Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can be done with a macbook pro?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭

hi all. im thinking of getting a macbook pro - definitely like the style (currently have a g4 aluminium) - apart from the fact its a bit slow sometimes (even on 1.25gb ram), with firefox and a few other things.

what i really like is the fact that win xp can be run on it.

for that, i have a question. i like watching online football, and would need the picture to be exported via s-video. is it possible to do that with the win xp?does it use all the hardware available on board? i know vpc didnt use some things.

which is better?vmware, bootcamp or parallels ?

i definitely will get wireless and usb 2 and svideo out with the win xp installed? any restrictions as to what cannot be done with the win xp running on the macbook?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

What's the point of buying a Mac (hell, a Macbook Pro!!!) if you're going to run Windows on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Bootcamp is better if you want a good working Windows OS that can do virtually everything it's supposed to do on a non-Mac. Haven't found anything it can't do yet.

Parallels is very handy for transferring files etc. between Windows and OSX instantaneously and if you want OSX to be your primary OS and only need to 'dip-in' to Windows every now and then [Bootcamp puts it on a new partition, therefore, you need to reboot every time you need to use it].

Get both! :)

Never tried VMware.
    Nala wrote:
    What's the point of buying a Mac (hell, a Macbook Pro!!!) if you're going to run Windows on it???
    Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Fusion and Parallels are handiest when running a limited number of Windows apps that you would like to run quickly without rebooting your machine, I find.

I find Bootcamp faster and better for using Windows as an OS, rather than running individual apps.

As for the football.... whatever apps you can run on your usual Windows installation to record your TV, you can run the same apps on Bootcamp. They may be marginally slower, although probably not. The issue will be the hardware but I would think you should be safe enough in this case. Not all peripherals and component behave well under Bootcamp but for the most part you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

hi lads. thanks for the replies. pretty much says it all. i was reading up a bit on bootcamp. apart from a few small issues, it sounds good. (except right click and eject button?) its still beta, but all reviews on bootcamp date from 2006, so im not too sure what kind of progress has been made from version 1.1.2 to 1.4 now. maybe someone has the know how to tell me how its become better now?

i think ill stick to bootcamp and not parallels. would like the xp running only ( and then switch to mac at odd times). isight i think works now as well as the internal microphone (big plus as i skype home a lot).

i wonder if the 802.11n is good?im thinking of investing in an apple extreme base station to get the n capability as the house i live in currently has terrible signal distribution. router downstairs and i can manage 1 bar which disconnects very often while im on the first floor on top of it. i even bought a directional antenna for that g router.

should i get the 179 apple extreme or go 149 for a belkin n router? difference is the apple one has usb capability, offering print server and hard disk support....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've been considering going down the mac road now too, since the switch to intel and the possibility of running windows natively.

I'm wondering if a macbook is worth the hefty price tag for the specs and size by comparison to a similar dell or sony option, if anyone with more experience has any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Probably better off moving this thread or asking those questions over with us in the Mac forum. Certainly for the OS specific questions and queries about running XP. Also, if you are looking for Mac users opinions, this would be the place to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

440Hz wrote:
    Probably better off moving this thread or asking those questions over with us in the Mac forum.

Ok, but I don't want Mac users to feel they aren't welcome over here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

humbert wrote:
    I've been considering going down the mac road now too, since the switch to intel and the possibility of running windows natively.

I'm wondering if a macbook is worth the hefty price tag for the specs and size by comparison to a similar dell or sony option, if anyone with more experience has any suggestions?

If you compare like with like there isn't a huge difference in price.

If you want to play with a Mac, you'll need a Mac to do it.

tom dunne wrote:
    Ok, but I don't want Mac users to feel they aren't welcome over here. :)

hehe! we'd never think that! Sure we know "ye" love us. "ye" are all Mac-lovers in disguise!

Advertisement