Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alienware or Dell XPS?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok, i'm planning on buying a gaming laptop but I can't decide whether to buy the Alienware Area 51 M9750 or the Dell XPS M1710.

The Alienware would be configured with the following:

17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD with Clearview Technology
    Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    Single Drive Configuration: 160GB Serial ATA 5,400 RPM Hybrid Drive w/ 256MB flash memory

gallery_creative01_big.jpg

Total Including VAT and Delivery: €1999.17

The Dell XPS M1710 would be configured with the following:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7400 Processor (2.16GHz,667MHz,4MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX graphics card
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

dell-xps-1710.jpg

Total Including VAT and Delivery: €1929.00 (On Offer until 29th) The usual price is: €2049.00

So, what do you think I should buy? I know the Dell XPS is better but I want a balance of three things: excellent build quality, excellent performance and excellent looking.

Cheers,
    EI756.:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

GO for the xps id say,i have one of them with similar specs to the one you posted except i have 1 gig of ram,and i've had no problems with it really,tis a good laptop :) of the 2 laptops,the dell has the better specs,have no experience of alienware but there suppose varly powerful laptops,oh and keep in mind if you do decide to go with dell,theres a delay with them shipping laptops well there was anyway for the last for wks not sure if its still there,anyway that my 2cents but do let us know which one you go for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The alienware looks great... *drool*

That's what i'd go with...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd go with the xps. I think it looks better and it's got a better processor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

It's a hard decision, hmmm, the Alienware looks great, here's another picture of the keypad area:

gallery_creative04_big.jpg

Now does that look good or what? Those controls near the screen are touch sensitive by the way. Here's the XPS's keypad:

dell_xps_m1710_1.jpg

I think the Alienware looks better, the only downside to it is the resolution compared to the XPS, and the processor, but it's only 160MHz slower, that doesn't really count, does it? :rolleyes:
    I'm going to wait and see about more replies, then it'll be time to decide. I'll let you know my decision:D

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think the Alienware looks better, the only downside to it is the resolution compared to the XPS, and the processor, but it's only 160MHz slower, that doesn't really count, does it? :rolleyes:

well ya it does make a difference,the faster the processor the better,your gonna be able to play better games,how much is it for 2.16 processor with alienware?

• Advertisement

well ya it does make a difference,the faster the processor the better,your gonna be able to play better games,how much is it for 2.16 processor with alienware?

Well maybe I could overclock the Alienware. Anyway, to get the 2.16GHz, it's an extra €203 which is a ridiculous price imo. Overclocking is an option here but at the same time I don't want to drain the battery. The Dell XPS is much better value, bigger res, faster proc.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

The XPS is better, the screen alone is worth it. I have one and it rocks.

Well maybe I could overclock the Alienware. Anyway, to get the 2.16GHz, it's an extra €203 which is a ridiculous price imo. Overclocking is an option here but at the same time I don't want to drain the battery. The Dell XPS is much better value, bigger res, faster proc.

hmm thats alot alright......man you have one tuff decision on your hands :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

All right looks wise I don't know which I'd go for now. The dell looks better from the outside but the keypad area of the alienware looks better than the dell. I'd still go with the dell overall though given the better specs.

Lord Oz wrote:
    The XPS is better, the screen alone is worth it. I have one and it rocks.

Is it the same spec as I have above? Also can you tell me what the battery is like and how long it took to deliver? And in general, was it a good buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

It's a no brainer to be honest,

The Dell is technically better, cheaper,

Much better screen.

Looks wise they are about even.

Dell all the way.

Ok, guys I think it's going to be the Dell XPS M1710. They also have much better warranty service etc. So the Dell it is.
    Thanks for the replies.

Is it the same spec as I have above? Also can you tell me what the battery is like and how long it took to deliver? And in general, was it a good buy?

I have a xps and my specs are similar to yours,except i have 1 gig of ram your getting two,i got it last december,ordered it on a monday had it by thursday,and ya im happy with it,id say go for it :) the battery is alright it'll last between 2-3 hrs its depends on what tasks your doing,but it wont last long if your playing games (but maybe thats just mine:rolleyes: )

The spec was more or less the same, I bought it a year ago so it had a 7900gtx instead of a 7950gtx. Battery life isn't too bad, maybe 2.5 to 3 hours with wireless and high brightness. Delivery was only a few days. It's been a great machine and I'm playing Bioshock on full at 1920x1200 with it.
    You might want to wait for this though :http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/23/dell-m1730-gets-confirmed-specs-and-release-date/

Lord Oz wrote:
    The graphics card isn't as good as the one he's getting now. Processor is better though.

The graphics card isn't as good as the one he's getting now. Processor is better though.
    The graphics are SLI.

Lord Oz wrote:
    The graphics are SLI.
    It doesn't say that anywhere on the site. Even still 2 graphics cards are not always better than 1.

It doesn't say that anywhere on the site. Even still 2 graphics cards are not always better than 1.
    Sorry that page is a little outdated, I saw it here: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/dells-xps-m1730-gets-more-specs-more-pics/

Lord Oz wrote:
    Sorry that page is a little outdated, I saw it here: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/dells-xps-m1730-gets-more-specs-more-pics/
    Ah right. Cheers for that. I'd still say a 7950gtx would out perform 2 8700gt's. Plus it would use less power and create less heat I'd imagine. Can't wait for them to make 8800 mobile parts.

Ok, guys I think it's going to be the Dell XPS M1710. They also have much better warranty service etc. So the Dell it is.
    Thanks for the replies.

good choice!:) i just hope it does'nt get delayed :eek: like everyones elses xps :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just so you know dell = alienware. same company.

Cremo wrote:
    just so you know dell = alienware. same company.
    Not necessarily. Dell own alienware. They may still be different in terms of build quality and so on.

Yes, I know Dell own Alienware - that's a good thing. Just so all you guys know, i'm not a noob, lol. I've built computers, built websites etc, and as you've probably guessed, i'm a gamer.
    Sephiroith dude, how long are these delays taking?

Not sure really,it can vary,depends on what machine you get,they had a shortage of lcd screens and most orders were delayed by up to 6wks,i dunno what the story is now though I think they might have sorted it out,id say ring them up and ask them.

Good idea. I'll do that.

And I see your going with vista are ya over xp :P?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Not sure really,it can vary,depends on what machine you get,they had a shortage of lcd screens and most orders were delayed by up to 6wks,i dunno what the story is now though I think they might have sorted it out,id say ring them up and ask them.

Dell XPS M1330....

Ordered: 05/07/07
    Delivery Date: 05/09/07

Enough said....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

jamieh wrote:
    Dell XPD M1330....

Delivery Date: 05/07/07

Nuff said....:mad:

Wow, Ordered and delivered on the same day

That's pretty damn impressive from Dell

And I see your going with vista are ya over xp :P?

You must be joking! I'll order it with vista, I have XP on disc here so i'll install that on it when I get it. But at least I can install vista on it again if I want....when SP1 comes out and the drivers are as good as the XP drivers.

• Advertisement

jamieh wrote:
    Dell XPD M1330....

Delivery Date: 05/07/07

Nuff said....:mad:

Wow, that was good! Did you pay extra for delivery?

Sorry for the double post.

Advertisement