Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up new simple web site

Options
  • 15-04-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

I have set up VERY basic web sites before.
    Typically I might have paid $100 for some online tool that got me up an running.

However, that was several years ago.

WHat is the best user-friendly tool that I can use to set up a new web site.
    I will not be able to program but can manage some simple technical stuff.
    My web site will have a max of 2 pages and will have little or no sophistication.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Something like Wordpress is very easy to use and there are a number of free templates around that you can skin your site with. There are other CMS that you could use but I think Wordpress would be the most user friendly. Failing that you could look for some open source web templates to use where you would add the content yourself. And failing that you can get someone do it for you (this is the one that costs ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What do you mean by setting it up? Starting from scratch and designing it, or just getting the files on to an external webserver?

If it's the former, then download a good text editor (there are loads out there; I like crimson editor) and a free image program (e.g. GIMP / Paint.net / PhotoFiltre). Look at site templates from places like www.oswd.org and see how it all fits together.

If it's the latter, then most hosting packages will have a web based file manager that allows you to upload files easily. Or, of course, just use FTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What type of website do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Hi, for the easiest editing website edit and create, i recommend u to use a cms like drupal or wordpress..theres loads of themes there for you, and it's not hard to work with cms.
    Most webhosting companies like godaddy, register123 and yotehosting.com (im part of) will install wordpress or joomla or drupal for u automatically, you just login and edit ur website..its not that complicated, and if u have problems,u can come and ask us or ur host.

or u could use an open source theme and upload via ftp and edit in the filemanager..

Advertisement