like Wetherspoons just go to a different bar. I don't see how it will ruin the Dublin nightlife for you.

Absolutely

There are plenty of places in Dublin that are awful & would ruin my night if I ventured in. Hence I don't go to them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

The Examiner today suggests they are thinking of moving into Cork and have a venue in Paul's St. in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

yknaa wrote: »
    The Examiner today suggests they are thinking of moving into Cork and have a venue in Paul's St. in mind.

They have already announced they plan to open 30 bars nationwide in the next few years so no real surprise that they are already looking at Cork. I'd expect Galway and Waterford to be next on their radar followed by the bigger towns like Sligo, Athlone, Kilkenny, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Seaneh wrote: »
    They have already announced they plan to open 30 bars nationwide in the next few years so no real surprise that they are already looking at Cork. I'd expect Galway and Waterford to be next on their radar followed by the bigger towns like Sligo, Athlone, Kilkenny, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda, etc.

Stag/hen party towns might get a look in to, Mullingar, Carrick on Shannon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I, for one, am looking forward to the arrival of our new overlords. More variety sounds like a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish_goat wrote: »
    Stag/hen party towns might get a look in to, Mullingar, Carrick on Shannon etc.

Who goes to Mullingar for a stag or hen? :eek:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Who goes to Mullingar for a stag or hen? :eek:

Maybe these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8&t=3m20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Heard from a local publican that wetherspoons are looking to buy an old pub in Carlow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Owryan wrote: »
    Heard from a local publican that wetherspoons are looking to buy an old pub in Carlow .

Town or county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The john tyndall site in Carlow town .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Owryan wrote: »
    The john tyndall site in Carlow town .

Ah right. It's been so long since I was in it that I'm not really sure of the layout. I'd say it'd do pretty well.

Could it be a cheaper version of The Barge with similar clientèle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone know when the Weatherspoon in Blackrock will open? Will it be before Xmas. I'm dreaming of some cask IPA!!

I was in Tampere in Finland last week and wandered into an Irish bar there called O'Connells. Tried a pint of Brew Dog Punk IPA and fell in love instantly!! See http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa and https://vimeo.com/9161176#

I don't suppose this is available on tap anywhere in Dublin????

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

BenThere wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Weatherspoon in Blackrock will open? Will it be before Xmas. I'm dreaming of some cask IPA!!

I was in Tampere in Finland last week and wandered into an Irish bar there called O'Connells. Tried a pint of Brew Dog Punk IPA and fell in love instantly!! See http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa and https://vimeo.com/9161176#

I don't suppose this is available on tap anywhere in Dublin????

Ben

Cassidy's of Westmorland street & their sister pub (whose name escapes me) should have it on tap. They defo have bottles, as do many other pubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement